• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA committee chair discusses process

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

They aren't going to leave out a 12-6 Big East team.

At 12-6, our RPI and SOS will be high enough for an at large bid. If we were to beat Cincinnati and WVU it would improve our resume. We could even take Cincinnati's place in the tournament. WVU looks to be in where their RPI and SOS are right now.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If we go 12-6, with losses to UL and Cuse, please don't come on here saying we were robbed. I think the general sentiment is, no way. From the experts, from the local media, and from pretty much everyone else on here.

Big wins matter. We really lack them. And even with WVU, we'll need a UL or Cuse win (or deep BE tourney run) to really be in the argument.

Again. Take a moment to look at the past. Specifically, teams with 13+ losses.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

At 12-6, our RPI and SOS will be high enough for an at large bid. If we were to beat Cincinnati and WVU it would improve our resume. We could even take Cincinnati's place in the tournament. WVU looks to be in where their RPI and SOS are right now.

WVU is in a tail spin right now. If we beat Pitt at their house and Cin and WVU at home, we will be in. Syracuse in NY is too much to think about and i wouldn't count on UL away, they are playing pretty well even after the scare at DPU. WVU has a nightmare schedule with ND in South bend, MU at home and at the fine Forum to close. They also have a walkover with DPU in Morgantown. But if they went 1-3 to close they would be 8-10 BE and 18-13 overall with a fresh loss at USF for the bracketologists.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

They're not leaving out a 12-6BE team, even after the article quoting the chairman of the selection committee says they dont look at conference record? BE is way down this year and 12-6 does not mean what you seem to think it does. This might be true if we didnt lose to Auburn, Penn State and ODU.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

4 or 5 years ago there was a Cuse team that won 20 games, went 10-6 in conference but didn't go to the NCAAT because of lack of "good" wins. I see us in the same boat without a win in NY or Kentucky ...

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Que up the Seth Greenberg post tournament selection quotes from Virginia Tech. We AREN'T even going to be mentioned as one of the last teams in when this is all said and done. The Big East is extremely down this year (they'll get six teams with maybe a seventh team sliding in that hasn't lost to the likes of Penn State and Auburn). I would like to get my hopes up, but I'm a realist. We have 0 quality wins (let me spell this out: Z-E-R-O) and just beating Syracuse or Louisville isn't going to get it done. If you beat them both, then we'll be in the discussion. We don't travel well (yes, that plays a part folks - we're talking about the "For Profit" NCAA). I'd like to think we're entitled for a NCAA tourney shot since we've been down for so MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY years (count the N's - it will tell you how many years we've been out of the tourney)... it's not happening though without a sweep of the Cuse and the Ville. Maybe I'm just being a realist for once. I didn't expect us to win this many games (it's a nice surprise)... so getting my hopes up over a tourney bid when I've seen other teams with wins on their resume over the #1 ranked school in the country in years past get left out in the cold, I seem to know better.

Here's reality... We've lost four games by 20 points or more (these are all NCAA tourney bound teams by the way). We've lost to the worst team in the Big 10. We've lost to a team wallowing away near the bottom of the SEC standings. Our biggest wins... a ranked Seton Hall (at the time), Vermont (the first game of the season), and Cleveland State. I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell if you believe this is a NCAA tourney worthy resume.

Heck, if I asked someone if a 16-10 team with wins over the following three schools above would be tourney worthy, I'd think they'd laugh at me for being that completely insane.

On a brighter note (I mean we are located in Florida, right) - at least baseball and softball are off to great starts with actual quality wins.

Sorry for pissing on your Wheaties guys and gals... When we were #2 in the nation in football, I honestly felt we had a legitimate claim at that spot based on our wins to date. Thinking NCAA tourney though with this bunch is beyond realistic (now I hope our guys take my post and use it as bulletin board fodder).

Either way... hoping for the best... but tempering expectations with reality.

• Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

I would love to us in the NCAAs but I don't think we would make any kind of run....just look at our performances against Kansas, Gtown, Marquette.

If we look at it as a program builder, wouldn't it benefit us more to get a higher seed in the NIT and make a run (possibly win it) than to get in as a 14-16 seed and be out by the 1st round?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,478
  • Days Won:  13

I would love to us in the NCAAs but I don't think we would make any kind of run....just look at our performances against Kansas, Gtown, Marquette.

If we look at it as a program builder, wouldn't it benefit us more to get a higher seed in the NIT and make a run (possibly win it) than to get in as a 14-16 seed and be out by the 1st round?

we would be at worst a 12 seed, Big East teams dont go in as 16 seeds, I would rather make the tourney and lose in the 1st round than win the NIT.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Again. Take a moment to look at the past. Specifically, teams with 13+ losses.

The past is the past. Without even looking I know they have let in some teams with 13+ loses.

The committee chair said what he before the season is over. I think everyone here is in agreement that we're not a tournament team right now, but going 3-2 the rest of the way in gives us a good case. We would have also won 6 of 8 going into the Big East tournament. The committee will be aware of that and the fact that we missed Poland the first 11 games, Collins for 5 and Gus for some.

• Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

we would be at worst a 12 seed, Big East teams dont go in as 16 seeds, I would rather make the tourney and lose in the 1st round than win the NIT.

Well I would have to disagree.....just because we are a BE team does not mean that we are would get a 12 or higher. If we looked at the resume of this team without any green-gold goggles, I dont think many would argue for this team being a tourney team. That said, as much as I want them in there I don't know that as of today they belong in the conversation. And to me, could be wrong, an NIT run and a championship if it should come to that would be worth more than and done in the NCAAs. If we go to the NIT we are almost a lock for a home game maybe two....I don't see a one and done for this team in the NIT.

Archived