• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big 12 expansion again?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

The word crotchety comes to mind

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

you ever notice that these tweets or speculation always happen right after the BE makes a move(announcing that Navy will be joining).......its like the puppetmaster ESPN is creating uncertainty about our conference every time it does something positive

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

The word crotchety comes to mind

Crotchety works, as does senile. All this dancing started with his freaking conference, whether he was there or not at the time ...

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Not surprising, I don't think we are any longer viewed as a program on the way up.

we are not considered because we wouldn't add enough to the following:

1. TV deals

2. Bowl deals

3. Conference Prestige (academically or athletically)

Doesn't really have much to do with being on the way up. I'm sure you already know that though :P

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Hard to believe that a gambling man like you would still have a third testicle at this age.

Ok that is funny.

• Content Count:  4,078

Which is more appealing, a FSU/Clemson less ACC or the BEast in 2013?

Thats actually a good question...

No it isn't, ACC is still a better, stable conference. Every team in the Big East will jump ship if given the chance. IF USF were to get an invite, we better take it.

It might be more stable but not better. See the Orange Bowl this last season and see mediocre USF's record the last 5 years vs. ACC. The ACC has no intention of taking USF so get over it. We are fortunate to this day to be in the Big East and need to figure out quick how to make it work.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Not surprising, I don't think we are any longer viewed as a program on the way up.

we are not considered because we wouldn't add enough to the following:

1. TV deals

2. Bowl deals

3. Conference Prestige (academically or athletically)

Doesn't really have much to do with being on the way up. I'm sure you already know that though :P

We got into the Big East on potential, at least that's how I understand it (certainly not the three things you mention above). We sold the program on it's newness and rapid ascent. We added to that the potential for what we could do, what we could become.

You can deny the program has lost traction, that's fine. We stumbled in '04 and now in '11. Hopefully we right the program and become something attractive again and perhaps doors open again.

• Content Count:  1,011

Which is more appealing, a FSU/Clemson less ACC or the BEast in 2013?

Thats actually a good question...

No it isn't, ACC is still a better, stable conference. Every team in the Big East will jump ship if given the chance. IF USF were to get an invite, we better take it.

It might be more stable but not better. See the Orange Bowl this last season and see mediocre USF's record the last 5 years vs. ACC. The ACC has no intention of taking USF so get over it. We are fortunate to this day to be in the Big East and need to figure out quick how to make it work.

The perception will always be that the Big East is the weakest BCS conference. Even without FSU or Clemson, the rest of the schools of the ACC will be considered better in both academics and athletics. The Big East doesn't have the historically successful programs. Pitt, Cuse, FSU, Miami, and Clemson have all won national championships. When the new teams come in, the Big East will be looked at as a glorified mid major conference, regardless of how well the teams perform.

I don't think USF will be invited to the ACC or the Big 12, so I don't need to "get over it". However, IF FSU were to leave the ACC (unlikely), I think USF would get a hard look as a replacement in FL. It would be a tremendous improvement in either of those conferences.

I do agree though, that we are lucky to be in the BE. A program that is 15 years old to be in an AQ conference is great. That is where my fear comes in. If the Big East falls apart we could end up in the MWCUSA. Once you are in an AQ, you can't go back. It would hurt the program for years.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

You can deny the program has lost traction, that's fine. We stumbled in '04 and now in '11. Hopefully we right the program and become something attractive again and perhaps doors open again.

your argument that we are not considered because we are no longer "on the rise" or "stumbling" makes no sense given the fact that we had our worst season in '04 and were in the Big East the following year.

conference expansion has diddly squat to do with rising programs. Cuse and Pitt weren't invited because their football programs are "on the rise" or offer quality product on the field. aTm and Mizzou weren't invited to the SEC because they were the creme of the Big XII. we weren't invited to the Big East for the '05 season because we dominated CUSA and were a midmajor powerhouse.

it's all about markets and $$$. period. one losing season since joining a BCS conference didn't destroy our viability as an option for other conferences, it's all about filling financial needs in a given circumstance.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

You may be right, but there remains little doubt this program has lost the reputation it once had for its quick rise. It has flattened if not turned down. That's basically what I initially said if you don't care to go back and read.

Archived