• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Egbunu C / Drew Davis PG, Eagles Landing HS, McDonough GA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Egbunu is very consistent. He gets his dunks every game(some are real NASTY) and whenever he goes against another top post player he pretty much losses the individual match-up. Egbunu is still very raw on the offensive end. I'm anxious to see how that area of his game will develop at USF. The Latest...check out the dunk at 1:14 of the video, nassstttttyyyyyyy!!!!!

Battles: Austin Nichols vs John Egbunu at Penny Hardaway HoopFest

Starting what will now be a recurring series on CityLeagueHoops, we’ve decided to focus on key matchups of marquee players. When I grew up, it was always almost folk-lore hearing about Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry vye for the #1 pick in the 2001 NBA Draft (note: Kwame Brown got it) at KMOX in Missouri, or when I watched Anthony Roberson and Sean Dockery both go for 50 at an AAU tournament I played in, then had none of my friends believe me when I told them. Luckily in today’s YouTube generation, we now have the video to back it up.

On the final day of the 2013 Penny Hardaway HoopFest, John Egbunu and Austin Nichols went head to head. Nichols walked away with the victory and better stat line, posting 23 and 13 to John Egbunu’s 16 and 12, but both gave the fans a glimpse at the rivalry that will continue in the Big East once Memphis joins next season.

Taking a closer look at individual performances, we’ll start with Nichols. What impressed me most about him is that he knows his strengths and weaknesses, and rarely tries to step outside of them. After getting very limited touches in the first half, Nichols became more of a focal point in the offense. He beat Egbunu down the floor every time and was a monster rebounding his area defensively. The Memphis recruit showed off great hands, catching anything thrown his way and usually finishing with a dunk. Austin’s efficient play led Briarcrest to the win in double OT, but he could have easily finished with 30+ had he got the proper amount of touches.

The bigger, rawer Egbunu impacted the game in a different way. He was more of a presence defensively, using his chiseled frame and wingspan to do more than just block shots. He constantly detoured cutters off of their paths by bumping them and matched Nichols effort in terms of making him work for position on the blocks. The South Florida recruit sent the crowd into a frenzy with one of his many dunks, showing the way that he can rim run out of a pick and roll, a la Dwight Howard. Despite battling a back injury that left him visibly hampered in both games he played in Memphis, the near 7-footer looked much more athletic than when we last saw him at the NBA Top 100 Camp and appears destined for a very productive career at South Florida.

http://youtu.be/W2MfbEOFamU

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He keeps boarding.  I like that

He keeps boarding.  I like that

All yeah he gets rebounds and most of the time he boxes out his man which is something you have to do regardless if you are blessed with supreme athletic ability.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Vega, are you hearing about any other non-finesse players that can help USF in the frontcourt next season? We need some goons to grab boards and free up some of our more athletic wing players that we got in last recruiting cycle.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wow. How often do we get recruits compared to Dwight Howard??

Vega, are you hearing about any other non-finesse players that can help USF in the frontcourt next season? We need some goons to grab boards and free up some of our more athletic wing players that we got in last recruiting cycle.

I agree we really need to add another big body guy to compete with Egbunu for minutes at center. Omogbehin just doesn't appear to be the answer. I haven't seen anything out there yet, but hopefully in another month or so a potential candidate will emerge.

PF Demetrius Henry is still the main target. He isn't the physical built player like Egbunu, but he is 6-10 and aggressive. Very good rebounder and shot blocker. Imo we have a better chance at getting him if we do the package deal with Niem Stevenson. Texas and Miami are trying to do that.

Wow. How often do we get recruits compared to Dwight Howard??

The crowd reaction when Egbunu dunks on that guy keeps me laughing

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Egbunu is very consistent. He gets his dunks every game(some are real NASTY) and whenever he goes against another top post player he pretty much losses the individual match-up. Egbunu is still very raw on the offensive end. I'm anxious to see how that area of his game will develop at USF. The Latest...check out the dunk at 1:14 of the video, nassstttttyyyyyyy!!!!!

Battles: Austin Nichols vs John Egbunu at Penny Hardaway HoopFest

Starting what will now be a recurring series on CityLeagueHoops, we’ve decided to focus on key matchups of marquee players. When I grew up, it was always almost folk-lore hearing about Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry vye for the #1 pick in the 2001 NBA Draft (note: Kwame Brown got it) at KMOX in Missouri, or when I watched Anthony Roberson and Sean Dockery both go for 50 at an AAU tournament I played in, then had none of my friends believe me when I told them. Luckily in today’s YouTube generation, we now have the video to back it up.

On the final day of the 2013 Penny Hardaway HoopFest, John Egbunu and Austin Nichols went head to head. Nichols walked away with the victory and better stat line, posting 23 and 13 to John Egbunu’s 16 and 12, but both gave the fans a glimpse at the rivalry that will continue in the Big East once Memphis joins next season.

Taking a closer look at individual performances, we’ll start with Nichols. What impressed me most about him is that he knows his strengths and weaknesses, and rarely tries to step outside of them. After getting very limited touches in the first half, Nichols became more of a focal point in the offense. He beat Egbunu down the floor every time and was a monster rebounding his area defensively. The Memphis recruit showed off great hands, catching anything thrown his way and usually finishing with a dunk. Austin’s efficient play led Briarcrest to the win in double OT, but he could have easily finished with 30+ had he got the proper amount of touches.

The bigger, rawer Egbunu impacted the game in a different way. He was more of a presence defensively, using his chiseled frame and wingspan to do more than just block shots. He constantly detoured cutters off of their paths by bumping them and matched Nichols effort in terms of making him work for position on the blocks. The South Florida recruit sent the crowd into a frenzy with one of his many dunks, showing the way that he can rim run out of a pick and roll, a la Dwight Howard. Despite battling a back injury that left him visibly hampered in both games he played in Memphis, the near 7-footer looked much more athletic than when we last saw him at the NBA Top 100 Camp and appears destined for a very productive career at South Florida.

http://youtu.be/W2MfbEOFamU

Great vid, thanks. But can either of these guys play defense? LOL

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

I agree we really need to add another big body guy to compete with Egbunu for minutes at center. Omogbehin just doesn't appear to be the answer. I haven't seen anything out there yet, but hopefully in another month or so a potential candidate will emerge.

PF Demetrius Henry is still the main target. He isn't the physical built player like Egbunu, but he is 6-10 and aggressive. Very good rebounder and shot blocker. Imo we have a better chance at getting him if we do the package deal with Niem Stevenson. Texas and Miami are trying to do that.

-------------------

Where are we going to get the scholarships for those two because if no one else leaves besides seniors and all the recruits make it in we are at 13 ships.

-------------------

Where are we going to get the scholarships for those two because if no one else leaves besides seniors and all the recruits make it in we are at 13 ships.

Now you know Heath is going to have scholarships available this spring. USF always have scholarships available because for whatever reason we come up with, a guy or 2 transfer out. Personally I would be surprised if Omogbehin is brought back. Heath just doesn't have much patience if guys aren't showing him enough potential. Josh Heath can walkon at anytime because he's the son of the head coach. It wouldn't shock me if Zach LeDay transfers either. I like him, but if Henry can be gotten, what would his minutes be like?