• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU To Big 12: Not so Fast My Friend

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Houston expected to OK move

University of Houston regents will meet Thursday and are expected to give the chancellor authority to move the Cougars out of Conference USA to a new league, possibly the Big East.

The regents on Monday scheduled the special meeting to give university chancellor and president Renu Khator the authority to "execute a contract for athletic conference affiliation and to negotiate and provide notice of contract cancellation."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7145378/houston-cougars-regents-expected-authorize-conference-move

--> This is currently my favorite of the BE ``Save Our Ass`` expansion options. Houston is serious, was once a big time program in the SWC, and gives us a foothold in Texas.

Houston was a big time program for like three years in the early 90s...that's pretty much their relevant national history until Briles and Sumlin made them respectable in the CUSA.

They ain't saving this conference, Boise State and BYU will.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I still don't get why BYU would join the big East if they already turned down the B12. It really makes no sense to me how they are a realistic candidate.

• Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

I still don't get why BYU would join the big East if they already turned down the B12. It really makes no sense to me how they are a realistic candidate.

My understanding is that BYU won't play any sports on Sundays. If BYU were to join the Big XII, it would be for all sports, and the Big XII's teams don't want to restrict themselves to playing BYU in non-football sports only on days other than Sunday. On the other hand, a Big East invite would be only for football - the Big East wouldn't have to deal with the other sports playing or not playing on Sunday. Only football. And I think the Big East could guarantee BYU that it would never schedule an ESPN Sunday-night game (or any other football game) involving BYU on Sunday.

I think that's the issue, and why the Big East solves it, but the Big XII doesn't. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

football only. games aren't on sunday.

they don't want other sports to play on sundays. apparently tv wanted the option for a big 12 basketball championship game on sunday and BYU wouldn't play on a sunday.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

The reasons above, as well as the fact that the coach said they cant recruit against Big12 teams. He said he wouldnt do that to his guys. He can recruit against the BE though. Anyone can. Thats why they are being considered.

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

BYU would be a great football addition. Throw them a bone and schedule some home and away games in basketball each year. Next year we will schedule home games with both Pitt and Syracuse.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Once the leaches are removed from the Big East... assuming of course it remains together, then BYU, Air Force, Navy, and Boise will likely join as full members. There should be no issues with not scheduling BYU on Sunday... it should be easy to work around that.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Once the leaches are removed from the Big East... assuming of course it remains together, then BYU, Air Force, Navy, and Boise will likely join as full members. There should be no issues with not scheduling BYU on Sunday... it should be easy to work around that.

if it were easy the big 12 would have done it.

the location of these schools sans navy make it almost impossible to be full time members. no way will women's softball(as well as all other olympic sports) travel that far to play boise state or byu. the costs would be enormous and the logistics a nightmare.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

assuming of course it remains together, then BYU, Air Force, Navy, and Boise will likely join as full members

Every single program you mentioned would be a football only member of the Big East if they joined.

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Archived