• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Consideration from Big 12

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this would be a disaster

usf wouldnt be able to compete and costs would kill us

we are on a tight budget now

big 12 should take boise

this makes as much sense as boise going to big east

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hearing that BYU is out, and WVU might be in for next year, and the 27 month waiting period "won't be a problem".

I kind of wonder if the B12 won't just decide to take four or five BE teams so the schools all vote to do away with the waiting period and disband. It seems that some of the B12 schools would like to head that direction to get to 14 or 16 relatively quickly. Not likely to happen, but something will happen this week - mild or wild.

AND you kill a bcs conference

very interesting

That's one metric, but not the only one.

Fan attendance is in part dictated by who you play. A good example: right here in Tallahassee. FSU went almost a decade and a half in the top ten, and has a hard time getting more than 40K to games versus inferior conference opponents. On the other hand, when Oklahoma came to town, every seat was taken and there was an unbelievable buzz around town. It's hard to get folks excited about playing Maryland, NC State, Boston College, Syracuse, Cincy, Louisville, etc. Seems to me that would change if we had better-known, well-respected competition coming to town on a regular basis. I bet FSU would sell out every conference game if it were in the SEC instead of the ACC.

IMO, it's too simple to dismiss the possibility of USF being considered for the Big XII based upon fan attendance alone. If the Big XII enters the Florida market, it's not because USF's fanbase is large. It's because Tampa/St. Pete is large, and Florida is enticing. And the fanbase could grow if it gets a ticket to stable power conference.

nothing will change and it will get worse if usf cant compete on the football field

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I've seen scenarios involving USF before, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch. With that said, I'm still skeptical

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

If Mizzou leaves and the B12 needs to get to 10 teams in 2012 for their TV deal, they aren't going to be looking at the BE with a 27 month waiting period. They're gonna go elsewhere. Either BYU or Boise maybe? It won't be USF and it won't be WV or UL.

Great Point, but contracts can always be renegotiated.

I don't think BE Teams get considered unless B12 goes to 16.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Would you rather travel to Florida or West Virginia? Would you rather have a robust TV Market in Florida or something considerably less in West Virginia?

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7145629/no-departure-missouri-tigers-big-12-meeting

"The board of directors also discussed the possibility of creating a conference-wide television network, according to the release.

The Big 12 has previously discussed the possibility of creating a conference-wide network, but has yet to take any concrete steps to making it a reality."

Probably the only way we get in

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

don't hold your breath. just sayin'

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

this would be a disaster

I would disagree on both of your statements.

Upgrade in tv revenue alone would be a big help to the budget. We probably travel more in the Big East (non football sports) than we would in the Big 12.

Recruiting would improve as well.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

this would be a disaster

we are on a tight budget now

big 12 should take boise

this makes as much sense as boise going to big east

lol what?

So traveling to Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma is worse than Connecticut, New Jersey, and upstate New York? Not sure if srs.

Big12 pays more now than the BE. It will pay even more if they get a network and a new TV deal. I disagree on the competing part as well. Recruits would be excited to play against UT, OU, OKSt, etc. More than Syracuse and UConn for sure. It gives recruits a new, different, and sexy option.

However, I'm not buying it. Not holding my breath on this one.

Archived