• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches' Demeanor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I suspect I will get bombarded for this post, but hear me out.

I feel like Holtz and the coaches are too soft on the players.  I understand that Leavitt got ran off for going over the top, but look at the facts.  At the UCONN game, a winnable game, we had 4 turnovers (two ints two fumbles).  We called TO's for no reason.  We looked lathargic during parts of the game.  We had 9 penalties for 89 yards.  We made mistakes when we absolutely could not afford to.

Yet no players were benched, that I am aware of.  I didn't see Holtz or the Assistants getting into guys grills.  I didn't see any anger, or emotion, or anything except for positive reinforcement.  It looked like coaches were saying things like "that's okay, we'll get em next time" or "un luck".    More like terms of endearment.

I certainly don't want coaches to go over the top, but during the heat of the moment, and during tough games, I do want them to provide some extra motivation for the players.   That includes getting mad, making faces, yelling, or whatever is necessary.  Maybe not Brian Kelly or Spurrier crazy, but something a little more animated.  I just didn't see that in the past two losses to Pitt and Uconn.  I saw a bunch of players and coaches who seemed mostly content with where they were in the game. 

For any of you who ever played a team sport in your life, that "level of mellow" is just a bit uncommon.  And I am not convinced it works - especially if you look at the results.  Would love to see the coaches a little more emotionally attached than they appear to be.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

I suspect I will get bombarded for this post, but hear me out.

I feel like Holtz and the coaches are too soft on the players.  I understand that Leavitt got ran off for going over the top, but look at the facts.  At the UCONN game, a winnable game, we had 4 turnovers (two ints two fumbles).  We called TO's for no reason.  We looked lathargic during parts of the game.  We had 9 penalties for 89 yards.  We made mistakes when we absolutely could not afford to.

Yet no players were benched, that I am aware of.  I didn't see Holtz or the Assistants getting into guys grills.  I didn't see any anger, or emotion, or anything except for positive reinforcement.  It looked like coaches were saying things like "that's okay, we'll get em next time" or "un luck".    More like terms of endearment.

I certainly don't want coaches to go over the top, but during the heat of the moment, and during tough games, I do want them to provide some extra motivation for the players.   That includes getting mad, making faces, yelling, or whatever is necessary.  Maybe not Brian Kelly or Spurrier crazy, but something a little more animated.  I just didn't see that in the past two losses to Pitt and Uconn.  I saw a bunch of players and coaches who seemed mostly content with where they were in the game. 

For any of you who ever played a team sport in your life, that "level of mellow" is just a bit uncommon.  And I am not convinced it works - especially if you look at the results.  Would love to see the coaches a little more emotionally attached than they appear to be.

There's already been discussion or two about this in the cesspool of the last couple of days. Different coaches have different styles that work for them ... Bottom line, Skip's results are 84-57 as a head coach with conference championships and some quality ooc wins. I seriously doubt he has all of a sudden changed his coaching style these last two games.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Pretty sure that Scott was benched after his fumble.

Coach was all over the officiating after that 2nd roughing the passer call. Pretty sure I saw a couple of F-bombs dropped when they showed him.

• Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

Seemed to work for Dungy.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I think skip as coach and skip as face of the franchise are different.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Skip's demeanor is not an issue.  It is quite a reach to even bring it up. 

NFL is very different from NCAA.  Just like NCAA is very different from HS. 

Yelling in the NFL accomplishes little when you are dealing with twenty-something millionaires. 

Pretty sure that Scott was benched after his fumble.

Coach was all over the officiating after that 2nd roughing the passer call. Pretty sure I saw a couple of F-bombs dropped when they showed him.

Good to know, I didn't catch that.  I guess with Pitt and Uconn when we got clearly behind (and in this case making stupid mistakes) they seemed unfazed.  I kept looking for some sort of angst, but didn't see it....

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

His demeanor is good for a HC.  He probably knows it's the play calling that's the problem not his players which would explain his sideline activities, or lack thereof. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,045
  • Days Won:  469

chuckie.jpg

Archived