• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches' Demeanor

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

I certainly don't want coaches to go over the top, but during the heat of the moment, and during tough games, I do want them to provide some extra motivation for the players.   That includes getting mad, making faces, yelling, or whatever is necessary.  Maybe not Brian Kelly or Spurrier crazy, but something a little more animated. 

I like Skip and all, but I'd take either of those coaches over him ...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I love this board.  Leavitt's demeanor was a "problem" because it was perceived as being nonconducive to winning.  Now some are gone 180 the other way. 

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I love this board.  Leavitt's demeanor was a "problem" because it was perceived as being nonconducive to winning.  Now some are gone 180 the other way. 

Different strokes from the same fokes. 

• Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Holtz knows what the problem is.  He said it many times during fall camp.  It's depth.  We have very little depth at key positions....QB, CB, OL and DL.  Remember, how he complained during fall camp that the 2s aren't pushing the 1s and the 3s aren't pushing the 2s.  When you have depth you can sustain injuries and make personnel changes when the 1s aren't performing.

When he feels the gap is not that big between the 1s and the 2s, he will make a change.  That's why Scott got pulled for Murray when Scott fumbled and Watson started Saturday on the DL because he was outperforming the starters.  On the flip side, Eveld hasn't pushed BJ at all during practice and we've heard nothing about Floyd.  If Eveld was even remotely close to BJ, I'm sure we would have seen him.  Holtz isn't dumb it's just that his hands are tied.

Unfortunately for now BJ is our best option, so he has to try and make BJ a better QB (not sure if that's possible) rather than make a personnel change.  It's his only option. 

Moral of the story.....Recruit, Recruit, Recruit

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Holtz knows what the problem is.  He said it many times during fall camp.  It's depth.  We have very little depth at key positions....QB, CB, OL and DL.   Remember, how he complained during fall camp that the 2s aren't pushing the 1s and the 3s aren't pushing the 2s.  When you have depth you can sustain injuries and make personnel changes when the 1s aren't performing.

When he feels the gap is not that big between the 1s and the 2s, he will make a change.  That's why Scott got pulled for Murray when Scott fumbled and Watson started Saturday on the DL because he was outperforming the starters.   On the flip side, Eveld hasn't pushed BJ at all during practice and we've heard nothing about Floyd.  If Eveld was even remotely close to BJ, I'm sure we would have seen him.  Holtz isn't dumb it's just that his hands are tied.

Unfortunately for now BJ is our best option, so he has to try and make BJ a better QB (not sure if that's possible) rather than make a personnel change.  It's his only option. 

That's nonsense and if you don't know that it's nonsense I can't help you.  We were playing one of the worst pass defenses in Div 1 and one without their best CB.  We ran up the gut, not because of depth but because we had a horrible and offensive game plan on offense.  Plain and Simple.  If they wanted to throw and couldn't with BJ, they should have put in Eveld or Floyd, or who cares but at least someone who can throw a forward pass respectably.  We come out after half and drive down for a score by throwing against a weak defense (BJ 5 for 5 with some runs on roll outs).  Next series we run up the gut and punt.  Next series we run up the gut and fail (many failures on 3rd down) on 3rd down.  That was typical of yesterday.  Run directly at the strength of the UCONN defense and avoid throwing the ball which is their weakness.  Moral of that story.........Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

P.S. You can't get decent recruits if you indicate to those said recruits that your coaching plans are STUPID.  They tend to go where the coaches are smart and have game plans that someone could reasonably expect a win implementing.

• Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Holtz knows what the problem is.  He said it many times during fall camp.  It's depth.  We have very little depth at key positions....QB, CB, OL and DL.   Remember, how he complained during fall camp that the 2s aren't pushing the 1s and the 3s aren't pushing the 2s.  When you have depth you can sustain injuries and make personnel changes when the 1s aren't performing.

When he feels the gap is not that big between the 1s and the 2s, he will make a change.  That's why Scott got pulled for Murray when Scott fumbled and Watson started Saturday on the DL because he was outperforming the starters.   On the flip side, Eveld hasn't pushed BJ at all during practice and we've heard nothing about Floyd.  If Eveld was even remotely close to BJ, I'm sure we would have seen him.  Holtz isn't dumb it's just that his hands are tied.

That's nonsense and if you don't know that it's nonsense I can't help you.  We were playing one of the worst pass defenses in Div 1 and one without their best CB.  We ran up the gut, not because of depth but because we had a horrible and offensive game plan on offense.  Plain and Simple.  If they wanted to throw and couldn't with BJ, they should have put in Eveld or Floyd, or who cares but at least someone who can throw a forward pass respectably.  We come out after half and drive down for a score by throwing against a weak defense (BJ 5 for 5 with some runs on roll outs).  Next series we run up the gut and punt.  Next series we run up the gut and fail (many failures on 3rd down) on 3rd down.  That was typical of yesterday.  Run directly at the strength of the UCONN defense and avoid throwing the ball which is their weakness.  Moral of that story.........Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

P.S. You can't get decent recruits if you indicate to those said recruits that your coaching plans are STUPID.  They tend to go where the coaches are smart and have game plans that someone could reasonably expect a win implementing.

We were playing one of the worst pass defenses in college football.  However, our QB is even worse at mastering the art of the accurate downffeld pass and bubble screens don't count.  If you can't see that then I can't help you.  Our coaches have zero confidence in him and it's quite obvious  And if you think Eveld is better you must have missed the FAMU and UTEP games.  Our strength is running the fooball and they went with our strength.  I'm not defending all of the play calls,.  Fitch could have definitely called a  better game, but right now we are hamstrung as an offense by our QBs inablitity to throw the ball down the field and that is dictating the game plans.

• Content Count:  4,259

We were playing one of the worst pass defenses in college football.  However, our QB is even worse at mastering the art of the accurate downffeld pass and bubble screens don't count.   If you can't see that then I can't help you.   Our coaches have zero confidence in him and it's quite obvious  And if you think Eveld is better you must have missed the FAMU and UTEP games.  Our strength is running the fooball and they went with our strength.  I'm not defending all of the play calls,.  Fitch could have definitely called a  better game, but right now we are hamstrung as an offense by our QBs inablitity to throw the ball down the field and that is dictating the game plans.

I agree with you, USF is hamstrung by having BJ Daniels as our QB.  However, in the series just after the half, he didn't throw just bubble screens.  He hit Sterling Griffin for a couple of long pass plays that weren't bubble screens.  That worked and then we never saw that effort again until near the end of the 4th when we were down.  The coaching should help to make up for our lack of a good downfield passer, however, it isn't and going at teams in a one dimensional fashion will not allow us the opportunity at another single win this season.  Isn't that clearly evident by now?

• Content Count:  7,201

I for one liked Leavitt and didn't have a problem with his animated motions.

That last season, though, he was a bit overboard.  Coming out with the bloody nose a couple of times.  And the ultimate smaking the player around (allegedly), sealed the deal for him.  I thought firing was a bit extreme.

It is not that I don't like Holtz, but the entire staff seems to be lethargic during games, especially when we are behind.  When I am ranting, raving, and threatening to kick a hole in my TV, and I am just a fan, who doesn't have money riding on it like the coaches do - there is something wrong.

Coaches get paid on wins.  They get paid for bowls.  They get paid for successful seasons.  They are supposed to use tools availalbe to them to motivate the players and to get the most out of them.  Last year was a good indication.  Look how many guys were in the NFL or at least made it to teams early on (like 9 or 10) but we couldn't win many games.  We did not get the most out of our players.  That is on the coaches.

THe single biggest, and noticeable, difference I have seen is the lack of emotion on the sideline.  Praise is good when things are going well, but it is OKAY for a football coach to get upset when things are going bad and to demand more from the players. 

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I for one liked Leavitt and didn't have a problem with his animated motions.

That last season, though, he was a bit overboard.  Coming out with the bloody nose a couple of times.  And the ultimate smaking the player around (allegedly), sealed the deal for him.   I thought firing was a bit extreme.

It is not that I don't like Holtz, but the entire staff seems to be lethargic during games, especially when we are behind.  When I am ranting, raving, and threatening to kick a hole in my TV, and I am just a fan, who doesn't have money riding on it like the coaches do - there is something wrong.

Coaches get paid on wins.  They get paid for bowls.  They get paid for successful seasons.   They are supposed to use tools availalbe to them to motivate the players and to get the most out of them.  Last year was a good indication.  Look how many guys were in the NFL or at least made it to teams early on (like 9 or 10) but we couldn't win many games.  We did not get the most out of our players.  That is on the coaches.

THe single biggest, and noticeable, difference I have seen is the lack of emotion on the sideline.  Praise is good when things are going well, but it is OKAY for a football coach to get upset when things are going bad and to demand more from the players. 

The comment wasn't necessarily directed at you as I don't recall your position on this.  But there was a lot of commentary about Leavitt's persona over the years.  Personally I like my defense fired up and flying around.  They look a little to business like, but I just watch the games.

Archived