• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is Like Christmas UM & UA struck down

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

This thread is kind of embarassing.  I totally get the knee-jerk reaction to laugh and make fun, but this is really bad stuff.  It's the kind of thing that could bury their program for the next decade and I hope that none of you really want that.  I want to see us succeed on our own merit, not rise above another program because of something like this.

Don't get me wrong, they brought it on themselves and dwserve punishment. I just feel bad that a lot of people that had nothing to do with this stuff are going to feel the brunt of the consequences.  Sad day for UM fans and I feel bad for them.

It might just be because I'm not a nice human being, but I have no problem with burying their program. Mostly because of the following:

1. I am in no way responsible for any of the infractions

2. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that supports these allegations

3. It is impossible for every team to win the National Championship on a yearly basis; if we have to play by the rules, so do they.

They broke the rules - It helps my team if they do poorly - Fire a canon through the hull and watch it sink.

[edit] I also see no possible way that Miami does not receive the death penalty, if these infractions are found to be true. [/edit]

wow think of all the innocent fans. one rogue booster is all it takes. I hope it never happens to us.

I have no idea if you read the article or not, but this was not an isolated incident caused by a rogue booster; this was a pattern of blatant violations viewed and ignored by highly paid officials of UM athletics. If this was a rogue booster who once gave a guy a thousand dollars because he needed another TV, that'd be another case, but it's not. Some of these incidents go back as far as 2002 and carry on until he was put in jail -- that's the only reason they stopped.

Sure the fans are collateral damage, but not for one minute does that sway me from thinking that they shouldn't be hit with the fullest extent of penalties if this is true. If I can't go out and buy a hooker without penalty, then these young athletes don't need to start their career with thinking they are above the law already. It's that god-complex and sense of entitlement that cause them to do amazingly dumb things when they make it to the NFL, thus ruining their career and what was looking to be a bright future for them.

It's already bad enough with the circus that we fans/media create around them coming out of high school. School-endorsed behavior like this needs to be stopped or we need to just legalize prostitution, throw out the war on drugs and get rid of the amateurism rules and let the market decide itself; I'm ok with either.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

wow think of all the innocent fans. one rogue booster is all it takes. I hope it never happens to us.

Let's just all pray that Terry never hits it really, really big ...  8-)

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Another article about the possible death penalty from Profootballtalk.com

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/17/is-a-miami-death-penalty-the-ncaas-only-option/

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

This thread is kind of embarassing.  I totally get the knee-jerk reaction to laugh and make fun, but this is really bad stuff.  It's the kind of thing that could bury their program for the next decade and I hope that none of you really want that.  I want to see us succeed on our own merit, not rise above another program because of something like this.

Don't get me wrong, they brought it on themselves and dwserve punishment. I just feel bad that a lot of people that had nothing to do with this stuff are going to feel the brunt of the consequences.  Sad day for UM fans and I feel bad for them.

It might just be because I'm not a nice human being, but I have no problem with burying their program. Mostly because of the following:

1. I am in no way responsible for any of the infractions

2. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that supports these allegations

3. It is impossible for every team to win the National Championship on a yearly basis; if we have to play by the rules, so do they.

They broke the rules - It helps my team if they do poorly - Fire a canon through the hull and watch it sink.

[edit] I also see no possible way that Miami does not receive the death penalty, if these infractions are found to be true. [/edit]

I have no idea if you read the article or not, but this was not an isolated incident caused by a rogue booster; this was a pattern of blatant violations viewed and ignored by highly paid officials of UM athletics. If this was a rogue booster who once gave a guy a thousand dollars because he needed another TV, that'd be another case, but it's not. Some of these incidents go back as far as 2002 and carry on until he was put in jail -- that's the only reason they stopped.

Sure the fans are collateral damage, but not for one minute does that sway me from thinking that they shouldn't be hit with the fullest extent of penalties if this is true. If I can't go out and buy a hooker without penalty, then these young athletes don't need to start their career with thinking they are above the law already. It's that god-complex and sense of entitlement that cause them to do amazingly dumb things when they make it to the NFL, thus ruining their career and what was looking to be a bright future for them.

It's already bad enough with the circus that we fans/media create around them coming out of high school. School-endorsed behavior like this needs to be stopped or we need to just legalize prostitution, throw out the war on drugs and get rid of the amateurism rules and let the market decide itself; I'm ok with either.

it was one rogue booster and a bunch of coaches that are no longer there.

punish them. not the fans.

anyone still there connected to the mess needs to be fired immediately.

I agree they need sanctions but the death penalty?

that won't punish anyone but the fans that are left paying the price.

everyone else walks away basically scot free.

there would be plenty of good USF fans that would be devastated if that ever happened to us.

one booster. an agent. a bunch of coaches. and the president of the university are all people who are accused in the report. All the fans want is to watch their team play and succeed. All the athletic program wants is to be successful at all costs.

Please explain to me the fair repercussions that don't punish the fans?

[edit] Also, if you have a problem with the death penalty, your argument is with the NCAA, not me... it's a potential consequence that they use for infractions. The only reason that it has been brought up is for consistency, in my opinion. If SMU got it for what they did... this is much worse if proven. If it isn't, then obviously the death penalty is not appropriate. [/edit]

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Everyone that is saying stuff like "boo hoo, Miami is dying, etc..." needs to take a chill on this.  Miami did it to themselves and they deserve to get what is coming to them.  It wasn't just one booster or a few players...it was coaches, numerous players and recruits.  I just wish they caught more of this going on because it does.

USF only stands to benefit from this and for that I am happy.

Everyone that is saying stuff like "boo hoo, Miami is dying, etc..." needs to take a chill on this.  Miami did it to themselves and they deserve to get what is coming to them.  It wasn't just one booster or a few players...it was coaches, numerous players and recruits.  I just wish they caught more of this going on because it does.

USF only stands to benefit from this and for that I am happy.

I agree; from reading the pages on Godfrey and Marve, though, I have no doubt that our high profile players who were also recruited by Miami will lumped in this mess if he can remember their names/they surface in any of the pictures. Chandler, for one, comes to mind as a player of concern.

• Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

So if miami does in fact receive a penalty including no games on tv, then that would mean we would have to actually go to the game in miami to watch it correct?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

bad for the state

hopefully usf can take advantage of this

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

So if miami does in fact receive a penalty including no games on tv, then that would mean we would have to actually go to the game in miami to watch it correct?

SMU didn't play football I think I read for  two seasons so no game at all if that were to happen.....its early and I am not sure they get death penalty but they lose alot of scholarships at the very least.

Archived