• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is Like Christmas UM & UA struck down

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I find it very difficult to dislike Miami... I named my dog Luther Campbell Jr. because I was so inspired by Uncle Luke growing up and his exploits back in the 80's and 90's.

Part of me is disappointed though in Shapiro. We need to interact better with our students. The guy attended USF, yet he's pouring millions of dollars into UM's program. Where did we fail this student (who is obviously a passionate sports fan)? We could use a Little Luke a USF supporting athletics.

I'm glad the players at Miami had the time of their lives... College is suppose to be about great experiences. I'm disappointed though that the Miami players turned their backs on Shapiro. Even a "Hey bro, I'm praying for ya" would probably be suffice while the guy is in the hole. We are definitely a family at USF. I don't think our players would morally feel right about themselves if they didn't at least wish him well.

Great Yahoo article thru and thru. What's funny... people thought Miami was dead the last couple of seasons under Randy Shannon. Sounds like Coral Gables was the place to be. What so wrong with helping out the local economy as well? Little Luke's generosity helped to assist multiple restaurants, strip clubs, and prostitutes from taking government assistance.  

I like playing UM. I hope they get slapped on the wrist at worst. If the NCAA doesn't think this is going on across the country, they obviously have their blinders on. How about we start in Oregon, then go south towards USC. Go east to the SEC. Then go back north to the Big Ten... That should fully encompass those participating activities that would be deemed illicit affairs by the NCAA.

"lil luke" is a complete scum human being. He is a pathetic grifter who stole millions from others to live a lavish lifestyle off of others riches. I'm glad that pos didn't spend any of his tainted wealth on USF, it's bad enough he is affiliated with the University.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000^10

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

I find it very difficult to dislike Miami... I named my dog Luther Campbell Jr. because I was so inspired by Uncle Luke growing up and his exploits back in the 80's and 90's.

Part of me is disappointed though in Shapiro. We need to interact better with our students. The guy attended USF, yet he's pouring millions of dollars into UM's program. Where did we fail this student (who is obviously a passionate sports fan)? We could use a Little Luke a USF supporting athletics.

I'm glad the players at Miami had the time of their lives... College is suppose to be about great experiences. I'm disappointed though that the Miami players turned their backs on Shapiro. Even a "Hey bro, I'm praying for ya" would probably be suffice while the guy is in the hole. We are definitely a family at USF. I don't think our players would morally feel right about themselves if they didn't at least wish him well.

Great Yahoo article thru and thru. What's funny... people thought Miami was dead the last couple of seasons under Randy Shannon. Sounds like Coral Gables was the place to be. What so wrong with helping out the local economy as well? Little Luke's generosity helped to assist multiple restaurants, strip clubs, and prostitutes from taking government assistance.  

I like playing UM. I hope they get slapped on the wrist at worst. If the NCAA doesn't think this is going on across the country, they obviously have their blinders on. How about we start in Oregon, then go south towards USC. Go east to the SEC. Then go back north to the Big Ten... That should fully encompass those participating activities that would be deemed illicit affairs by the NCAA.

I doubt we could have changed Shapiro's outlook. He had been a Miami fan since he was a little kid and probably didn't get in so he came to USF instead.

As for having a Lil Luke-I don't want one,  period. The day our players start getting involved with nonsense like this is the day we will never have a chance to be relevant ever again. I have no problem with legitimate boosters of the program. We need them for our program to keep expanding.

I'm all in favor of letting players market themselves for whatever business or nonprofit they like, but payouts like the one Shapiro was doing are wrong.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Sheriff is the only person in the country thinking right now, "man, I sure wish the fans of MY favorite team were like this."

• Content Count:  1,492
  • Days Won:  0

It just hit me when I saw it on Sportscenter. We may be watching the death of a historic football franchise. As much as I hate Miami fans, it kind of made me sad.

• Content Count:  498
  • Days Won:  0

This reminds me of the movie salt.  Perhaps USF "created" Shapiro to destroy a big-3 program down the road. j/k

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This reminds me of the movie salt.  Perhaps USF "created" Shapiro to destroy a big-3 program down the road. j/k

That's just part of our master plan to conquer the world.  ;)

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

BTW... If anyone hasn't had a chance to read their boards...

FULL MELTDOWN

Among them, two of note:

http://www.miami-hurricanes.com/forum/tm.asp?m=807038&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

Got to love some of the sigs

http://miami.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=903&fid=116&style=2

Maybe, more local players will now decide to stay home after this mess:

Yahoo! Sports buries Miami, maybe some locals too

BobbyHomeTeam

Tue. August 16, 2011 | John C. Cotey

Yahoo! Sports does some fabulous investigative work (see coverage of USC and Reggie Bush, Ohio State and Terrelle Pryor) and the site's latest, penned by Charles Robinson, is a must read.

Prostitutes. Strip clubs. Cash. Mansions. Yachts. It puts Luke Campbell to shame.

Read it here. No, seriously, GO READ THIS RIGHT NOW!

This thing is so big, players that booster Nevin Shapiro cited as receiving cash, gifts, favors or other extra benefits have their own page. And there's lot of pages, including some folks you may remember.

Click on the names below.

Robert Marve, former Plant quarterback

Orson Charles, former Plant wide receiver

Colin McCarthy, former Clearwater Central Catholic linebacker

Matt Patchan, former Armwood lineman

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/yahoo-sports-buries-miami-maybe-some-locals-too/10311/

Who’s Going To Benefit In Recruiting?

It’s a sad truth, but when NCAA allegations surface at a school, the recruiting vultures are sure to follow. So speculation has already started about which schools might profit from Miami’s pain.

Golden thinks he can hold this class together. I wouldn’t expect him to say anything different. Maybe he can. But I’m sure other schools will come calling on the ‘Canes commitments.

But I’m not sure how many ACC schools will. FSU already has a dynamite class, so I don’t know how many of the Miami recruits the Seminoles would actually attempt to cherry pick. UNC might have been a school in a position to benefit if, you know, it wasn’t already having issues of its own. Wake Forest is a school that also hits Florida hard, but I don’t recall seeing the Deacs on the list of too many of Miami’s recruits. Clemson? The Tigers have already almost filled up their 2012 class.

Also, Florida is in a similar position as FSU. It may not actually need to go after many of the ‘Canes recruits. If – and yes, I’m still using the word “if†- Miami’s class does suffer attrition, I could see USF and UCF being the biggest beneficiaries.

Reas more at: http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2011081610836/initial-thoughts-on-the-miaminevin-shapiro-story.php

Clint Hurtt now top recruiter at UL, might be really hurt as a result of his actions while recruiting for UM.  

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2011/8/16/2367195/cardinal-assistant-named-in-yahoo-story-on-miami-investigation

Lots of squirming going on right now beyond Miami.

KentTaylorWAVE Kent Taylor

U of L statement on Clint Hurtt and Miami. "We are not going to respond to any alleged accusations."

34 minutes ago

Clearly, the big question here is what U of L does about Hurtt, if anything. It appears already the strategy will be to be quiet and do nothing. The statement released from the school today (according to Rivals.com): "We are not going to respond to any alleged accusations."

Forget, for a moment, the redundancy of this statement. The duck-and-cover mentality in this situation isn’t acceptable. Come out and defend your guy, or don’t, or say you don’t know enough of the facts, something.

The key of course is what Hurtt’s conduct has been at Louisville. (One prized U of L freshman, Teddy Bridgewater, is mentioned in the report in passing as having been taken to Shapiro’s suite. That in itself is nothing that would affect a player’s eligibility.

Regardless, if there’s truth to what Shapiro said, then Hurtt willfully broke NCAA rules and U of L will have to think hard about some kind of action. If they think there’s more to the story, they need to tell their fan base and explain where things stand.

My guess is that they circle the wagons and hang onto Hurtt so long as the school itself is not at risk. But that might be tricky to sell, and the silent treatment won’t make it easier. As for Hurtt, his best option no doubt is to be forthright with the NCAA if it comes looking for information — and, by all means, stay away from booster mansions and yachts. Already, if much more detail surfaces than what already has, retaining him could become untenable for U of L.

Read more at: http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ericcrawford/2011/08/17/the-yahoo-u-takedown-u-of-l-connections/

Archived