• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pittsburgh and UConn

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

Let me start by stating, "Every Game is Important!".

During this off-season the Notre Dame and West Virginia games have received plenty of hype. But the two game that concern me are against Pitt and UConn. Since 2005, USF has not played well against either of these teams on the road but there are other factors that complicate the situation:

USF @ Pitt (Thurs, 9/29/2011)

• USF's Record against Pitt on the road (1-3 or .3333)
  • USF's Record on Thursday's Home and Away (0-6). Losing by an average of 14 points. (The worse 0-31 to Rutgers in Piscataway in 2009)

USF @ UConn  (Sat, 10/15/2011)

• USF's road record against UConn  (0-3 or .0000)
  • USF record in the month of October (4-9 or .3097)
  • Assuming the game is at night, After 6PM USF record on the road is (5-11 or .3125)

Comments:

• Give credit to the people who put together the USF schedule because they limited the number of games in October Games. The best USF has ever done in the month of October is .500.
  • Another benefit is both teams are bringing in new coaches
  • Let's just hope the weather is nice during both of those games :)

• Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I have been to every game USF has played at UCONN (including the first one which we won) and I am so tired of leaving that stadium with the fans giving me **** for being a USF Bull. I have sat through freezing rain, snow, wind that could bend signs, and snow storms during the years only to see USF lose the last three. There fans are as bad as any around yelling at me and my son. I so hope we get the win so I can finally do the shouting as I leave the stadium...just once...please USF beat UCONN at their stadium.

• Content Count:  21,345
  • Days Won:  10

USF under Leavitt would have mid-season meltdowns because he pushed the team to hard in practice everyday and they burned out.  We did not see that this season under Hotlz.  I think we will knock off UConn.  The Pitt game is up in the air, we are coming off a short week after playing UTEP.  They are at home and a short week after playing Notre Dame.    They have a new coach.

I say USF wins in a nail bitter 28-24

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The Pitt game is up in the air, we are coming off a short week after playing UTEP.   

Just need to make sure we get way out in front of UTEP early, and get Eveld, and maybe even Floyd (unless he's redshirted obviously) some serious reps in that game - would be nice for them to get some time against a CUSA opponent instead of Ball State or whatever. 

• Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

The Pitt game is up in the air, we are coming off a short week after playing UTEP.   

Just need to make sure we get way out in front of UTEP early, and get Eveld, and maybe even Floyd (unless he's redshirted obviously) some serious reps in that game - would be nice for them to get some time against a CUSA opponent instead of Ball State or whatever. 

I fully concur my friend not only eveld or floyd but also all these back ups and reserves. They need all the PT they can get and that 3 game stretch prior to Pitt is the right time to do so

• Content Count:  138

going to the UConn game this year for first time, so throw that past history out!

Seriously, they have to win lol.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Days Won:  12

We will embarrass uconn this year.

• Content Count:  4,016

USF under Leavitt would have mid-season meltdowns because he pushed the team to hard in practice everyday and they burned out.   We did not see that this season under Hotlz.  I think we will knock off UConn.  The Pitt game is up in the air, we are coming off a short week after playing UTEP.   They are at home and a short week after playing Notre Dame.    They have a new coach.

Uhhh, Leavitt pushed but so do many coaches.  The meltdowns typically happened because of a combination, but most of it revolved around our lack of depth.  He pushed sure, but we lacked enough depth to contend with hard practices, and playing tougher conference foes week in and week out.  To Leavitt's defense we were developing better, more skilled depth before he left, and now Skip seems to be taking it much further.  Another area was poor OL recruiting under Leavitt, so when we faced familiar conference foes they knew how to exploit our lower level talent at offensive tackle, and lack of depth. 

The bigger factor is both Pitt, and Uconn are facing major coaching changes, and loss of lots of talent.  Not to mention switches in systems.  We're fortunate to be getting them early, before they've had a chance to really get fortified in their system.  Pitt for example lost two top WR's, a top FB, top RB, top OL...and they lost top DL, and DB's, and are moving to a 3-4 from a 4-3.  That's a MAJOR change.  USF should be able to exploit.  Uconn is losing their QB, RB, and two top WR's...on a team that wasn't that prolific.  Both are changing to HC's with new different coaching philosophies from the previous ones.  The previous HC's, Wanny and Randy Edsall...both ran very hard-nosed, tough programs and their kids exemplified that tough as nails attitude on the field, which always gave USF some troubles since we were a bit more speed and finesse.  So you go up north, middle October, and often it's to the advantage of the smash-mouth team.  The new systems will be more spread, dink and dunk....systems are defensive talent is better equipped to handle.

Last season Holtz exorcised some demons by winning at Cinci, winning at Louisville, and winning at Miami.  All three teams we'd never won at their house, I like Skip's potential to make it two more in Pitt, and Uconn...two teams who we have beaten at their home before.

• 3 months later...

• Content Count:  1,777

Call me Nouriel Roubini....... :)

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

USF under Leavitt would have mid-season meltdowns because he pushed the team to hard in practice everyday and they burned out.   We did not see that this season under Hotlz.  I think we will knock off UConn.  The Pitt game is up in the air, we are coming off a short week after playing UTEP.   They are at home and a short week after playing Notre Dame.    They have a new coach.

Uhhh, Leavitt pushed but so do many coaches.  The meltdowns typically happened because of a combination, but most of it revolved around our lack of depth.  He pushed sure, but we lacked enough depth to contend with hard practices, and playing tougher conference foes week in and week out.  To Leavitt's defense we were developing better, more skilled depth before he left, and now Skip seems to be taking it much further.  Another area was poor OL recruiting under Leavitt, so when we faced familiar conference foes they knew how to exploit our lower level talent at offensive tackle, and lack of depth. 

The bigger factor is both Pitt, and Uconn are facing major coaching changes, and loss of lots of talent.  Not to mention switches in systems.  We're fortunate to be getting them early, before they've had a chance to really get fortified in their system.  Pitt for example lost two top WR's, a top FB, top RB, top OL...and they lost top DL, and DB's, and are moving to a 3-4 from a 4-3.  That's a MAJOR change.  USF should be able to exploit.  Uconn is losing their QB, RB, and two top WR's...on a team that wasn't that prolific.  Both are changing to HC's with new different coaching philosophies from the previous ones.  The previous HC's, Wanny and Randy Edsall...both ran very hard-nosed, tough programs and their kids exemplified that tough as nails attitude on the field, which always gave USF some troubles since we were a bit more speed and finesse.  So you go up north, middle October, and often it's to the advantage of the smash-mouth team.  The new systems will be more spread, dink and dunk....systems are defensive talent is better equipped to handle.

Last season Holtz exorcised some demons by winning at Cinci, winning at Louisville, and winning at Miami.  All three teams we'd never won at their house, I like Skip's potential to make it two more in Pitt, and Uconn...two teams who we have beaten at their home before.

Welll he kept the demons at Pitt and UConn.  Guess that showed Cincy and Louisville were weak last year.  Rugters too!

Archived