• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concealed weapons on campus at USF

Oldsmobull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

If Florida Senate Bill 234 passes into law, will faculty and students at USF with concealed weapons carry licenses be allowed to legally carry guns concealed or openly on campus?  I glanced through attached bill, but couldn't figure it out. 

http://www.flsenate.gov/public/GetFile.cfm?File=vcEjS9GD1oxtr2LmLqSIeWMDkQY%3D%7C7%2FPublic%2FBills%2F0200%2D0299%2F0234%2F%5Fs0234%5F%5F%2EPDF

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=163789&catid=250

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

That would be dumb.

Va Tech anybody??????

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

That would be dumb.

Va Tech anybody??????

That logic is not really reasonable. Not allowing guns on VT campus did not do anything to stop that shootings....Crimes like that will be committed no matter what the law is. I'm not saying that I necessarily support concealed weapons on campus, but allowing them would not make the campus a shooting spree.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

That would be dumb.

Va Tech anybody??????

I bet you dimes to donuts that Va Tech wouldn't have been as bad had there been law-abiding gun carrying people on campus.  The idiot shooter was not a CWP holder and he would most likely have been denied a CWP.

• Content Count:  5,241

This would allow for concealed weapons to be held in the cars of students/faculty.

From the related article link you posted:

Evers filed Senate Bill 234, which would allow professors and students over 21 to carry guns on campus.

"It's for their own protection and protection of those around them," says Evers. He adds, "This would allow and probably stop a lot of these shootings on campus in the past."

The bill requires the gun to be kept in a person's car and it prohibits guns in school buildings

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think the TV report and article accurately reflect SB 234.  To me the bill itself is a disjointed amalgam of conflicting rules that would take a Philidelphia lawyer (or NRA lawyer) to sort out.  The bill doesn't disallow concealed weapon permit holders from carrying a gun on campus (other than to athletic events): the bill says permit holders can't be prohibited from keeping guns in cars on campus.  The way I read the bill, unless USF or some other existing laws prohibit carrying weapons on campus, concealed weapon holders could legally walk around campus with concealed or openly displayed guns.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,558

That would be dumb.

Va Tech anybody??????

I bet you dimes to donuts that Va Tech wouldn't have been as bad had there been law-abiding gun carrying people on campus.  The idiot shooter was not a CWP holder and he would most likely have been denied a CWP.

this!

the more people carrying the safer I feel

Guest nybullsfan

This would allow for concealed weapons to be held in the cars of students/faculty.

Evers filed Senate Bill 234, which would allow professors and students over 21 to carry guns on campus.

"It's for their own protection and protection of those around them," says Evers. He adds, "This would allow and probably stop a lot of these shootings on campus in the past."

The bill requires the gun to be kept in a person's car and it prohibits guns in school buildings

IMO, people keeping weapons in the cars will simply lead to more stolen guns from car break-ins. Dumb idea - it will just help arm the criminals, for free.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

IMO, people keeping weapons in the cars will simply lead to more stolen guns from car break-ins. Dumb idea - it will just help arm the criminals, for free.

Not really... per Florida CWL laws I could draw down on a perp that is committing a forceable felony... robbery and grand theft fits the definition of a forceable felony. 

I hope they do this... I would feel much safer at work then I do now.

The University of Utah allows students and faculty to carry guns on their hips while on campus... how many times has their been a shooting on campus... 0

Criminals and nut jobs attack areas where they know that everyone is disarmed. That is why all of these shootings are at liberal rallies, bars, schools, universities, churches, and other areas where CWL holders are not allowed to carry.

Guest nybullsfan

I remember when the Florida Supreme Court struck down the previous weapons law (late '70s? early '80s?) and all of a sudden it was legal to openly carry a weapon anywhere, including bars and bank lobbies

The tension level skyrocketed for several months while the legislature tried to hammer out a new law. I don't remember what happened to the actual violence level (Logic says it probably dropped) but the stress level was off the charts.

Going to a bar or a bank felt like it had become a very risky adventure. There are places where it just makes good common sense for everyone to be unarmed.

Vigilante justice is another interesting discussion. Does it increase or decrease the common good if everyone feels empowered to police their fellow citizens?

Archived