• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concealed weapons on campus at USF

Oldsmobull

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

Guns on campus scrapped by state senate committee today:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/09/2106830/no-guns-on-college-campus-say.html

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this issue, but one comment in that article stands out:

“It’s beyond personal for me,†Thrasher said. “Any other time I might support something like this, but I just can’t.â€

So what he's saying is that tragedies are OK as long as they happen to other people, but since something has affected him he's going to put his foot down? 

I'm a gun owner but I've always viewed concealed carry as more trouble than it was worth.  If I ever feel like I need a gun on me to feel safe I think it will be time to find somewhere else to live.  However, my libertarian leanings say state law shouldn't prevent otherwise legal on campus weapons.  The University on the other hand would almost certainly ban it.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

My view on concealed carry is that it just another piece of clothing, (in the hands of a well trained person) that has the ability to protect me, my family, friends, and community, in the event of some crazy people.  We all know crazy people happen, especially in a bad economy, and it isn't a knock on "where" someone lives... it can happen anywhere, and the odds of it are still higher than that of winning the lottery... and millions play the lottery.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

My view on concealed carry is that it just another piece of clothing, (in the hands of a well trained person) that has the ability to protect me, my family, friends, and community, in the event of some crazy people. 

For the sake of discussion, what happens when you have a well-trained crazy person carrying a concealed weapon on campus?

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

My view on concealed carry is that it just another piece of clothing, (in the hands of a well trained person) that has the ability to protect me, my family, friends, and community, in the event of some crazy people. 

For the sake of discussion, what happens when you have a well-trained crazy person carrying a concealed weapon on campus?

Well, in the past it was bad news, that certainly could happen whether it is legal or not for the sane folks to have them.  I'm on the fence about this one, but in principle I see why it could be useful.

Archived