• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concealed weapons on campus at USF

Oldsmobull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

That took effect in the summer of 87, remember it well.  I'd just moved to Florida from Chicago, and was shocked to see someone walking down the street with a sidearm.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

That took effect in the summer of 87, remember it well.  I'd just moved to Florida from Chicago, and was shocked to see someone walking down the street with a sidearm.

Then it happened (at least) twice. I was gone by late summer '86 and (I'm pretty sure) this was before I was a student.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Guest nybullsfan

Thanks! I guess I stand corrected. I had thought it was that the previous law had been struck down by the court, but the 1987 event was in response to a new law created by the legislature. Perhaps it happened twice - perhaps I just have a terrible memory  :(

In any event, it was a very tense few weeks, until the modified law was passed.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like a dumb idea to me considering the amount if alcohol I used to consume at usf lol

• Content Count:  69

Now if anything happens on campus the students can have a shootout. That's so much safer.

• Content Count:  720

Now if anything happens on campus the students can have a shootout. That's so much safer.

Of course because the first thing a law abiding citizen that is granted a CWP thinks about is shooting someone in a disagreement.... ::) I mean the gun is right there! Why not just kill the jerk! If they just went ahead and made guns illegal I'm sure all criminals would turn theirs in because it would be against the law to have them, right? Just like cocaine. It's illegal so everyone quit using and selling it, right?

I've carried for 13 years and have NEVER had to draw my weapon. Hope to never have to also but, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Also, in FL you can conceal carry in Church. I saw a poster ealier that mentioned you can't. I have mine on me every Sunday.

Of course because the first thing a law abiding citizen that is granted a CWP thinks about is shooting someone in a disagreement.... ::)

Except that's not what I actually said. Nice straw man argument.

You're right though, in that sense. I Imagine it's extremely rare. It's not too often that you come across a Jared Loughner, Charles Whitman, Seung-Hui Cho, Steven Kazmierczak, Christopher David Amyx, Colton Tooley, Nathaniel Brown, Jabrai Jordan Copney, Stephen P. Morgan, Anthony Powell, Kawin Brockman, Kelcey Perry, Mario Toney, Brandon Wade, Latina Williams, Loyer Braden, or Jonathan Rowen.

Just like cocaine. It's illegal so everyone quit using and selling it, right?

Totally dude, I've been saying this for years! Two wrongs always make a right!

I've carried for 13 years and have NEVER had to draw my weapon. Hope to never have to also but, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You do realize that statistically you're far more likely to shoot yourself or your family than a criminal, right?

Guest nybullsfan

I've carried for 13 years and have NEVER had to draw my weapon. Hope to never have to also but, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You do realize that statistically you're far more likely to shoot yourself or your family than a criminal, right?

Two sets of statistics, once merged, can be misleading.

I don't have the numbers on hand, nor do I have a link, but there should be a small group with CWP's, who are statistically unlikely to shoot themselves, and a much larger group of gun owners without CWP's, who are much more likely, and dwarf the other group's statistics when taken together as a group.

Let's hope lmiusf is in the former - we need to hang on to all the Bulls fans we can.

Archived