• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Concealed weapons on campus at USF

Oldsmobull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

I've carried for 13 years and have NEVER had to draw my weapon. Hope to never have to also but, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You do realize that statistically you're far more likely to shoot yourself or your family than a criminal, right?

Two sets of statistics, once merged, can be misleading.

I don't have the numbers on hand, nor do I have a link, but there should be a small group with CWP's, who are statistically unlikely to shoot themselves, and a much larger group of gun owners without CWP's, who are much more likely, and dwarf the other group's statistics when taken together as a group.

Let's hope lmiusf is in the former - we need to hang on to all the Bulls fans we can.

LOL....funny NYBULL

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

I've carried for 13 years and have NEVER had to draw my weapon. Hope to never have to also but, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

You do realize that statistically you're far more likely to shoot yourself or your family than a criminal, right?

I don't have the numbers on hand, nor do I have a link, but there should be a small group with CWP's, who are statistically unlikely to shoot themselves, and a much larger group of gun owners without CWP's, who are much more likely, and dwarf the other group's statistics when taken together as a group.

Let's hope lmiusf is in the former - we need to hang on to all the Bulls fans we can.

LOL....funny NYBULL

Thass my job! Funnyman...

I've always wondered, what does the L.M.I. of your screen name stand for? Your initials, or something deeper?

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

LOL....funny NYBULL

I've always wondered, what does the L.M.I. of your screen name stand for? Your initials, or something deeper?

Lowers Motorsports Inc. aka LMI Designz (Lowers is my last name) Wife and I are both USF Alumn so that's where the "usf" part comes from if you didn't already know...lol

I own a screen printing, embroidery, and vinyal graphics shop here in Lakeland. We stated out racing and building racecars and then starting lettering the cars and then screen printing tees for race teams. Now we have over 100 clients and have ventured much further out of just the motorsports world. We have also moved out of the racing industry pretty much and we now also fabricate custom hot rods and muscle cars.

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I remember when the Florida Supreme Court struck down the previous weapons law (late '70s? early '80s?) and all of a sudden it was legal to openly carry a weapon anywhere, including bars and bank lobbies

The tension level skyrocketed for several months while the legislature tried to hammer out a new law. I don't remember what happened to the actual violence level (Logic says it probably dropped) but the stress level was off the charts.

Going to a bar or a bank felt like it had become a very risky adventure. There are places where it just makes good common sense for everyone to be unarmed.

Vigilante justice is another interesting discussion. Does it increase or decrease the common good if everyone feels empowered to police their fellow citizens?

CWL license rules prohibit the carrying of guns in bars or banks. However due to the level of school violence and shootings allowing them on campuses in FL would be a great idea.

Again look at the University of Utah, their students and faculty walk around old-west style with guns and ammo on their belts. How many shootings have occurred out there? None have occurred.

Now how many shooting have occurred at schools where guns are banned? Hundreds have occurred.

Now lets assume this passes, its not like anyone can do this, in order to have a CWL in FL you have to pass levels of background checks and tests. Its the same standards that police and armed security have to go through.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

LOL....funny NYBULL

Lowers Motorsports Inc. aka LMI Designz (Lowers is my last name) Wife and I are both USF Alumn so that's where the "usf" part comes from if you didn't already know...lol

I own a screen printing, embroidery, and vinyal graphics shop here in Lakeland. We stated out racing and building racecars and then starting lettering the cars and then screen printing tees for race teams. Now we have over 100 clients and have ventured much further out of just the motorsports world. We have also moved out of the racing industry pretty much and we now also fabricate custom hot rods and muscle cars.

Good to know.  If I ever need services like the ones you offer, I will use you first and foremost.

Where are you located?  I tried Googling you but all I found was a Linkedin profile and nothing else.

Guest nybullsfan

I remember when the Florida Supreme Court struck down the previous weapons law (late '70s? early '80s?) and all of a sudden it was legal to openly carry a weapon anywhere, including bars and bank lobbies

The tension level skyrocketed for several months while the legislature tried to hammer out a new law. I don't remember what happened to the actual violence level (Logic says it probably dropped) but the stress level was off the charts.

Going to a bar or a bank felt like it had become a very risky adventure. There are places where it just makes good common sense for everyone to be unarmed.

Vigilante justice is another interesting discussion. Does it increase or decrease the common good if everyone feels empowered to police their fellow citizens?

CWL license rules prohibit the carrying of guns in bars or banks. However due to the level of school violence and shootings allowing them on campuses in FL would be a great idea.

Again look at the University of Utah, their students and faculty walk around old-west style with guns and ammo on their belts. How many shootings have occurred out there? None have occurred.

Now how many shooting have occurred at schools where guns are banned? Hundreds have occurred.

Now lets assume this passes, its not like anyone can do this, in order to have a CWL in FL you have to pass levels of background checks and tests. Its the same standards that police and armed security have to go through.

The period I'm referring to was more like the Utah case. All of a sudden Open Carry was no longer illegal (except for felons, etc). Not sure whether the Concealed Carry law was affected or not.

I haven't thought it all the way thru, but it seems to me Open Carry would be more influential in keeping the peace than Concealed Carry... Yes? No?

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I think this whole deal of allowing more guns on campuses with SB 234 is ridiculous.  To get a concealed weapon permit you only have to take like a 3 hour safety course for training; police take maybe 80 hrs of initial training in police academy on handling guns and also ongoing regular training.  Open carry would likely raise the tension and itchiness factor up a few notches in Florida and just cause all sorts of uneasiness with the general public.  Besides why would a concealed weapon permit carrier want to display his gun and lose the surprise factor allowing him to get the drop on a bad guy?  SB 234 is a bad bill and should be voted down in the legislature; allowing more guns on college campuses with young students and issues like alcohol is a public safety disaster waiting to happen. 

I think this whole deal of allowing more guns on campuses with SB 234 is ridiculous.  To get a concealed weapon permit you only have to take like a 3 hour safety course for training; police take maybe 80 hrs of initial training in police academy on handling guns and also ongoing regular training.  Open carry would likely raise the tension and itchiness factor up a few notches in Florida and just cause all sorts of uneasiness with the general public.  Besides why would a concealed weapon permit carrier want to display his gun and lose the surprise factor allowing him to get the drop on a bad guy?  SB 234 is a bad bill and should be voted down in the legislature; allowing more guns on college campuses with young students and issues like alcohol is a public safety disaster waiting to happen

USF is not a high school its a college that is supposed to be full of legal young adults, these are not kids. Also a gun is a lot less deadly statically then a car or a swimming pool, maybe those should be banned on campus. Also USF should ban sharp pencils as well and peanuts, a lot of people choke to death on those each year as well, a peanut nearly killed ole W Bush a few years back.

As I understand per the USF police dept. from 1956 until around the early 1970's guns were allowed on campus. Shotguns and hunting rifles were allowed to be kept, in view within vehicles. Hand guns were also allowed to be kept in cars out of view.

Sometime around the early 1970's a ban was issued out of the blue. Guns were also allowed on High School campuses as well, as long as you kept them in your vehicle. Both USF and the High Schools both banned guns around the same time.

During that time period zero people were killed and there were zero accidents at USF. Meanwhile during the same time frame hundreds of people were killed, crippled, and maimed by cars so which is factually more deadly? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I'm trying to dispel the myth created by the red diaper doper babies that guns = evil & certain death. It is not the case.

Regarding the element of surprise you have  good point, however under current laws if you brandish your concealed weapon without just cause then you are guilty of a felony. It is considered brandishing if someone can see a bulky object or outline in your pants or jacket. In the winter its easy to conceal a weapon, however in the summer its next to impossible to do so in Florida. If a cop asks you what you have in your pants and its a gun, bam your a felon. Thus USF campus aside this law gives CWL holders more freedom to just slap their weapon in their pocket even if it creates a bulky outline and not have to worry about getting taken to jail for doing nothing.

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

We've got students that get in trouble riding mopeds, and eating in pancake restaurants; we don't need to invite bigger problems with students carrying guns on their hips on campus .

We've got students that get in trouble riding mopeds, and eating in pancake restaurants; we don't need to invite bigger problems with students carrying guns on their hips on campus .

Well then we need to ban mopeds and pancakes as well.

Archived