• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Big wins in USF history

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Big wins in USF history

By ADAM ADKINS | The Tampa Tribune

76792_sp1031usffirstgame.jpg

South Florida's first game was a memorable one, a 77-point victory in which the Bulls had nearly 600 yards of offense.

Sept. 6, 1997: USF 80, Kentucky Wesleyan 3

The program begins as a rousing success with a rout of the visiting Panthers in front of 49,212 fans at Houlihan's Stadium. USF outgains Kentucky Wesleyan 572-76 and running back Jermaine Clemons scores four touchdowns. "I thought we'd win, although I didn't say it, but I didn't know we'd win like that," USF coach Jim Leavitt said after the game.

Sept. 8, 2001: USF 35, Pittsburgh 26

In their first season as a full Division I-A program, the Bulls stun the Panthers at Heinz Field. The victory is hailed as monumental for a young USF program, while also labeled one of the worst defeats in Pittsburgh program history. Quarterback Marquel Blackwell throws for four touchdowns, two to DeAndrew Rubin, and runs for another score in USF's first signature win.

Nov. 16, 2002: USF 29, Bowling Green 7

At Raymond James Stadium, the Bulls post their first victory over a nationally ranked Division I-A opponent by edging the Urban Meyer-led Falcons, who enter No. 25 in the USA Today coaches poll. The USF defense holds the nation's third-highest scoring offense to season lows in points and total yards (226), while running back Clenton Crossley (90 rushing yards, touchdown) and receiver Chris Iskra (73 receiving yards, one touchdown) lead the offense.

Sept. 27, 2003: USF 28, Army 0

Playing in their first conference game in program history, the Bulls cruise to a road win over Conference USA foe Army. The USF defense limits the Black Knights to 176 total yards while forcing six turnovers, and safety Kevin Verpaele returns an interception 29 yards for a touchdown in the rout.

Sept. 24, 2005: USF 45, Louisville 14

The Bulls upset the ninth-ranked Cardinals in their first Big East Conference game behind a breakout performance from receiver Amarri Jackson, who runs for two touchdowns and throws for another, and a solid effort from running back Andre Hall, who rushes for 83 yards and two scores.

Nov. 25, 2006: USF 24,West Virginia 19

The Bulls earn what stands as their only road victory over a Division I-A opponent ranked in the top 10 with an upset of the seventh-ranked Mountaineers at Milan Puskar Stadium. Defensive end George Selvie returns a fumble for a touchdown, and quarterback Matt Grothe runs for a score and throws for another in the win.

Dec. 23, 2006: USF 24, East Carolina 7

The Bulls earn their first bowl victory in program history against the Skip Holtz-led Pirates at the PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala. Running back Ben Williams totals 67 rushing yards and two touchdowns to claim MVP honors.

Sept. 8, 2007: USF 26, Auburn 23

The Bulls earn their only victory to date over a Southeastern Conference opponent by shocking the 17th-ranked Tigers in overtime at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Quarterback Matt Grothe hits receiver Jessie Hester for a 14-yard, game-winning touchdown.

Sept. 28, 2007:USF 21, West Virginia 13

In front of a national TV audience and a record crowd of 67,012 at Raymond James Stadium, the 18th-ranked Bulls upset the fifth-ranked Mountaineers to continue what would be an eventual climb to No. 2 in the national rankings. Linebacker Ben Moffitt returns an interception 26 yards for the game's first score, and USF holds on after building a 21-3 lead early in the third quarter.

Sept. 26, 2009: USF 17, Florida State 7

The Bulls earn their only win to date over one of the state's Big Three programs by shocking the Seminoles in front of 83,524 fans at Doak Campbell Stadium. Quarterback B.J. Daniels, making his first collegiate start, throws for 215 yards and two scores and runs for another 126 yards in the win.

Link

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,698
  • Days Won:  108

Can I hijack this thread and stir up Bulls94 by pointing out that USF drew over 49,000 against Kentucky Wesleyan?

A couple of those first wins were before we arrived in Tampa.  But I remember all of those very well starting with the Army game.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Can I hijack this thread and stir up Bulls94 by pointing out that USF drew over 49,000 against Kentucky Wesleyan?

A couple of those first wins were before we arrived in Tampa.  But I remember all of those very well starting with the Army game.

I was there for that game . you only have one first time.

• Content Count:  4,451

Over time wins (in 2004 I think) should be mentioned.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

It was 2003 and none of them were particularly "big" wins.

Guest nybullsfan

If I recall correctly, we're 6-0 in overtime, with the best lifetime record of any D1 school.

• Content Count:  4,451

Well I didn't mean to crap in your cornflakes but they were clutch wins for an infant D1/FBS football team that started a small national buzz for USF IMO.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

Well I didn't mean to crap in your cornflakes but they were clutch wins for an infant D1/FBS football team that started a small national buzz for USF IMO.

True ... Also, it was our first year of conference play. L'ville was our first conf home game ... and looking back, I didn't remember that we were 6 points away from a 7-1 conference record and our first bowl bid

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The 2004 win at TCU stopped their home winning streak if I remember correctly.

Archived