• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So was it the receivers or BJ?...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Still trying to wrap my head around the complete 180 the offense pulled, particularly in the passing game.  Was the problem really BJ or the receivers?  Seems like the line in the sand on here was that either BJ was throwing poorly/making bad decisions or the receivers were inexperienced and couldn't catch/run routes/get open/etc.  And some said it was a combination of that, or playcalling, or O-line play, or bad karma/whatever else.  But now--for this past game at least--it seems everything was clicking in the passing game with pretty much the same guys on the field and the same coaches.  So what changed to make it click?...who was really to blame for the Cuse and WVU games?  Your considered opinions, please.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

IMO, it was BJ.  I saw open receivers in the other games, the announcers saw open receivers in the other games.  Apparently, BJ was the only one that didn't see open receivers.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Complete BJ about face.  Lets build from here and keep getting better offensively.

• Content Count:  3,475

I think the turnaround was primarily because of better play by Daniels, but I think much-improved play calling and a better overall strategy entering the game are also responsible. Hopefully, whatever it was can be bottled up and brought back out for the rest of the season.

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

BJ made some pretty good throws and made great decisions with the ball most of the game, much better than he was in past weeks. Just like in the Syracuse game we had open recievers but this time BJ was getting the ball to the right guy.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Until the Cuse game the WRs couldn't get open.  Then it clicked for them and they could get open.  BJ couldn't get them the ball when they got open (Oline didn't help).  WVU was bad, but guys were open.  Oline did a little bit better.  BJ was again bad.  Against the Natti the Oline pass blocked well, the WRs still got open (thanks to some BEAUTIFUL play calls) and BJ saw them and hit them.  As for making "all the throws" I don't know why anyone ever doubted his ability to do that.  With BJ is is about the decision making.  He has one of the best arms in college football.  Only problem is brain to arm.  Brain was money on Friday :) :)

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I thought it was a combo of BJ, WRs and the O-line not handling blitzes well.

Plus Cincy's D doesn't look too hot

• Content Count:  10,565

I thought it was a combo of BJ, WRs and the O-line not handling blitzes well.

Plus Cincy's D doesn't look too hot

It was a combination of all of that.

You'd have to figure that Rutgers will be litzing and keeping a spy on B.J., so I am sure Coach Holtz and Coach Fitch will be planning accordingly.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

I think it was Fitch who reiterated, after the UC game, the sage adage that the qb gets too much of the blame and too much of the credit. I imagine in almost every game you've got players wide open, easily spotted from the stands and announcer booths. SOmetimes the qb can see them, sometimes they can't. Problem was the ones we had were for easy td's and stuck out like sore thumbs ... The whole offense executed better. This time the offensive miscues were mad by the other team.

Archived