• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF can not afford the luxury of reshirting Gunsby

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You are making just as big of an assumption as I am BTW, and to compare guys like Brantley and Bradford to Gunsby is a bit of a joke as Brantley was nationally recruited by many big time programs, Bradford was heavily recruited as well.  If gunz was as talented and such a great fit you don't think the staff would want him to be the first guy in the games at this point as it appears that BJ may not be right for this system or even the QB spot in general?  If the staff does go with Eveld in relief of BJ at anytime before end of game garbage time all your theories about Gunz pretty much gets thrown in the garbage, unless you feel the staff doesn't like to play the most talented and players or players that stand to advance the future of the program the best.  As it stands right now the only thing we have to go on with Gunz is one scrimmage that was open to the public.  That may be enough for you to scream for him as the future of the program but for me all i see now is true freshmen that had one good day at a scrimmage and could not beat out a walk on in Eveld.   

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

LOL still.  The coaches said AFTER Vero Beach that Eveld knew the offense better than Gunsby.  Again I say, do you want a true frosh QB who does not know the offense well playing at this point in the season?  That is either crazy or hilarious.  :D :D  I have chosen the second option just to be nice.

Normal

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  521

I'm not sure starting Eveld or Gunsby is the best option.. i think our only hope is to switch to a purely run-option offense.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

As I said in another similar thread.  Holtz is redshirting Gunsby and playing a true freshman walk-on, even though Gunsby is better, because Gunsby is the future at that position?  How does that even make sense?

Holtz isn't playing Eveld, he is playing BJ.  Eveld is just a place holder on the 2-deep to buy time for Gunsby to groom.

Place holder?  You can read the coach's mind?  By the way, Gunsby is so much the future they have committed for next season 2 QBs and are still recruiting Jacoby Brisset.

That's what I believe based on the circumstances with which Gunsby/Eveld were acquired by USF.  I didn’t say Gunsby was a guarantee; just that he is the best option for the future out of the current candidates.  Because he is no guarantee, naturally, you wouldn’t just stop recruiting QBs.

If Gunsby is truly the future it makes more sense to red shirt him this season than give him garbage minutes.  He's not going to beat out BJ this year.  Holtz and Fitch are committed to BJ.  Gunsby will have plenty of opportunity to get garbage minutes next season.  A true freshman will look just as confused as BJ out there with this receiving core and pass protection.

If we are going to lose with either QB, I say lose with Gunsby.  I don't see them as garbage minutes; I see them as time on the job training if he is playing while the game is still winnable.  I’d like to avoid as much garbage time as possible next year.  I’m sure he would look as confused as BJ, but at least he would gain experience to build on during a loss that we'll apparently suffer either way.  Heck, there’s an outside chance he’d execute.

But if he's not really going to play any better (which is what the coaches think from watching practice and red shirting him), then it's better to give him time to learn the system before throwing him into the fire.  He's a freshman, he's got a whole lot to learn text book wise in the college game.  No sense in burning a year of eligibility for no better results on the field.  He can pick up the minutes next year if BJ is still struggling and then have 3 more years of eligibility to go instead of 2.

Gunsby was a bit of a reach as a recruit.  He was an unevaluated player that came from virtually no where at the last minute when Skip pulled Carnes scholarship.  Gunsby was picked up for depth.  If he becomes the starting QB at USF it's added bonus, but it's not why he's here.

So your saying the guys these coaches were coaching to be their guy at ECU is a reach and not a good qb? Are you saying he is not a system qb? Maybe he is not a Big East qb? I am confused as to what you ate trying to say. How was he a reach?

At least by his recruiting film I saw he scanned the field to find his open WR. Daniels hasn't shown he can do that :( 

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  521

So your saying the guys these coaches were coaching to be their guy at ECU is a reach and not a good qb? Are you saying he is not a system qb? Maybe he is not a Big East qb? I am confused as to what you ate trying to say. How was he a reach?

At least by his recruiting film I saw he scanned the field to find his open WR. Daniels hasn't shown he can do that :( 

From what I remember, Gunsby was a guy that Holtz and crew were recruiting from their ECU days that flipped to us when Holtz came over.  So, i guess you can say that he is "C-USA - level" talent.. but at this point, with the Big East the way it is, I think he has enough to be competitive in conference.  I don't think the BCS conferences are completely Head & Shoulders above the mid-majors like C-USA in terms of talent (with the exception of maybe the SEC).

again, it all comes down to coaching and I think Holtz and crew don't want to mess this Gunsby kid up, even if its during a transition period.  And like he says, he doesn't like the idea of "baptizing" a kid into college football on the road in hostile environments against conference foes.  Its hard enough to do it, even with knowing the playbook inside & and out.

We don't know if he will be the savior, but i'm willing to bet he is better than what Leavitt left us at the helm

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

From what I remember, Gunsby was a guy that Holtz and crew were recruiting from their ECU days that flipped to us when Holtz came over.  So, i guess you can say that he is "C-USA - level" talent.. but at this point, with the Big East the way it is, I think he has enough to be competitive in conference.  I don't think the BCS conferences are completely Head & Shoulders above the mid-majors like C-USA in terms of talent (with the exception of maybe the SEC).

again, it all comes down to coaching and I think Holtz and crew don't want to mess this Gunsby kid up, even if its during a transition period.  And like he says, he doesn't like the idea of "baptizing" a kid into college football on the road in hostile environments against conference foes.  Its hard enough to do it, even with knowing the playbook inside & and out.

We don't know if he will be the savior, but i'm willing to bet he is better than what Leavitt left us at the helm

I think Gunsby is better than CUSA talent. He is gifted size wise, and from the little bit of film and in person snaps i saw of him he has good vision and seemingly good knowledge of defenses. If im not mistaken he was injured his Senior year in HS which may have allowed him to slide under the radar. Guys that are 6'4 230 and run 4.5s that throw a good accurate ball are hard to come by. Holtz recruited him to ECU so i have to believe he likes what he sees in him and thinks he can be our future QB.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think Gunsby is better than CUSA talent. He is gifted size wise, and from the little bit of film and in person snaps i saw of him he has good vision and seemingly good knowledge of defenses. If im not mistaken he was injured his Senior year in HS which may have allowed him to slide under the radar. Guys that are 6'4 230 and run 4.5s that throw a good accurate ball are hard to come by. Holtz recruited him to ECU so i have to believe he likes what he sees in him and thinks he can be our future QB.

I think you're right, he was hurt  for a little while. Everyone seems to forget that UF jumped on Gunsby late too. I can't remember if it was as a QB or not, but they were recruiting him. He also had an offer from Kentucky, so it's not like, only C-USA teams were recruiting him. Looking at his Rivals page, ECU isn't even listed. It would probably have been a reach for Skip to have landed him at ECU.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

LOL still.  The coaches said AFTER Vero Beach that Eveld knew the offense better than Gunsby.  Again I say, do you want a true frosh QB who does not know the offense well playing at this point in the season?  That is either crazy or hilarious.  :D :D  I have chosen the second option just to be nice.

Normal

I'd like to see were you are getting this from.  Here is what I remember reading about our QB's in Vero:

-BJ is not clicking well with the receivers, a lot of incompletions.

-Gunsby looked the best out of those two, and sounded like our starter.

-BJ looked fantastic running the ball, our only offense in the first scrimmage.

-Eveld has fantastic work ethic, gets there early, does all the right things.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

I believe that the reason Eveld is second string ahead of Gunsby is to allow Gunsby to redshirt because he shows more potential and promise for the future.   I have trouble believing that an unrecruited walk-on is outperforming a 3 star recruit.

If we are going to lose games, isn’t it better to have a productive loss?  Gunsby should be in there picking up game time experience at the cost of these losses.  BJ is not the future, most people can see that.  He was a serviceable asset from the legacy system, but a liability at QB in the eventual system.

If we don't see Gunsby this year, that is Skip's open admission that this season is a sacrifice.  Why would Skip sacrifice this season? 

Is it because he wants Gunsby to be a senior against UF in 2014?

Is it because he convinced BJ to quit basketball to focus on QB, and he feels a sense of obligation to BJ now?

Is it because BJ was Leavitt’s guy and Gunsby is his guy, and he would take more heat for the losses if they take place with his guy over center?

Is it because he thinks BJ can reach the minimum requirement of winning 3 more games?

in holtz i trust

redshirt him

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

was this 3 star recruit a lea vitt or holtz find