• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My thoughts on BJ being a "Throw First" Qb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  36
  • Days Won:  0

BJ just looks really frustrated. I think he can definitely be a pass first quarterback on the basis that we've seen him make the throws, short and long. He had a freakin cannon when Sterling was open in Tally. Right now it seems as though he is thinking instead of reacting to the play according to coverages and the play called. I think he is competitive because I do not think he chose to throw those picks. As for his quotes, I think he says he doesn't want to run because he thinks its the smart/right thing to say. I don't think he would've looked into the camera n said, " just lemme run the ball n ill throw someone open! whats with this learning plays crap?".. It's more him trying too hard and not having enough focus on what is important. He needs to just work on building confidence in his throws, and some remedial football 101 cuz this guy does not understand the game period. This is the same kid who needed to have Mike Canales' offense dumbed down...This whole time he's made it on athletic ability n making broken plays into big gains. Now that he can't just ad lib the whole game his numbers are in the crapper n he looks like a mighty mite qb playin college ball..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

Thought about this while watching the end of the MNF game last night.

No one can accuse Favre of not leaving it all on the field.

Wish BJ had Favre's attitude.

• Content Count:  91

Most of us know Skip and company are trying to get BJ into the "throw first" qb mentality. I think this hurts the team more than just the yards BJ would get on the ground. For example, the 2nd pick BJ threw, the defensive back that picked off that ball didnt respect BJ running the ball. Sure BJ could have run for a first down possibly on that play but it is my beleif that if BJ were running the ball more all night the DB on that play comes up to take away the run from BJ and he hits that pass. In other words, bj daniels pass efficiency is dependent upon him running the ball to cause confusion in the defensive backfield. It's probably why he looked better last year as the pass offense was "hike, let the qb scramble, find a guy who is open becuase his DB left him to stop the potential run".

Just my .02.

Agreed. BJ is a hell of a lot better at running than he is throwing anyway. Why make it harder on the guy? Why handicap the offense?

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

The thing is BJ has been saying that he doesn't like to run since he stepped foot on campus.  The difference is this season his is looking like a QB that doesn't like to run (outside of the UF game). 

Then why did he run a lot last year?  I think he just said that in one interview, and maybe it was taken the wrong way.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

The thing is BJ has been saying that he doesn't like to run since he stepped foot on campus.  The difference is this season his is looking like a QB that doesn't like to run (outside of the UF game). 

Then why did he run a lot last year?  I think he just said that in one interview, and maybe it was taken the wrong way.

I'm still looking for some type evidence of ALL these times he said that ...

• Content Count:  1,985

Leavitt liked runnig QBs, I think that is evident.  Skip does not.

• Content Count:  4,259

USF QB B.J. Daniels: 'I don't like to run'

In three games as USF's quarterback, redshirt freshman B.J. Daniels has established himself as a dual-threat passer, with two 100-yard rushing games that have him as the Bulls' leading rusher.

And while he's shown he can run, Daniels said this week that if he had a choice, he'd prefer to drop back and throw the ball more often.

"I'm the type of quarterback that can run. I don't like to run," Daniels said. "If we have 10 plays, I'd like to pass at least seven of those 10. Even when I was in high school, I've never had a 1,000-yard rushing season. I always wanted to buy time and make the big play to help out."

Daniels went over 100 yards in his first two games taking over for injured starter Matt Grothe, but Syracuse's defense appeared to try to take his scrambling ability away from USF's offense in Saturday's 34-20 Bulls win. Daniels had three carries for 2 yards in the first half, finishing with 32 yards on 10 attempts.

"As far as them trying to contain the edges, I'm glad they did, because I get to sit back there and spread the ball out to other people," Daniels said.

Despite playing sparingly in the first two games, Daniels is USF's leading rusher with 291 yards, and that total ranks him ninth nationally among quarterbacks in Division I-A. In the Big East, he ranks eighth overall, and only one of the players above him in the rushing leaders is averaging more than his 6.1 yards per carry.

Daniels will have his hands full trying to run the ball next week against Cincinnati, whose defense leads the nation in tackles for loss. In five games this season, the Bearcats' opposing quarterbacks have combined to rush for minus-59 yards, with none finishing with more than 18 yards.

Posted by Greg Auman at 5:57:05 pm on October 08, 2009

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-qb-bj-daniels-i-dont-run

Don't say I never gave you anything!!

• Content Count:  7,379

BJ just looks really frustrated. I think he can definitely be a pass first quarterback on the basis that we've seen him make the throws, short and long. He had a freakin cannon when Sterling was open in Tally. Right now it seems as though he is thinking instead of reacting to the play according to coverages and the play called. I think he is competitive because I do not think he chose to throw those picks. As for his quotes, I think he says he doesn't want to run because he thinks its the smart/right thing to say. I don't think he would've looked into the camera n said, " just lemme run the ball n ill throw someone open! whats with this learning plays crap?".. It's more him trying too hard and not having enough focus on what is important. He needs to just work on building confidence in his throws, and some remedial football 101 cuz this guy does not understand the game period. This is the same kid who needed to have Mike Canales' offense dumbed down...This whole time he's made it on athletic ability n making broken plays into big gains. Now that he can't just ad lib the whole game his numbers are in the crapper n he looks like a mighty mite qb playin college ball..

Was that a newsflash? Mike's Canales had an offense? Wow. I've seen him coach here twice, and at Arizona and had not seen proof of that yet! (I wasnt a MC fan)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

USF QB B.J. Daniels: 'I don't like to run'

In three games as USF's quarterback, redshirt freshman B.J. Daniels has established himself as a dual-threat passer, with two 100-yard rushing games that have him as the Bulls' leading rusher.

And while he's shown he can run, Daniels said this week that if he had a choice, he'd prefer to drop back and throw the ball more often.

"I'm the type of quarterback that can run. I don't like to run," Daniels said. "If we have 10 plays, I'd like to pass at least seven of those 10. Even when I was in high school, I've never had a 1,000-yard rushing season. I always wanted to buy time and make the big play to help out."

Daniels went over 100 yards in his first two games taking over for injured starter Matt Grothe, but Syracuse's defense appeared to try to take his scrambling ability away from USF's offense in Saturday's 34-20 Bulls win. Daniels had three carries for 2 yards in the first half, finishing with 32 yards on 10 attempts.

"As far as them trying to contain the edges, I'm glad they did, because I get to sit back there and spread the ball out to other people," Daniels said.

Despite playing sparingly in the first two games, Daniels is USF's leading rusher with 291 yards, and that total ranks him ninth nationally among quarterbacks in Division I-A. In the Big East, he ranks eighth overall, and only one of the players above him in the rushing leaders is averaging more than his 6.1 yards per carry.

Daniels will have his hands full trying to run the ball next week against Cincinnati, whose defense leads the nation in tackles for loss. In five games this season, the Bearcats' opposing quarterbacks have combined to rush for minus-59 yards, with none finishing with more than 18 yards.

Posted by Greg Auman at 5:57:05 pm on October 08, 2009

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-qb-bj-daniels-i-dont-run

Don't say I never gave you anything!!

You da man, hb .... So, he only said it one time, then ... but it does make a little more sense seeing it in context.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Most of us know Skip and company are trying to get BJ into the "throw first" qb mentality. I think this hurts the team more than just the yards BJ would get on the ground. For example, the 2nd pick BJ threw, the defensive back that picked off that ball didnt respect BJ running the ball. Sure BJ could have run for a first down possibly on that play but it is my beleif that if BJ were running the ball more all night the DB on that play comes up to take away the run from BJ and he hits that pass. In other words, BJ's pass efficiency is dependent upon him running the ball to cause confusion in the defensive backfield. It's probably why he looked better last year as the pass offense was "hike, let the qb scramble, find a guy who is open becuase his DB left him to stop the potential run".

Just my .02.

That is more like $20 bucks... I agree... either let BJ run wild or bench him, don't do this half ass stuff by trying to cram a round peg into a square hole.

Archived