• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My thoughts on BJ being a "Throw First" Qb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Most of us know Skip and company are trying to get BJ into the "throw first" qb mentality. I think this hurts the team more than just the yards BJ would get on the ground. For example, the 2nd pick BJ threw, the defensive back that picked off that ball didnt respect BJ running the ball. Sure BJ could have run for a first down possibly on that play but it is my beleif that if BJ were running the ball more all night the DB on that play comes up to take away the run from BJ and he hits that pass. In other words, BJ's pass efficiency is dependent upon him running the ball to cause confusion in the defensive backfield. It's probably why he looked better last year as the pass offense was "hike, let the qb scramble, find a guy who is open becuase his DB left him to stop the potential run".

Just my .02.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

For example, the 2nd pick BJ threw, the defensive back that picked off that ball didnt respect BJ running the ball. Sure BJ could have run for a first down possibly on that play but it is my beleif that if BJ were running the ball more all night the DB on that play comes up to take away the run from BJ and he hits that pass. In other words, bj daniels pass efficiency is dependent upon him running the ball to cause confusion in the defensive backfield. It's probably why he looked better last year as the pass offense was "hike, let the qb scramble, find a guy who is open becuase his DB left him to stop the potential run".

Just my .02.

That's a whole lot of value for 2 cents; spot on.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

This is exactly what I said in my thread about http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=75024.0 Yet people agree here and disagree there.  This is why I don't post here much anymore.

BTW - I totally agree with you Leavittation!

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Yes it is.  Send a memo to CSH and tell him.. He seems to be the one that doesn't understand this.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Yes it is.  Send a memo to CSH and tell him.. He seems to be the one that doesn't understand this.

You must have missed the 10-15 quotes from BJ talking about not wanting to run. I doubt that Holtz has told him that on 3rd and 5 it's better to toss it up into triple coverage than to take off and pick up 15-20 yards and the first down.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

You must have missed the 10-15 quotes from BJ talking about not wanting to run. I doubt that Holtz has told him that on 3rd and 5 it's better to toss it up into triple coverage than to take off and pick up 15-20 yards and the first down.

I respect your opinion, but if a player on my hoops team refuses to pass, he no play.  It's that simple. 

If Holtz has already lost control of his QB and the face of the program we're in for big trouble.  I think there is some communication/teaching issues that have not yet fully or properly transpired.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I respect your opinion, but if a player on my hoops team refuses to pass, he no play.  It's that simple. 

If Holtz has already lost control of his QB and the face of the program we're in for big trouble.  I think there is some communication/teaching issues that have not yet fully or properly transpired.

I fully agree. And let me say this...I don't know that BJ is consciously rebelling against the run. The issue is, by all of his quotes, he has left me room to question his desire to do whatever it takes to win.

I hope that he is not like that, but, if you say you don't want to run, then you pass up chances to run and help the team, I am left connecting the dots.

...I should also say, that I have been outwardly very down on BJ after this game, if you look back, I took up for him for the most part after the UF game. When he steps on the field on Thursday night, I am 100% in his corner from kickoff to kneel down. I want the kid to succeed, I just don't know that he is as good of a QB as we all hoped that he would be. I really hope that he proves me wrong.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Honestly, I HAVE missed those quotes .... Any links to at least a couple of them?

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The thing is BJ has been saying that he doesn't like to run since he stepped foot on campus.  The difference is this season his is looking like a QB that doesn't like to run (outside of the UF game). 

Archived