• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS football discussion (posts from Re: Big 10 raiding BE?)

Guest nybullsfan

They need the financing before they start locking up contracts.  A state of the art stadium would probably cost 250 to 300 million to build a 70 - 75k stadium.  It might cost even more to purchase the land unless they can get most of it donated.  I don't know where they would put a stadium on campus unless they bought university mall and tore it down.

How about here:

OCS.sized.jpg

(This is Papa Johns Stadium - colored green).

Personally, I would rather see it next to MOSI, connected by a moving footbridge to the Sun Dome (like a horizontal escalator), but there's actually enough space to build 4 of them on campus (see the black squares). Of course traffic and parking are always going to be an issue, no matter what gets built.

(I used the Carrier Dome, since I think an indoor stadium makes a lot more sense, and it can be used for graduation, hurricane shelter, etc).  I had to resize it since for some weird reason Google Maps uses different scales in Syracuse and Tampa, but it's sized to scale.)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Personally, I would rather see it next to MOSI, connected by a moving footbridge to the Sun Dome

There already is a footbridge from MOSI over Fowler avenue, so that would help.

There is room to build a stadium between the Sun Dome and Fowler and that would be the most logical place to build it.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Is this thread morphing into an OCS thread ?

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Is this thread morphing into an OCS thread ?

I think it already has.

Personally, I would rather see it next to MOSI, connected by a moving footbridge to the Sun Dome

There already is a footbridge from MOSI over Fowler avenue, so that would help.

There is room to build a stadium between the Sun Dome and Fowler and that would be the most logical place to build it.

That is the location of the Patel Center for Global Solutions. The first building is already going up (may be finished?) ... and they plan several more.

"Fowler Field" will eventually be no more.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

If money was a serious concern, it would be a good design to build it to about 60,000, and have plans in place to expand no earlier than 5 years, and no later than 10 years, to at no less than 80,000.

It would be a 5-6K decrease from Ray Jay, but we might hit that mark once a year, maybe twice if we're doing well. 60K would be a good number and it would effectively cause more "official" sell outs. Once it gets to the point where the sellouts are happening for almost every home game (gotta schedule good teams, gotta win games, gotta win conference championships), then they can slap on another 20-25K seating.

They could build it like Rutgers or other similar stadiums, where it's got a lower bowl in horseshoe formation, but maybe only an upper deck on the two sidelines. If they engineer it right, they fill in the one lower bowl gap, and add upper decks to each end zone, and then it's a capacity that can at least hold Big Ten and SEC style crowds (FSU does well with 84,000, I'm optimistic USF could too with more time and winning).

Believe it or not, UCF's stadium is built for expansion. While many may not like the erector set "my first stadium" setup, they can easily erect (heh, erect) some upper decks and push their capacity to near 60-65K or more. Even FSU's stadium is very similar, but they did renovate years ago to add the brick and make it less high school-esque. (when you're underneath, it's very similar to UCF)

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

I've got it! Build an eight story parking garage and then put the stadium on top of it with a dome! Kills two birds with one stone!!!! ;)

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

The current tennis complex will be moved and rebuilt down where greek row was supposed to be built (southeast undeveloped portion). So that area would be open to build a stadium, and I definitely think there is enough room there. Plus, it will be right across from Greek Village and most of the dorms. There would be 2 parking garages close to the stadium (lee roy collens and a new one next to social science building) and boom...you have a winner. Maple and Holly is where it should be. All they have to do is move the tennis complex (which they are) and demolish the existing flat ground crappy looking parking lot.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Jim,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that land that Athletics gave to Campus Rec?

So you don't have the confidence that in the 2-3 years USF wont be a potential big east chapmionship team?  With Holtz in, I have no doubt uSF can become a very good team by then, and we know when we have a very good team we sell ray jay out.

The current tennis complex will be moved and rebuilt down where greek row was supposed to be built (southeast undeveloped portion). So that area would be open to build a stadium, and I definitely think there is enough room there. Plus, it will be right across from Greek Village and most of the dorms. There would be 2 parking garages close to the stadium (lee roy collens and a new one next to social science building) and boom...you have a winner. Maple and Holly is where it should be. All they have to do is move the tennis complex (which they are) and demolish the existing flat ground crappy looking parking lot.

They would also need to relocate the track in the current soccer stadium. (There will be a new soccer stadium built at Elm Street & Sycamore.)

But yes, there is enough room along Holley between Maple and Sycamore.

Archived