• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS football discussion (posts from Re: Big 10 raiding BE?)

Guest Sunburned

Believe it or not, UCF's stadium is built for expansion. While many may not like the erector set "my first stadium" setup, they can easily erect (heh, erect) some upper decks and push their capacity to near 60-65K or more. Even FSU's stadium is very similar, but they did renovate years ago to add the brick and make it less high school-esque. (when you're underneath, it's very similar to UCF)

Question...Is FSU's stadium built with aluminum decking like the Wok or concrete like most college stadiums?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

The current tennis complex will be moved and rebuilt down where greek row was supposed to be built (southeast undeveloped portion). So that area would be open to build a stadium, and I definitely think there is enough room there. Plus, it will be right across from Greek Village and most of the dorms. There would be 2 parking garages close to the stadium (lee roy collens and a new one next to social science building) and boom...you have a winner. Maple and Holly is where it should be. All they have to do is move the tennis complex (which they are) and demolish the existing flat ground crappy looking parking lot.

They would also need to relocate the track in the current soccer stadium. (There will be a new soccer stadium built at Elm Street & Sycamore.)

But yes, there is enough room along Holley between Maple and Sycamore.

I believe Elm and Sycamore is where the new football practice facility will be. I know on the map it has soccer stadium, but I have read a few articles that have said that they football practice fields will be directly east of the athletic center. I dont think they would have to move the track stadium, there would be enough room.

• Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

If UCF gets in the BE and we are still there I don't think they would give us much trouble in recruiting at first. Sure they have an OCS but our kids would have the chance at playing in one of the best and most state of the art stadiums in the country. Also, wins and championships lure kids over anything...look at UM, they play off campus but score tons of talent because of the W's and the rings.

The current tennis complex will be moved and rebuilt down where greek row was supposed to be built (southeast undeveloped portion). So that area would be open to build a stadium, and I definitely think there is enough room there. Plus, it will be right across from Greek Village and most of the dorms. There would be 2 parking garages close to the stadium (lee roy collens and a new one next to social science building) and boom...you have a winner. Maple and Holly is where it should be. All they have to do is move the tennis complex (which they are) and demolish the existing flat ground crappy looking parking lot.

They would also need to relocate the track in the current soccer stadium. (There will be a new soccer stadium built at Elm Street & Sycamore.)

But yes, there is enough room along Holley between Maple and Sycamore.

I believe Elm and Sycamore is where the new football practice facility will be. I know on the map it has soccer stadium, but I have read a few articles that have said that they football practice fields will be directly east of the athletic center. I dont think they would have to move the track stadium, there would be enough room.

There will be three fields along elm between the athletic facility and Sycamore - two football practice fields and the new soccer stadium.

The track will have to move - there isn't enough room between Maple and the track for reasonable stadium. Remember, fields do not run east-west any longer; it will be angled much like my suggested image shows.

• Content Count:  4,642

the current approved master plan shows the stadium outline south of the sundome (oriented north-south), in the parking lot area.  alumni drive will be relocated south (into the fowler fields, closer to the new building construction).  two parking garages are just west of the proposed stadium location and the sundome.

• Content Count:  136

Believe it or not, UCF's stadium is built for expansion. While many may not like the erector set "my first stadium" setup, they can easily erect (heh, erect) some upper decks and push their capacity to near 60-65K or more. Even FSU's stadium is very similar, but they did renovate years ago to add the brick and make it less high school-esque. (when you're underneath, it's very similar to UCF)

Question...Is FSU's stadium built with aluminum decking like the Wok or concrete like most college stadiums?

FSU's stadium is concrete over steel framing. So, it's not quite like UCF, but it is not all concrete like Ray-Jay. However, you do walk on concrete and not aluminum decking.

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

How about parking as well?

the current approved master plan shows the stadium outline south of the sundome (oriented north-south), in the parking lot area.  alumni drive will be relocated south (into the fowler fields, closer to the new building construction).  two parking garages are just west of the proposed stadium location and the sundome.

That's not a stadium, as you might suspect.  Remember last year, USF started talking whether it would be more cost-effective build a new arena as opposed to renovating the Sun Dome (not sure how far those discussions have progressed).

Stadiums and arenas typically last 30-50 years. The Sun Dome turns 30 this year... even with a newer roof and other amenities, it's still 30-yr-old concrete; Tampa Stadium barely made it past 30 (although the Sun Dome was constructed better). 

Moreover, the parking lot there isn't nearly big enough to fit a more-modern football stadium.

The reason for the outline is so campus planners don't decide to put a third parking garage, limiting the ability to replace the Sun Dome if that should ever be needed.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Personally, I would rather see it next to MOSI, connected by a moving footbridge to the Sun Dome

There already is a footbridge from MOSI over Fowler avenue, so that would help.

There is room to build a stadium between the Sun Dome and Fowler and that would be the most logical place to build it.

That is the location of the Patel Center for Global Solutions. The first building is already going up (may be finished?) ... and they plan several more.

"Fowler Field" will eventually be no more.

I didn't necessarily mean that specific location. You can use some of the Southern portion of the Sun Dome parking lot and the grass area beyond it and have more than enough room for a stadium.

Archived