OCS football discussion (posts from Re: Big 10 raiding BE?)

Cow Pie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree.

First of all, the last thing we want to do is be forced to build an OCS like UCF was. Second, for every kid that would pick UCF based on your scenario, there would be one that picks USF for the chance to play in a state of the art NFL stadium .... The recruiting angle is pretty much a moot point.

Forced is probably the wrong word, and forced to build an OCS like what UCF has is not what I had in mind....but I think it would make USF strongly consider building on campus.  If the plan were put in place now it would also show other conferences that might be looking at USF (if the Big East blows up) that we are serious about having football on campus like 99% of other traditional universities.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ray Jay.  I just think I would like an OCS more, if done the right way.  Not the UCF budget way, but the right way.  With construction costs down, now might be a good time to explore. 

I agree... the housing / construction market in Florida is in the basement and dropping further every day... USF could lock in a construction contract now for something that would of before been way out of our price range.

I love Ray Jay as well but grow tired and fed up with the TSA and the TPD which go around and hassle everyone that looks like they may be a student.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

If UCF gets in a BCS conference, then I wouldn't be upset if we end up in a conference with them.  Easy road trip. 

It would force USF to build an OCS.  If a kid is given a chance to pick between two schools, both in central florida, both in the same conference, assuming he likes both staffs and educational opportunities, I think he would pick the school with the on campus atmosphere.  I think Holtz would agree.

First of all, the last thing we want to do is be forced to build an OCS like UCF was. Second, for every kid that would pick UCF based on your scenario, there would be one that picks USF for the chance to play in a state of the art NFL stadium .... The recruiting angle is pretty much a moot point.

Forced is probably the wrong word, and forced to build an OCS like what UCF has is not what I had in mind....but I think it would make USF strongly consider building on campus.  If the plan were put in place now it would also show other conferences that might be looking at USF (if the Big East blows up) that we are serious about having football on campus like 99% of other traditional universities.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ray Jay.  I just think I would like an OCS more, if done the right way.  Not the UCF budget way, but the right way.  With construction costs down, now might be a good time to explore. 

I agree... the housing / construction market in Florida is in the basement and dropping further every day... USF could lock in a construction contract now for something that would of before been way out of our price range.

I love Ray Jay as well but grow tired and fed up with the TSA and the TPD which go around and hassle everyone that looks like they may be a student.

They need the financing before they start locking up contracts.  A state of the art stadium would probably cost 250 to 300 million to build a 70 - 75k stadium.  It might cost even more to purchase the land unless they can get most of it donated.  I don't know where they would put a stadium on campus unless they bought university mall and tore it down.

They need the financing before they start locking up contracts.  A state of the art stadium would probably cost 250 to 300 million to build a 70 - 75k stadium.  It might cost even more to purchase the land unless they can get most of it donated.  I don't know where they would put a stadium on campus unless they bought university mall and tore it down.

How about here:

OCS.sized.jpg

(This is Papa Johns Stadium - colored green).

I forgot about that area.  They could put some parking garages over there too.  Still need the financing for it.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  3

USF isn't dropping $300 million for a stadium we wouldn't routinely sell out.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Jim,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that land that Athletics gave to Campus Rec?

Jim,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that land that Athletics gave to Campus Rec?

Yeah... but it's all University property.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I would think that with all the new athletic facilites projects going on that the football stadium wouldn't be so far away from everything else.

• Content Count:  66,206
  • Days Won:  172

some big construction co should approach usf and the state a cut a sweet deal for all if things are so bad

some big construction co should approach usf and the state a cut a sweet deal for all if things are so bad

They still have to make a profit.  You see a lot of construction companies going under because the cost is higher than some bids. 

Archived