• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ECU recruits?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

i think were past the point of striving for two star recruits....or at least i really hope we are

My post concenring Selvie wasn't meant to say that we should strive for 2 star recruits, but we shouldn't be by passing anyone who could be better than what an arbitrary ranking says.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, not saying to strive for 2-star recruits, but to put it in perspective. I don't know why USF fans think our program has a history of hauling in elite talent on the O-line.

According to Rivals rankings:

USF has never had a OL commit rated higher than 3 stars.

USF has had NINE 3-star o-line commits since 2002

USF's first class with more than one 3-star commit on the o-line was last year.

Let's look at last year's commits:

Carlos Savala (umm)

Kamran Joyer (umm)

Steven Jacques

Jamar Bass

The rest of our illustrious program's 3-star linemen?

Jacob Griffin

Chris DeArmas

Kevin McCaskill

Thomas Edenfield

Jatavious Jackson

IF, and it is a big IF, Eatmon, Jose, Kaufman, Kibler and Eatmon make it in it will be our best line class by those standards. I think that ECU kid would be a solid add, especially if something happens.

We aren't competing for Seantrel Henderson here.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Going by just the scout site, it looked like ECU only had two star verbals. However, on Rivals they have a number of three star verbals, including Mack Helms OL/DT from Florida, who I mentioned had visited our spring game.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/eastcarolina/football/recruiting/player-Mack-Helms-96532

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

I understand thar Ruffin McNeill, the former DC at TT, is going to be their new head coach. I mentioned his name as a possible candidate to look at when we were doing our coaching search. I think he is a good hire for them.

Perhaps, now that ECU has a HC, Holtz might not be quite as reluctant to consider their verbals.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Greg said that Jatavious Jackson left the school in mid season.

Greg said that Jatavious Jackson left the school in mid season.

Yes, I heard him say that in his chat.

• Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

January 21, 2010

ECU recruit likes Bulls; Carnes back with USF

Alan Dell

USFBullsEYE.com

Drew Gentry was East Carolina's first recruit for the class of 2010. But now he is re-assessing things and USF is looking better to him every day. (The rest is premium)

He's a frormer teammate of USF LB Chase Griffiths.

Here is his profile on Scout:

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=4253654

His profile on rivals:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/wakeforest/football/recruiting/player-Drew-Gentry-96876

Rivals shows a much more impressive offer list including Arkansas and Clemson

McNeill says he's home, brings Riley with him

By Nathan Summers

The Daily Reflector

Friday, January 22, 2010

...McNeill confirmed he’s not only bringing 26-year-old Lincoln Riley (former Texas Tech wide

receivers coach) on board to be his offensive coordinator, but that he’ll be bringing the same offense that was employed at Texas Tech during his 10-year stint with the Red Raiders prior to coming to Greenville.

McNeill also promised to try to hang on to all of ECU’s committed recruits as the Feb. 3 national signing day approaches, and said he was poised to hit the recruiting road immediately.

http://www.reflector.com/ecu/mcneill-says-hes-home-brings-riley-him-20747

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,572
  • Days Won:  423

i think were past the point of striving for two star recruits....or at least i really hope we are

We also have to keep in mind that coaches don't go to recruiting sites, see who the 3, 4 and 5 star prospects are and then go after them. They go after players based what THEY or other contacts think about them. Look at what we've accomplished since our inception with mostly low rated classes. Do we chalk that up to superior coaching or was it that the athletes we were getting may not have been as lowly as the "experts" thought they were?

• Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks-

He has a couple of three stars committed already but may have extended offers (or ECU) to some 4 star players that could be looking at USF now that he is here.

This is what I'm thinking or meant.  He (Skip) has offered (while at ECU) to some 4 star recruits.  I wonder is those recruits are looking to South Florida now.  It may be a moot point anyway, as the recruits may not have thought about ECU to start with even if offers were extended.

Thanks-

He has a couple of three stars committed already but may have extended offers (or ECU) to some 4 star players that could be looking at USF now that he is here.

This is what I'm thinking or meant.  He (Skip) has offered (while at ECU) to some 4 star recruits.  I wonder is those recruits are looking to South Florida now.  It may be a moot point anyway, as the recruits may not have thought about ECU to start with even if offers were extended.

I located the ECU Rivals "quick list" and there are many three and four star players who they offered while at ECU. Quite a few are from Florida and ended up giving a verbal out of state and some are still uncommitted. I think that there should be a number of them who would like to play for USF. I'd be very surprised if we dont get a few visits from those guys next weekend.

http://eastcarolina.rivals.com/quicklist.asp?School=124&Sport=1&Position=4&Year=2010&qs=1

Archived