• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ECU recruits?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

I wonder if Skip can or will contact any of his top ECU recruits to get them to come here instead?  Is that legal? ;D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's legal, but I doubt he would do that for a several reasons.

We have a relatively small class this year and Holtz has said that we will honor all USF verbals. If, we don't have many decommits then that will not leave very many available spots. There are probably USF offers out there to kids who are better at their positions than the ones he was going after at ECU and he will wait to see what happens with them. I think it's more likely that some ECU verbals might contact Skip to see whether he is interested in them at USF.

• Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks-

He has a couple of three stars committed already but may have extended offers (or ECU) to some 4 star players that could be looking at USF now that he is here.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm more worried about keeping some of ours.

It's legal, but I doubt he would do that for several reasons.

We have a relatively small class this year and Holtz has said that we will honor all USF verbals. If, we don't have many decommits then that will not leave very many available spots. There are probably USF offers out there to kids who are better at their positions than the ones he was going after at ECU and he will wait to see what happens with them. I think it's more likely that some ECU verbals might contact Skip to see whether he is interested in them at USF.

skip is encouraging ECU commits to stay with their choice. those who havent committed i imagine he is open to inviting them to south florida. he is honoring south florida verbals and evaluating those who havent yet committed.

i read this in a tbo/st pete times article

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

If there's room, perhaps he talks to them in a few weeks, but it's not likely.  If we weren't finally getting some tackle committs, they have a few guys that might would have worked for us.  They also have an athletic QB, Desi Brown, that runs a 4.6 that might switch to another position in college.  Maybe we give him a look if we don't get another QB to go with Carnes.

Latst update on ECU recruits.

http://bonesville.net/Articles/SammyBatten/2010/01/011810_Batten_RecruitsStatus.htm

I wouldn't mind getting Matt Helms the DT from Leon HS. He attended the USF spring game, so he must have had interest in USF before giving a verbal to ECU.

667210.jpg

Matt Helms at 2010 USF Spring Game

I think his actual name is MACK Helms, rather that MATT Helms.

MACK HELMS (6-3, 275), DT, Tallahassee (FL) Leon High ... Helms had not played football until the ninth grade, having been homeschooled up to that point. ... Began his football career at Katy, Texas. ... Missed spring practice at Leon in 2009 with an ankle injury but still received recruiting interest from Cincinnati, Indiana, Iowa State, Marshall, South Florida and Southern Miss. ... Recruited by Pirates assistant Rick Smith. ... Coached by Bill Ragans at Leon. ... made an unofficial visit to Greenville this summer. ... His dad, Mack Helms III, played golf at Florida. ... Ragans, who played at Florida State when ECU coach Skip Holtz was a graduate assistant there, said Helms has a special intensity about him and credits his work ethic. ... Good student with 3.07 grade point average. [posted 09.16.09]

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I doubt it.  we have recruits that are way more talented than ecu's recruits.  plus i don't think we have that many more scholorships available.  we have a lot of players returning which is good for usf.

Archived