• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ECU recruits?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Mama I hope you are right. Kid looks like he would be our most impressive get if it happened.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  578

I know in another thread someone said something about a JUCO QB being possibly offered. This was in ESPN's rumor central about ECU's JUCO QB. Another guy out of Fort Scott like JPP, Jacquain and the aforementioned Lavonte David. Didn't know what thread to throw this in so this one will have to do. I don't know how much you want to read into it but here it is:

Dominique Davis decided to transfer to East Carolina, after a stint at Boston College and Fort Scott Community College in Kansas.

And when he committed, then-coach Skip Holtz may have seen Davis as the QB of the future. But, of course, Holtz went to South Florida and new coach Ruffin McNeil is likely trying to bring the Texas Tech spread offense with him to Greenville, N.C.

Davis was expected to enroll in the spring to get and early start at East Carolina, but he didn't do so, The Daily Reflector reports, which means he's free to sign anywhere until he enrolls in the summer. Meanwhile, McNeil is reportedly hot on the trail recruiting, and some of the guys he's talking to may be QBs.

So all that is to say that the QB situation just got murkier at ECU. Rising sophomore Josh Jordan may have the inside edge of Davis doesn't commit, but it will be vital for the new QB to get reps with his receivers, especially if McNeil and new offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley want to transplant Texas Tech's spread to their new place of employment.

Here is some highlights from his time at Fort Scott CC:

• Content Count:  2,523

Probably a great fit for us considering our situation and he looks pretty good.  Throws a little high, but at least he's leading WRs and putting it where only his guys can really get it...I'd bet he's coming to USF since he didn't enroll at ECU as planned...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

"Davis was expected to enroll in the spring to get and early start at East Carolina, but he didn't do so."

Oh, that's interesting.

Lots of poaching of QB's by their old coaches going on, especially in the Big East.

QB follows Jones to Cincinnati

January, 25, 2010 Jan 254:04PM

By Brian Bennett

Butch Jones and several of his assistants aren't the only ones going from Central Michigan to Cincinnati.

Quarterback Cody Kater, who had committed to the Chippewas last summer when Jones was the head coach there, has now switched his pledge and says he will sign with the Bearcats next week. He is a 6-foot-2, 195-pound prospect from Montague, Mich., who was also being courted by Northwestern, TCU and others. He passed for 34 touchdowns and ran for 11 more as a senior, but Scouts Inc. says it does not see him as a dual-threat guy at the college level.

Kater's commitment could be key because the other quarterback in Cincinnati's class right now -- local product Luke Massa -- is wavering in his commitment and is being wooed by former Bearcats coach Brian Kelly at Notre Dame.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/7374/qb-follows-jones-to-cincinnati

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Probably a great fit for us considering our situation and he looks pretty good.  Throws a little high, but at least he's leading WRs and putting it where only his guys can really get it...I'd bet he's coming to USF since he didn't enroll at ECU as planned...

I think that would be great but wouldn't he want to where he'd have a better chance of starting? A place that's lost it's starter to graduation and only unproven kids to compete against ... if there is such a place.

• Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

I think that would be great but wouldn't he want to where he'd have a better chance of starting? A place that's lost it's starter to graduation and only unproven kids to compete against ... if there is such a place.

There is...

It's called ECU

That's the first thing I thought. If he comes here I assume Coach Holtz is telling him the QB position is wide open which would make for an awkward QB atmosphere. If this guy comes in and supplants BJ then BJ would likely transfer or this guy leaves because he'll never play. I don't see it happening. It would make more sense to get a HS QB and redshirt him his freshman year while having Landi & Virgin back-up. I guess we'll see though.

• Content Count:  509

I don't think having Dominique Davis and BJ Daniels competing for the starting job would be such a bad thing. The quarterback position should be wide open. Although BJ played well last year, he hardly played well enough to be anointed QB for life. I for one would like to see Davis; we would finally have a tall quarterback, and might be a better fit with what Holtz wants to do offensively. Would he lose a year of eligibility?

I agree that having competition for any position is usually a good thing. It's just different for the QB position and most certainly in our case where you have a guy who started basically the whole year with 3 years of eligibility left and there is a chance he might sit for two years then start again later. Obviously this is all speculation but someone else did mention a JUCO QB so it would be the case no matter who the guy was.

Since I can't edit my post I also want to add that yes, I'd be excited to see a tall QB under center. Would be nice.

Archived