• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An Open Letter to Coach Leavitt

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,348
  • Days Won:  10

An Open Letter to Coach Leavitt:

I lack the eloquence to express how much a part of our lives you have become or how much gratitude we have for your time at our university.  When dreaming of someday having a football team at USF -- the excitement, the name recognition, the game day pagentry -- we could not have asked for a more passionate leader.  You fully believed in us; you embraced us and we you.  You were larger than life and became the face of USF Football.  I am chuckling right now remembering some of your antics -- you are anything but stoic and boring.  In short, you were our coach.  Individually, one on one.  We believed in you and willingly followed you at a pace so fast we made history.  You left your mark and legacy at USF and will never be forgotten.  There really is no way to express our gratitude.

The recent events are so disheartening and sad.  No one who was not in the locker room that day knows what happened and to what degree.  Few actually know what happened afterward nor anyone's intent.  I have been an administrative investigator for over seven years and I know how inflamed emotions can get during the stress of an investigation.  And I know as well the pressure on an investigator to hurry and yet do nothing less than a perfect investigation.  It is the knowledge and experience gained from my work that causes me to bypass any judgment because I know that there is much I do not know about what went on.  And because, at this time, it really doesn't matter to me.  You are a legend to many of us and no matter the outcome of the procedings, we love you.  And we love USF.

It is difficult for me to ask this, but my love for the institution that gave me a great education, as well as educating my daughter causes me to have the courage to ask it.  Please let it go.  You may believe that I have no right to ask this and I don't blame you.  But it is over.  Would I love it if you somehow could come back?  If I could see your passion on the sidelines again?  To see you tear up during an interview while trying to explain to a reporter what a victory means to the community, the players, the university?  I would give so much to see that again.  But in order to even have a hope of that happening would mean to inflict great pain on the team, the university, and the community as a whole.  I don't profess to have a greater love for USF than you do.  But your love for USF must counsel you to do what is best for all of us.

I worry about the effect such a radical change of life has on a person as passionate as you.  For years, you have defined yourself in terms of your life at USF.  Your identity IS USF.  And now that is gone.  Coach, you still have worth and much to offer.  But no man is what he does and should never measure themselves in terms of thier job, but rather in terms of their relationships to others for that is where our real worth lies.  You said it yourself in your press conference -- the value of knowing that you helped shape young lives.  There are plenty of opportunities for you to continue that vocation and God knows, plenty of need.  Find yourself a mentor in that respect and grow and continue to mold young lives.

It is because of your love for USF that I ask that you allow us to move on as you yourself move on.  We will miss you as you will miss us.  We hope for your success as you hope for ours.  I will never see a USF logo without seeing your face.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart and know that you will do what is best for us, as your passion and love will allow you to do nothing less.

Chuck Gerhart

Class of 1994

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Very classy Dad. I do hope that the letter finds its way into Leavitt's hands.

• Content Count:  2,461

Take it for what it is... and if you are so close to CJL as you claim... Deliver it to him.

From what I gathered at his news conference, this isn't about the money. Correct me if I am wrong.

Guest Sunburned

Take it for what it is... and if you are so close to CJL as you claim... Deliver it to him.

From what I gathered at his news conference, this isn't about the money. Correct me if I am wrong.

With all due respect to Dad, I do take it for what it is worth....BULLHOCKEY!

Let me translate...

"Hey, we really love you and respect all that you did for us, but it's now time for you to bend over and grabbed your ankles.  C'mon, take it like a man!"

Since it's not about the money,  if  Leavitt is awarded or settles for anything, he should donate it all to the thing he loves...USF Football.

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Dad,

Will you be enclosing a check from the University for $7,100,000.00 with that letter?

Now...Will you be writing an open letter to Woolard and Genshaft asking for that check?

he can have this if it helps....  :)

million-dollar-bill.jpg

• Content Count:  1,037

An Open Letter to Coach Leavitt:

I lack the eloquence to express how much a part of our lives you have become or how much gratitude we have for your time at our university.  When dreaming of someday having a football team at USF -- the excitement, the name recognition, the game day pagentry -- we could not have asked for a more passionate leader.  You fully believed in us; you embraced us and we you.  You were larger than life and became the face of USF Football.  I am chuckling right now remembering some of your antics -- you are anything but stoic and boring.  In short, you were our coach.  Individually, one on one.  We believed in you and willingly followed you at a pace so fast we made history.  You left your mark and legacy at USF and will never be forgotten.  There really is no way to express our gratitude.

The recent events are so disheartening and sad.  No one who was not in the locker room that day knows what happened and to what degree.  Few actually know what happened afterward nor anyone's intent.  I have been an administrative investigator for over seven years and I know how inflamed emotions can get during the stress of an investigation.  And I know as well the pressure on an investigator to hurry and yet do nothing less than a perfect investigation.  It is the knowledge and experience gained from my work that causes me to bypass any judgment because I know that there is much I do not know about what went on.  And because, at this time, it really doesn't matter to me.  You are a legend to many of us and no matter the outcome of the procedings, we love you.  And we love USF.

It is difficult for me to ask this, but my love for the institution that gave me a great education, as well as educating my daughter causes me to have the courage to ask it.  Please let it go.  You may believe that I have no right to ask this and I don't blame you.  But it is over.  Would I love it if you somehow could come back?  If I could see your passion on the sidelines again?  To see you tear up during an interview while trying to explain to a reporter what a victory means to the community, the players, the university?  I would give so much to see that again.  But in order to even have a hope of that happening would mean to inflict great pain on the team, the university, and the community as a whole.  I don't profess to have a greater love for USF than you do.  But your love for USF must counsel you to do what is best for all of us.

I worry about the effect such a radical change of life has on a person as passionate as you.  For years, you have defined yourself in terms of your life at USF.  Your identity IS USF.  And now that is gone.  Coach, you still have worth and much to offer.  But no man is what he does and should never measure themselves in terms of thier job, but rather in terms of their relationships to others for that is where our real worth lies.  You said it yourself in your press conference -- the value of knowing that you helped shape young lives.  There are plenty of opportunities for you to continue that vocation and God knows, plenty of need.  Find yourself a mentor in that respect and grow and continue to mold young lives.

It is because of your love for USF that I ask that you allow us to move on as you yourself move on.  We will miss you as you will miss us.  We hope for your success as you hope for ours.  I will never see a USF logo without seeing your face.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart and know that you will do what is best for us, as your passion and love will allow you to do nothing less.

Chuck Gerhart

Class of 1994

A CLASSY post!

If you love the univeristy don't fight it!

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

i agree with the letter from grateful.  cjl we love you but you  have to see it is over.  go after your money.  but you need time to heal and plan your next step. 

• Content Count:  642

Dad,

Will you be enclosing a check from the University for $7,100,000.00 with that letter?

Now...Will you be writing an open letter to Woolard and Genshaft asking for that check?

who are you? identify yourself. What is your intent in becoming a member of this board?

• Content Count:  12,293

Dad,

who are you? identify yourself. What is your intent in becoming a member of this board?

he claims to be a close friend of CJL from his days back at Mizz.

if that is really the case then I gotta question the company that Leavitt keeps.

Archived