• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oh no. This isn't good. (McCarney)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

if McC was the man,why hire Nienas?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

I seriously doubt he will take us to the next level. Isn't that what we wanted? This is a serious gamble.

I actually see this as the absolute safest coach we could hire, not a gamble at all. He has been recruiting Florida hard for the last 3+ years. He knows some of our players, and they will vouch for him with the players that do not know him. He worked wonders with our DL in 2007.

I would rather have Gus Malzahn or Terry Bowden, but McCarney is far from a gamble in my mind.

Ok so lets hire a coach who is a great recruiter in the state of Florida, but is not a proven winner. He will be our Ron Zook. Have great recruiting classes and mediocre seasons on the field. Also our offensive gameplan will stay the same if hes coach because hes friends with Chico. Our offense was so inconsistent this year, it was so hard to watch. We need a fresh coach who has been a winner in the past.

you are making alot of assumptions, not only about the quality of his coaching but also of his allegiance to former staff members.

If they hire McCarney, expect some changes in the overall coaching positions/makeup. I wouldn't move Tresey but I think he would entertain bringing in his own guy for offense and moving Canales back to receivers coach (if he would take that).

and if I hear one more person howling for us to fire Carl Franks, I think I will puke. He has a HUGE impact on how well we recruit this state and that should not be underestimated.

Fair enough,

but the thing is we don't need someone to resurrect our program. We need someone to win big. I just don't think McCarney is man for the job...

you might be correct-- my point is that it is not a terrible hire. In fact-- it might be the safest one available and at a price we can afford right now.

the comparisons some are making to him being the next Zook for us are strange. Zook was never a head coach before taking over when SOS left. That statement would better fit Raheem Morris

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I think hiring McCarney would be like hiring strong only with HC experience. I'm for it. I would like to see him make some changes to the staff and would hope we could upgrade in some areas by paying him less than our last HC. I hope he wouldn't just come in to replace leavitt with the current staff in place.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Everyone keeps saying that he only recruits DL... Am I wrong, or is recruiting usually done by region. So, we have guys working south florida, we have guys working north florida and so on.

My guess is that UF operates the same way so that coaches can build a rapport with HS coaches. McCarney has probably been recruiting all positions in a certain region, with some special visits to other regions with DL families.

if McC was the man,why hire Nienas?

two reasons come to mind:

1) CYA-- cover your ass -- if you take the suggestion from them and go with it, it is less your fault than what the headhunter group did. Also-- they do background research on the candidates they present and can even be directed to do this for people you already have in mind.

2) larger pool of coaches--- this is to provide them with alternatives that USF-- a school that hasn't had to hire a head football coach in 14-15 years-- with some expertise in that area

it is pretty standard these days even if you have the guy in mind the whole time but even more so when you haven't gone through the process in over a decade

Everyone keeps saying that he only recruits DL... Am I wrong, or is recruiting usually done by region. So, we have guys working south florida, we have guys working north florida and so on.

My guess is that UF operates the same way so that coaches can build a rapport with HS coaches. McCarney has probably been recruiting all positions in a certain region, with some special visits to other regions with DL families.

you are completely correct -- what position you coach has no bearing on who you recruit-- other than being involved in the end game of the process and when it comes to decisions on who to offer.

Whoever we get-- if we are going to continue to work primarily in Florida (just like Miami and the rest of the Big Three have openly said they were refocusing their efforts again), we need someone who knows the state, has ties in the state-- in addition to being a great coach.

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Alright I gotta say after reading his bio on our athletics site I'm beginning to like the idea of having him as our coach. But yeah hopefully if he is our next coach he will make changes to our gameplan. Seriously its like Rutgers has our playbook.

McC:

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=859874

• Content Count:  1,204

McCarney is my least favorite candidate. He is a good defensive line coach, but he was a mediocre head coach. Why take him over someone like Terry Bowden who went undefeated at Auburn or even Tommy Bowden who went undefeated at Tulane. Seriously, McCarney's record is   56-85!

Hell I'll take Fulmer over him.

56-85 at Iowa State.  There's a difference.  Do you realize that Iowa State is really the #3 program IN IOWA behind Iowa and Northern Iowa?

What McCarney did there was unprecedented when you consider access to talent and history.

He's not a bad choice if he's the one.  I like him or Sparks quite a bit and am less sure about Magee.

• Content Count:  578

Ok so he brought a down program to mediocre success. Only once had he won more than 7 games. I'm sorry but Leavitt had it harder bringing a program from nothing and he gets roasted for better records. The last time Leavitt failed to reach 8 wins was 2005. If McCarney gets credit for the success of 2007 then he gets the blame for it being the beginning of our name infamous "last season collapses." Sounds like he is a great DL coach but I'd be very concerned we'd still have much of the same under him.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Cause Iowa is a recruiting haven like Florida...

Archived