• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oh no. This isn't good. (McCarney)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

I hope they are wrong. They've been right the last couple of times:

South Florida:

Our sources have confirmed that Interim Head Coach Carl Franks and Offensive Coordinator Mike Canales have interviewed for the vacant Head Coach

position.  According to our sources, FootballCoachScoop has learned that Dan McCarney (Florida Defensive Line) is most likely the next Head Coach.

Edit: I realize this is my opinion some of you loved the idea of McCarney being our coach. We'll see what happens.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  578
  • Days Won:  0

It would contradict the hiring of Neinas, in my opinion. But we'll see.

• Content Count:  5,591

McCarney wouldn't be a bad choice, not my first, but he should do a decent job.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If USF does something this stupid then Judy and Doug need to just turn in their resignations now and save everyone the trouble later... we don't need some amateur coming in here that has no head coaching experience.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

McCarney is a great coach I would like the hire.

If USF does something this stupid then Judy and Doug need to just turn in their resignations now and save everyone the trouble later... we don't need some amateur coming in here that has no head coaching experience.

He was the Head coach at Iowa State for 12 seasons. But his overall record is 56-85 :-\

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Coach Dan McCarney: Defensive Line

"I’ve known Coach McCarney since 1989 when I was a graduate assistant at Iowa. He is absolutely the best defensive line coach I’ve ever been around, and we are very fortunate to have him at USF." --Head Coach Jim Leavitt

McCarney led the Iowa State program from 1995-2006 and took the program to five Bowl games in a six-year stretch. In the 115 years of ISU football, only 16 teams have won seven games or more, and McCarney led five of those teams. He was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 2004 when the Cyclones were the Big 12 North Co-Champions.

Prior to Iowa State, McCarney was credited with building the powerful Wisconsin defense as the coordinator for Barry Alvarez, when he took over that struggling Big 10 program in 1990. In the four years prior to the arrival of Alvarez and McCarney – as defensive coordinator – Wisconsin was 9-36. By 1993, the Badgers were Rose Bowl Champions (21-16 over UCLA) with a 10-1-1 record.

McCarney joined Alvarez at Wisconsin from Iowa, his alma mater, where he was a long-time assistant to Hayden Fry. He played for the Hawkeyes from 1972-74 and coached with the program from 1977-1989.

Coaching Experience:

2007          USF - Assistant Head Coach & Defensive Line Coach

1995-2006 Iowa State - Head Coach

1990-1994 Wisconsin - Defensive Coordinator & Defensive Line Coach

1979-1989 Iowa - Defensive Line Coach

1977-1978 Iowa - Offensive Line Coach

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I read somewhere yesterday that McCarney hadn't even been contacted yet. They just hired a headhunter headhunter to conduct a thorough search. I believe they are just in the process now of compiling a thorough short list.

McCarney would be fine. Although I don't think Brett would like him too much. McCarney swears a lot and Brett has written articles that he finds swearing on the football field unacceptable so he may be launching an investigation with anonymous sources immediately.

McCarney is my least favorite candidate. He is a good defensive line coach, but he was a mediocre head coach. Why take him over someone like Terry Bowden who went undefeated at Auburn or even Tommy Bowden who went undefeated at Tulane. Seriously, McCarney's record is   56-85!

Hell I'll take Fulmer over him.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

56-85 at one of the worst college football programs ever...the guy won at Iowa State.

Archived