• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oh no. This isn't good. (McCarney)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

I seriously doubt he will take us to the next level. Isn't that what we wanted? This is a serious gamble.

I actually see this as the absolute safest coach we could hire, not a gamble at all. He has been recruiting Florida hard for the last 3+ years. He knows some of our players, and they will vouch for him with the players that do not know him. He worked wonders with our DL in 2007.

I would rather have Gus Malzahn or Terry Bowden, but McCarney is far from a gamble in my mind.

Ok so lets hire a coach who is a great recruiter in the state of Florida, but is not a proven winner. He will be our Ron Zook. Have great recruiting classes and mediocre seasons on the field. Also our offensive gameplan will stay the same if hes coach because hes friends with Chico. Our offense was so inconsistent this year, it was so hard to watch. We need a fresh coach who has been a winner in the past.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  166

Just to note...he took Iowa State to more bowls than they had ever been to

exactly-- and the talent pool he was getting was far lower than what he can expect from just this state alone.

I wouldn't mind McCarney at all-- he's been in Florida for 3-4 years so he understands the recruiting environment. Also-- he has been part of UF's recruiting team so he might have picked up some valuable experience and networking ties with state HS coaches there.

Add to it that he has been a part of our program before and knows many of the staff (we should entertain the idea of retaining around half of these guys atleast from a recruiting/stability perspective) and it seems like a very convenient fit for USF.

Not a fan of Bowden -- he seems pretty desparate and no amount of pleading is removing that tarnish he put on himself.

I just hope we get this settled quickly and do a good job selecting the next coach. I like that the firm we used to identify Woolard is being used for the HC position too. I have no real problem with Doug Woolard in spite of CJL's firing which I disagreed with-- because I got the impression it wasn't him pushing for the move in the first place. Woolard has done a pretty solid job since coming here and relieving Mr. Selmon.

I seriously doubt he will take us to the next level. Isn't that what we wanted? This is a serious gamble.

I actually see this as the absolute safest coach we could hire, not a gamble at all. He has been recruiting Florida hard for the last 3+ years. He knows some of our players, and they will vouch for him with the players that do not know him. He worked wonders with our DL in 2007.

I would rather have Gus Malzahn or Terry Bowden, but McCarney is far from a gamble in my mind.

Ok so lets hire a coach who is a great recruiter in the state of Florida, but is not a proven winner. He will be our Ron Zook. Have great recruiting classes and mediocre seasons on the field. Also our offensive gameplan will stay the same if hes coach because hes friends with Chico. Our offense was so inconsistent this year, it was so hard to watch. We need a fresh coach who has been a winner in the past.

you are making alot of assumptions, not only about the quality of his coaching but also of his allegiance to former staff members.

If they hire McCarney, expect some changes in the overall coaching positions/makeup. I wouldn't move Tresey but I think he would entertain bringing in his own guy for offense and moving Canales back to receivers coach (if he would take that).

and if I hear one more person howling for us to fire Carl Franks, I think I will puke. He has a HUGE impact on how well we recruit this state and that should not be underestimated.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

you are making alot of assumptions, not only about the quality of his coaching but also of his allegiance to former staff members.

If they hire McCarney, expect some changes in the overall coaching positions/makeup. I wouldn't move Tresey but I think he would entertain bringing in his own guy for offense and moving Canales back to receivers coach (if he would take that).

and if I hear one more person howling for us to fire Carl Franks, I think I will puke. He has a HUGE impact on how well we recruit this state and that should not be underestimated.

yeah I agree, I don't know much about Franks but if he can recruit well we need to keep him, I think most dont like his RB philosophy, but the HC has

the final say on who runs the ball and how often

McCarney or the other guy at Michigan are both serious gambles to save money... he is a failure at head coach and also he only has recruiting experience with defensive linemen only while at UF he has zero experience or connections with recruting other positions... take him away from UF and Meyers coat tales and I doubt he would be able to maintain the same level of recruits.

This would be a major step backwards for USF.

you have this wrong -- go ask someone from Iowa State what they think. He resurrected that program from ultimate failure to respectability. Granted he had a tough year or two at the end-- but their fans suddenly got used to winning and going to bowl games and EXPECTATIONS grew to be unrealistic ---

gee, sound familiar?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

epic fail buddy.

might want to look at the product he put on the field in 07.  Selvie and his double digit sacks.

he is an easy choice to salvage recruiting.  maybe not the best overall choice though

I know I did not do my reading on McCarney... but now that I have I'm even less enthused as I was before. He failed at Iowa State and only has defensive lineman recruiting experience and how much of that is due to Urba Meyer and the Gator name and how much is it due to his name??

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

You guys are ridiculous, McCarney would be a GREAT hire. He had a huge influence on our 07 team and was fired up about being here when you talked to him. He obviously wanted to be a head coach or a coordinator again and it was short term here. Now, I'm pissed he basically left us for the same job at UF, but I think he would be a very good hire. My first choice was Tuberville, but thats obviously out.

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Fair enough,

but the thing is we don't need someone to resurrect our program. We need someone to win big. I just don't think McCarney is man for the job...

You guys are ridiculous, McCarney would be a GREAT hire. He had a huge influence on our 07 team and was fired up about being here when you talked to him. He obviously wanted to be a head coach or a coordinator again and it was short term here. Now, I'm pissed he basically left us for the same job at UF, but I think he would be a very good hire. My first choice was Tuberville, but thats obviously out.

look at it this way-- if he can bring what UF is doing right from a winning program perspective (even half of it)-- that time up there was worth it. Not to mention that the UF job paid as much as our DC position does.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Dixie,

comparing what someone did at Iowa State to what someone did at USF is nuts.

Get this...A guy named Jimmy Johnson did terrible at a school called Oklajoma State and was hired at this school Miami, then went on to be a succesful NFL coach.

Never won more than 8 games at his first gig though

Archived