• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oh no. This isn't good. (McCarney)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

that seems like a bigger reach than Notre Dame, frankly.

I always have wanted to see Mizzou join the Big Ten, slot Arkansas back to it's old conference buddies, and then fill in the SEC spot with someone from the ACC, perhaps Clemson. That could lead to USF jumping over to the ACC and UCF heading into the Big East. Not saying that is a better situation or anything, but it might serve everyones purposes.

I agree.  I definitely don't see Nebraska bolting, but if there's a Big XII team that the Big Ten would desire above all it would be Nebraska.  I think they'd be far more likely to get Mizzou or Iowa State.  

I think your scenario is the most likely, though right now TCU, Houston, Utah, BYU, and even Boise St could all be potential replacements if Mizzou bolted.  The big issue with Arkansas or another Texas team would be the balance between the northern division and the southern.  Too many Texas teams might not be viewed well and the team furthest north remaining (Oklahoma State) would likely get moved into the north division.  That might work as long as they play OU every year.  Though Arkansas is far enough north in the state that it could go in the northern division as well.

Not sure Clemson would bolt the ACC.  They are a charter ACC member.  They might go with Georgia Tech, a team that was in the SEC up until 1964.  The SEC was a 12 member conference up until the mid 1960s when both Georgia Tech and Tulane were in it.  

But I'd guess they'd take an ACC team and that the ACC would likely look at us in this situation.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand any panic related to McCarney.  There might be other guys I prefer, but if McCarney is named the HC then I'm cool with it and think he can improve the team.

He might keep Tresey here, though I'd expect him to possibly bring an OC in from Florida's staff.  Hard to say. 

I think there are quite a few good options out there.  I just don't want Canales or Franks given the gig.  That would be bad.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

that seems like a bigger reach than Notre Dame, frankly.

I always have wanted to see Mizzou join the Big Ten, slot Arkansas back to it's old conference buddies, and then fill in the SEC spot with someone from the ACC, perhaps Clemson. That could lead to USF jumping over to the ACC and UCF heading into the Big East. Not saying that is a better situation or anything, but it might serve everyones purposes.

I agree.  I definitely don't see Nebraska bolting, but if there's a Big XII team that the Big Ten would desire above all it would be Nebraska.  I think they'd be far more likely to get Mizzou or Iowa State.  

I think your scenario is the most likely, though right now TCU, Houston, Utah, BYU, and even Boise St could all be potential replacements if Mizzou bolted.  The big issue with Arkansas or another Texas team would be the balance between the northern division and the southern.  Too many Texas teams might not be viewed well and the team furthest north remaining (Oklahoma State) would likely get moved into the north division.  That might work as long as they play OU every year.  Though Arkansas is far enough north in the state that it could go in the northern division as well.

Not sure Clemson would bolt the ACC.  They are a charter ACC member.  They might go with Georgia Tech, a team that was in the SEC up until 1964.  The SEC was a 12 member conference up until the mid 1960s when both Georgia Tech and Tulane were in it.  

But I'd guess they'd take an ACC team and that the ACC would likely look at us in this situation.

yeah-- I didn't give which ACC team they would take too much thought. GaT would be a passable addition -- I guess there are many that have the qualities the smug SEC likes to assume they all share.

I was just trying to be sneaky get USF into an easier basketball conference (lol) or was it easier football conference. Anyway -- you have a point about it probably just being a two conference manuever with an addition of a FBS team like TCU or the like. Just wish the Big East could figure a way to get a few more football teams in there so we wouldn't struggle so hard to find opponents.

• Content Count:  4,738

you should consider that Mccarney would most likely keep our recruiting class intact.  He already recruits here.  Our team knows him.  Our coaches know him.  Our seniors can attest to him

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Some of you need to remember he was coaching at Iowa state.  IOWA STATE!  It is virtually impossible to win big at ISU.

12 years is a long time to stay somewhere where it is virtually impossible to win. 

Some of you need to remember he was coaching at Iowa state.  IOWA STATE!  It is virtually impossible to win big at ISU.

12 years is a long time to stay somewhere where it is virtually impossible to win. 

It's not impossible to win, but McCarney found it impossible to get over the hump and into the Big XII Championship Game.  I think he got Iowa State close to it twice.  But he didn't win a lot in his first six years.  He had chances to go elsewhere but he liked the Iowa State challenge.  The problem was that he raised expectations so that not getting to the Big XII title game got alums to put pressure on him.

That does sound familiar, but it is worth noting the great limitations at Iowa State.  USF is set up much better when compared to other teams in our conference in a state loaded with football talent.

• Content Count:  2

Coach Dan McCartney

He was fired as HC at Iowa State.  He still had one year on his contract at a good d one HC rate.  He came to coach DL at USF for minimal salary due to collecting his former contract and wanting to regain his status of being a fired HC.  Ask every player on the USF team in 2007, especially Selvie, if he made a difference in his knowledge and POSITIVE influence.  Again, don't ask only defensive players, ask all of them.  After the one year here, USF couldn't pay him what UF could.  He went to UF to coach DL and they won NC.  Oh yeah, Dunlap, a DL, won MVP award in the NC game. 

He has done what he wanted to do.  Redeem himself in the coaching ranks and he has.  He proved he could win at Iowa State which is very tough.  If you go by record you are silly.  He comes to USF for a year and produces an All-American.  He goes to UF, helps them win a NC, produces another All-American who is the MVP of the NC game.  Knows USF athletic program well.  Oh yeah, now has UF recruiting knowledge too.

My question is:  WHAT IS USF WAITING FOR?  Hire this guy right now.  It is a no-brainer.

All these other guys are out of USF's league in finances, ex. Davis, or have been here, Magee, but have really not done the big things yet to go from an O or D Coor to a d one HC.

HIRE THIS GUY!!!

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

had McCarney never come to USF and just went directly to UF from Iowa State, I bet that would change peoples minds about his value somewhat.

it's as if any coach that came from USF is not good enough for USF

Think of how good our DL was in 2007. If there is interest, then I think he'll be a serious candidate.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

had McCarney never come to USF and just went directly to UF from Iowa State, I bet that would change peoples minds about his value somewhat.

it's as if any coach that came from USF is not good enough for USF

Think of how good our DL was in 2007. If there is interest, then I think he'll be a serious candidate.

he'll get a shot at it-- no doubt.

I don't mind our AD doing some homework on all the possible candidates. Leavitt, like MANY other Big East coaches had his chances to scoot to other more known schools. But he was loyal. I think you will be hard pressed to find that quality for one simple reason-- Leavitt felt the program was his child and he was working on making it something special. Granted that wasn't exactly a smooth transition and who knows if he ever had what it took to win the Big East and beyond that--- but I sure was willing to give him a chance. THe next guy will have some big shoes to fill so they need to be someone who can handle that situation. McCarney fits the bill as I am sure there are many others who could as well. Had this been 1999, sure-- Canales would be a passable guy to give a shot to-- but not now.

We either need some coaching wunderkind or someone who has proven viability. ANything else is just biding our time until we find the right guy for the next 5-8 years. I want a coach who will be here and take ownership plus be able to handle the job itself.

• Content Count:  1,894

who would he be able to get as his OC, I would hate if Canales is able to keep his job with a new coach. This guy is the worst OC. Tressey and Mcarney are two defensive minded guys. We need to hire an OC as well then. Listen we need to clean house. We cant afford to keep any of CJL's people except Tressey.

Archived