• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jerrel Young on the record

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

USF sophomore safety Jerrell Young said Thursday afternoon that he was in the locker room during halftime of the Bulls' game with Louisville and only saw USF coach Jim Leavitt grab walk-on Joel Miller by the shoulder pads, and said he told the same to investigators looking into the incident.

"I speak for most of the team (except) a couple of bitter players: We want Coach Leavitt and that's what we're sticking by," Young said. "I don't think he did anything to cost him his job. I've been playing since Little League and grabbing shoulder pads, that's petty stuff. Call my mama, and she'll tell a coach to grab you like that. He didn't grab the throat or slap. It was nothing in that context."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/young-calls-incident-nothing-supports-leavitt.html#comments

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

January 07, 2010

Young calls incident 'nothing,' supports Leavitt

USF sophomore safety Jerrell Young said Thursday afternoon that he was in the locker room during halftime of the Bulls' game with Louisville and only saw USF coach Jim Leavitt grab walk-on Joel Miller by the shoulder pads, and said he told the same to investigators looking into the incident.

"I speak for most of the team (except) a couple of bitter players: We want Coach Leavitt and that's what we're sticking by," Young said. "I don't think he did anything to cost him his job. I've been playing since Little League and grabbing shoulder pads, that's petty stuff. Call my mama, and she'll tell a coach to grab you like that. He didn't grab the throat or slap. It was nothing in that context."

Asked why more players haven't spoken out in support of Leavitt, Young said the players were specifically told by athletic director Doug Woolard not to speak publicly about the incident.

"Woolard told us not to talk publicly about it, but I won't and I can't let my coach be scrutinized over something he didn't do," Young said. "It wouldn't be right. I take it upon me to say something because it's not true."

Young, who had posted statements in support of Leavitt on his Twitter.com page last month, said if Leavitt is fired as USF's coach, he would likely stop playing football for the Bulls, and said other top players have told him the same thing.

"I've talked to a bunch of players, and if Coach Leavitt leaves, there's a (good) chance I'm leaving, and there's a lot of players, as a matter of fact a lot of stars on the team saying they'd leave too," Young said. "There's a lot of recruits, like my little brother, (Bradenton quarterback) Brion Carnes. I would not let him come here if another coach came in here. I came here for him, and a lot of other players too."

A report from AOL sports site Fanhouse.com last month alleged that Leavitt grabbed Miller by the throat and struck him twice in the face -- the same site is now using the word "slapped" to describe the incident -- but Leavitt has strongly denied those charges, and Miller and his father have both publicly said the account was exaggerated.

Here is Young's verbatim description of what took place at halftime, describing Leavitt's interaction with Miller and cornerback Jerome Murphy:

"I was sitting across from Joel and down from Murph. What happened is Joel made a couple mistakes on special teams, he had a block in the back. Jerome Murphy got beat on a couple of passes. They both had their heads down, just out of the game. They weren't in the game, you could tell by their body language and their demeanor. Coach Leavitt, he tried to get both of them, telling them we were going to need them, telling Murphy 'You're a senior, you've got to step it up, we're going to need you this half,' telling him and Joel.

"Murph reacted to that, like 'OK, OK,' but Joel was kind of out of it. Coach got him by the shoulder pads, saying 'Joel, we need you.' It wasn't nothing, no choke or no slap or nothing like that. He grabbed him like a motivational talk. I would have seen it if it was a slap. I was right across. I talked to (investigators) and this is what I told them. That's the truth. There wasn't nothing like what Colby Erskin said."

Erskin was not in the locker room during the incident, but told Fanhouse and WDAE 620 AM on Wednesday that Miller had told him an account of things that matched Fanhouse's initial report.

Times writer Greg Auman can be reached at auman@sptimes.com and at (813) 226-3346.

Posted by Greg Auman at 05:52:53 PM on January 7, 2010 in Football | Permalink | Comments (0)

del.icio.us    Digg    Facebook    Newsvine    Reddit

January 06, 2010

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

there we go baby

• Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  2

I like this

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

This is a HUGE blow towards any action being taken against CJL.  When you're talking about a max exodus of players if you get rid of the coach, that's pretty strong stuff and would be a program killer if you called their bluff and they followed through.  Especially when it's going to drag top recruits with them like Carnes.  If you see the majority of folks in that room copy this statement, no way they get rid of CJL.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This is a HUGE blow towards any action being taken against CJL.  When you're talking about a max exodus of players if you get rid of the coach, that's pretty strong stuff and would be a program killer if you called their bluff and they followed through.  Especially when it's going to drag top recruits with them like Carnes.  If you see the majority of folks in that room copy this statement, no way they get rid of CJL.

It's not an idle threat, as Carnes just started talking about possibly taking some other official visits according to Rivals today.

• Content Count:  1,894

lol at stars on the team. We dont have stars.

Looks like we need to have the investigation finished. This doesnt mean anything IMO. He is clearly going to defend his coach. That is what they are tought, esp if your a player on the side of the fence with nothing to worry about. We will see.

If CJL is cleared he is still under a microscope, and he will have to produce or he will be gone in two or three anyway.

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like the team supports Leavitt, the few that have problems are injured off the team and sissy boys that can't take some

discipline.   For the sake of the program, USF needs to back Leavitt so the program can move on.

• Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

lol at stars on the team. We dont have stars.

Looks like we need to have the investigation finished. This doesnt mean anything IMO. He is clearly going to defend his coach. That is what they are tought, esp if your a player on the side of the fence with nothing to worry about. We will see.

If CJL is cleared he is still under a microscope, and he will have to produce or he will be gone in two or three anyway.

Really? well the NFL thinks JPP is a star and I would say we have a few others that other programs would love.But dont let your negative attitude cloud your thinking

• Content Count:  2,726

DONE!!!

Now all you leavitt haters can SHOVE IT!!!

I can't believe how delusional our fanbase has become.  It shows, when some posters on here would believe some stupid hearsay on the internet.  

GO BULLS!!!

Archived