• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

On Canales and Grothe's INT....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Tim Tebow could not make that throw... Colt McCoy could not make that throw... Joe Montana could not make that throw... Dan Marino could not make that throw..

Marino could had made it blind folded...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Tebow could not make that throw... Colt McCoy could not make that throw... Joe Montana could not make that throw... Dan Marino could not make that throw..

But the play was CALLED to throw it there.

What you are REALLY saying is that OC Canales should have called a different play.  Not that Matt could not make the play that was called.

It has NOTHING to do with Matt's ability.  He runs the play that was called.

then don't make the throw.

lay down and eat the f***ing football and preserve the opportunity for another shot at the endzone or at least a field goal. throwing the ball into the defender's numbers for an INT is NOT acceptable, regardless of who called the play or who is making that throw.

the OC can only CALL the play.  it is up to the personnel on the field--- PARTICULARLY the Quarterback--- to read, recognize and adjust to the defense once the ball is snapped.  period.

this same old "don't blame Grothe, it's Gregory/Chico/the receiver's/the OLine's/Baby Jesus' fault" is the same G***** cop out horse **** we've been hearing for 3 years, and during those three years this team has actually REGRESSED in ranking and national prestige. 

it's time for leadership on the field, and as a senior that means Matt can't live off the excuses of kool-aid drinking fans anymore.

BOTTOM LINE: regardless of who calls the plays, the ball is in Grothe's hands on the field and he needs to make better decisions than the one he made on that INT.

not all options on a play are going to be appealing or successful, but some are less bad than others... if the play was called to throw the ball to that spot, but that spot isn't opened, DON'T THROW THE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111  taking a sack and kicking the field goal is better than an INT.

Sorry. But since you were not in the pocket on that play, you could not assume Grothe saw the defender and said "**** it, I'm throwing it anyway..."  He saw what he thought was a wide open receiver for a touchdown.  I hope he makes that throw every time!

Marino could had made it blind folded...

When you get back from LA-LA land, let me know.

Marino would not have seen the safety any better than Grothe...

Oh, and I guarantee with a blindfold on, he would not have seen the ball, let alone the receiver or the safety ;) ;) ;)

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

When you get back from LA-LA land, let me know.

Marino would not have seen the safety any better than Grothe...

Oh, and I guarantee with a blindfold on, he would not have seen the ball, let alone the receiver or the safety ;) ;) ;)

I'll be in la-la land until at least Tuesday  :drinkup

Marino (regardless of age) would had read the defense and if its young Marino, ran it in for 6...or if its old Marino would had thrown the ball away or to another open receiver... Not coming down on Grothe, he did what he was told to do... you just can't compare a football god to a college qb.

Like comparing the McRib to a Alabama Big Boys BBQ  ;)

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

good gosh I have never seen or read on this thread from more people that have never played this game in organized fashion in all my life.  To make matters worse these fans are critical. ::)

Watch the play instead of relying on your beer filled memories...if you've got a DVR player or watched it again tonight you can see it was a bang-bang play...you take the snap and you throw.  PERIOD.  If Grothe tries to 'survey' the field, or look off the safety then the slant is over.  Have any of you even been involved in a slant play let alone thrown or caught one?  It is a designed set play where the QB takes the snap then makes the throw.  The QB relies on the coordinator up above who sees a tendency in the defense and tries to exploit it.  Grothe did not drop back and make a decision to go to the slant he didn't have time.

It is personal too if you're picking apart a play that was an INT, that was so blatantly obvious to be an ill-advised play call, and then call out the QB as if it was a fault of his.  The plain fact is that play should not have been called in that situation.  Anyone with some football acumen who saw it, who watched the replay knew it, and when Canales said it then it proved the point.

What do you think he told Matt behind closed doors?  'Hey Matt I know I called a design slant and it is a quick hitter that is specifically designed for you to throw the ball immediately, but you needed to float back and ignore my boneheaded call, let the slant die and then run around like a mad man trying to make things happen'.  That's ridiculous, those plays are plays that are on the coordinator in the booth.  He took a risk the safety would bite in on the run and he didn't.  Matt threw it and the guy floated over and cut in front of the receiver.

• Content Count:  742

It is game one against a AA school. USF have never shown their hand ever in these early games. It is not worth worrying about yet. If you want to see 63 points turn on that school in Gainesville.

• Content Count:  98

It is personal too if you're picking apart a play that was an INT, that was so blatantly obvious to be an ill-advised play call, and then call out the QB as if it was a fault of his.  The plain fact is that play should not have been called in that situation.  Anyone with some football acumen who saw it, who watched the replay knew it, and when Canales said it then it proved the point.

What do you think he told Matt behind closed doors?  'Hey Matt I know I called a design slant and it is a quick hitter that is specifically designed for you to throw the ball immediately, but you needed to float back and ignore my boneheaded call, let the slant die and then run around like a mad man trying to make things happen'.   That's ridiculous, those plays are plays that are on the coordinator in the booth.  He took a risk the safety would bite in on the run and he didn't.  Matt threw it and the guy floated over and cut in front of the receiver.

You can't absolve Matt of all the blame unless you're ready to say that play would NEVER work. If that's the case, it shouldn't be in the playbook. AT ALL.

On those kinds of plays, you usually have 1 or 2 defensive keys that you are supposed to look for. If they both are there, you throw it. If not, you sling it out the back of the end zone. As you said, there's no time to think or look for other receivers (if there even are any in the play). Maybe Matt saw what he was supposed to check and the guy made a great play. Maybe Matt got too excited and missed a key. Who knows?

Chico got aggressive and Matt was amped to make a play. Things happen and turnovers are part of the game. If nothing else, Chico protected his guy (instead of throwing him under the bus like Gregory). It's good to see a trusting public relationship between them and hopefully they both learned from it. Early season games are where we should be ironing out kinks like this, not against FSU or a Big East rival. I'm the biggest BJ fan you'll meet, but Matt is a savvy vet who has taken us places we didn't even think possible and deserves all the rope he needs this season.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

good gosh I have never seen or read on this thread from more people that have never played this game in organized fashion in all my life.  To make matters worse these fans are critical. ::)

Watch the play instead of relying on your beer filled memories...if you've got a DVR player or watched it again tonight you can see it was a bang-bang play...you take the snap and you throw.  PERIOD.  If Grothe tries to 'survey' the field, or look off the safety then the slant is over.  Have any of you even been involved in a slant play let alone thrown or caught one?  It is a designed set play where the QB takes the snap then makes the throw.  The QB relies on the coordinator up above who sees a tendency in the defense and tries to exploit it.  Grothe did not drop back and make a decision to go to the slant he didn't have time.

What do you think he told Matt behind closed doors?  'Hey Matt I know I called a design slant and it is a quick hitter that is specifically designed for you to throw the ball immediately, but you needed to float back and ignore my boneheaded call, let the slant die and then run around like a mad man trying to make things happen'.   That's ridiculous, those plays are plays that are on the coordinator in the booth.  He took a risk the safety would bite in on the run and he didn't.  Matt threw it and the guy floated over and cut in front of the receiver.

Always on the attack when you disagree with someone, grow up.  Your prolly the best poster on the USF boards you post on except for when you go into Ad hominem mode.    

I just rewatched this play on the DVR about 6 times. Matt fakes, sets his feet and looks and then throws.  It is not just a set and throw no matter what type of read he makes.  You are over exaggerating the quickness of the set and release.  Yes i have seen slants in that situation many times and the QB usually puts some zip on the ball if they are dead set on throwing that route in the manner you make it out to be.  Bad throw with no read = the ball dead in the defenders numbers.  Also i you look and see a player taking the away the exact route you are throwing you don't have to let go of the football and if you do you should prolly throw the ball low and hard giving your guy the best shot at it or at least make the player earn the INT rather than putting the ball right in his numbers.  I know Chico blames himself but Matt certainly could have made a much better throw there.  Just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't mean they have malicious intent or an some kind of grudge against Matt.  There was a break down in execution and play calling there as there are on most turnovers.......  

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Someone please tell me how Aston Samuels fumble wasn't his fault.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

Hopefully by now YOU'VE had time to check the DVR and see just how wrong this assessment was.. It was neither a bang bang play nor a slant. MG dropped back a couple of steps, thought the wr, running a post route, had cleared coverage and tossed the ball in there. You could just tell from the way he threw it, not much zip on the ball, that he thought Bogans was wide open. He just didn't see the linebacker. It happens ... ALL qb's have made that mistake at more than point in their career... i imagine even beastie's God's gift to football, BJ, will make that mistake sometime in his career, also.   ;)

Archived