• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

On Canales and Grothe's INT....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

In an interview on scout Canales took the INT from Matt on him.  He said exactly what I told others that he got to aggressive, which he said was his nature (which should excite many bulls fans after two years of conservative Gregory).  He said he called that play, and it was designed to go there, the LB didn't bite on the fake, and that Bogans was open for a split second Matt threw it and Matt just didn't see the LB pull back to make the play.  Canales said it was on him because he got to aggressive there possibly and it was a good play by the LB.  He also said it was probably to short of a field to call that play.

Now anyone that wants to call out Matt, then that's a personal issue you have with him...but if that's all you can find fault with then things aren't so bad.

BTW, for all the geniuses that said Canales would be on the sidelines and I told you that such a thing was nuts and you were nuts for suggesting it...Canales was in the booth, and said he loved it up there again seeing the whole field, and plays developing, and getting a better read of the flow of the game and play calling.  He is an OC and a permanent fixture in the booth.  He's good up there, and I love his aggressive style, and using the running backs in the passing game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

That is what Canales supposed to do as an Offensive Coordinator.  He is not supposed to throw his players under the bus like the former USF O-Coordinator.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Call me crazy, but the offensive calls last night reminded me of an ex-coordinator that rhymes with "Rod Smith".  Lots of 5 wide formations, bubble screens, QB draws, and an over aggressive play call from the two yard line.  Had we run a reverse or some other trick play I would have bet my life savings Rod Smith was calling the game.

This is not meant as a knock on Canales.  I liked the way he mixed it up last night.  I think we need to get back to a more traditional spread offense and that seems to be what Chico is trying to do.  Gregory's version of the spread was a joke.  

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

So do you think Canales took Grothe behind closed doors and apologized?

Coaching 101:  Support the players in public and ***** them out in private.

This is not meant as a knock on Canales.  I liked the way he mixed it up last night.  I think we need to get back to a more traditional spread offense and that seems to be what Chico is trying to do.  Gregory's version of the spread was a joke.  

I liked the man's play calling.  We did not run a lot of plays or formations, but we saw great plays.  

Screens (been two years), slants (don't remember seeing those in like forever), flares to backs out of the backfield, multiple routes by receivers.  All in the limited playbook that we saw.  Will be great to see the unabridged version vs. FSU.

So do you think Canales took Grothe behind closed doors and apologized?

Coaching 101:  Support the players in public and ***** them out in private.

Exactly. Not the way the OC that wasn't used to do it.

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

Now anyone that wants to call out Matt, then that's a personal issue you have with him...

uhh, what makes it a "personal issue" with him?

it is possible to critique his decision-making on the football field without having any "personal issue" whatsoever.

nobody is assaulting Matt Grothe's personal character over that INT, merely his decision making on the field, and there is nothing "personal" about that.

so let's not get melodramatic and try to blackmail people out of criticizing our QB by accusing them of having "personal issues."

but if that's all you can find fault with then things aren't so bad.

we were playing Wofford. 

throwing an INT in the endzone may not be "so bad" against Wofford, but a play like that could kill our chances against teams like FSU, Miami, WVU, Cinci, etc.

furthermore, Matt Grothe making the same mistakes he's made since he was a freshman, and continuing his bad habit of throwing an INT for every TD he throws is a major concern for this season, and there is no reason it should have happened against Wofford.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Others picked up on it.  Canales is taking the heat in public but betcha he's chastising Grothe privately about not picking up on the LB.

Still, better handled than in the past and I like the mix of plays.  Definitely more aggressive with a lot more variety.  Far harder to tell what's coming, unlike with Gregory where it was patently obvious.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Others picked up on it.  Canales is taking the heat in public but betcha he's chastising Grothe privately about not picking up on the LB.

To me, that goes back to the short field. If Grothe goes through every defender and where they are, the route is over before he throws and he is stuck with the ball. It was a bad throw, not a good play call, and all around ugly. Some of the blame has to go to Chico though, and he knows it. That is a play, where if you run it in that short of a field, you have to blindly assume that the LB bit on the fake, if he doesn't, you look stupid.

It's similar to when a receiver runs the wrong route and QB throws directly to a safety, QB SHOULD read it, but it is easy to miss that read also.

To me, that goes back to the short field. If Grothe goes through every defender and where they are, the route is over before he throws and he is stuck with the ball. It was a bad throw, not a good play call, and all around ugly. Some of the blame has to go to Chico though, and he knows it. That is a play, where if you run it in that short of a field, you have to blindly assume that the LB bit on the fake, if he doesn't, you look stupid.

It's similar to when a receiver runs the wrong route and QB throws directly to a safety, QB SHOULD read it, but it is easy to miss that read also.

That was the safety that intercepted it. 

Are you saying it was a one man route? Matt had someone wide open to his right flat.  That person could have walked into the end zone

Archived