• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

On Canales and Grothe's INT....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Watch the play instead of relying on your beer filled memories...if you've got a DVR player or watched it again tonight you can see it was a bang-bang play...you take the snap and you throw.  PERIOD.  If Grothe tries to 'survey' the field, or look off the safety then the slant is over.  Have any of you even been involved in a slant play let alone thrown or caught one?  It is a designed set play where the QB takes the snap then makes the throw.  The QB relies on the coordinator up above who sees a tendency in the defense and tries to exploit it.  Grothe did not drop back and make a decision to go to the slant he didn't have time.

Hopefully by now YOU'VE had time to check the DVR and see just how wrong this assessment was.. It was neither a bang bang play nor a slant. MG dropped back a couple of steps, thought the wr, running a post route, had cleared coverage and tossed the ball in there. You could just tell from the way he threw it, not much zip on the ball, that he thought Bogans was wide open. He just didn't see the linebacker. It happens ... ALL qb's have made that mistake at more than point in their career... i imagine even beastie's God's gift to football, BJ, will make that mistake sometime in his career, also.   ;)

triple b...how dare you call out the wizard of oz?

>:D

seriously....bullpride or s bien or whoever you want to be.....

relax...grothe made a bad pass.  threw an INT..

not the end of the world.  i agree that it was a stupid play call to begin with but grothe is still the one with the ball in his hands and you cant use grothe's experience in one arguement and then ignore it in another.

come on. i doubt wofford's def coord is a mastermind who will be the next new england patriots DC.

HEY CHICO....next time we  have 1st and goal from the 2...just give it to Richard Kelly until he scores or the other team has the ball. 

I like our chances either way.  but i never want 1st and goal from the 2 to end with the other team having the ball on the 20 EVER again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Watch the play instead of relying on your beer filled memories...if you've got a DVR player or watched it again tonight you can see it was a bang-bang play...you take the snap and you throw.  PERIOD.  If Grothe tries to 'survey' the field, or look off the safety then the slant is over.  Have any of you even been involved in a slant play let alone thrown or caught one?  It is a designed set play where the QB takes the snap then makes the throw.  The QB relies on the coordinator up above who sees a tendency in the defense and tries to exploit it.  Grothe did not drop back and make a decision to go to the slant he didn't have time.

Hopefully by now YOU'VE had time to check the DVR and see just how wrong this assessment was.. It was neither a bang bang play nor a slant. MG dropped back a couple of steps, thought the wr, running a post route, had cleared coverage and tossed the ball in there. You could just tell from the way he threw it, not much zip on the ball, that he thought Bogans was wide open. He just didn't see the linebacker. It happens ... ALL qb's have made that mistake at more than point in their career... i imagine even beastie's God's gift to football, BJ, will make that mistake sometime in his career, also.   ;)

triple b...how dare you call out the wizard of oz?

>:D

seriously....bullpride or s bien or whoever you want to be.....

relax...grothe made a bad pass.  threw an INT..

not the end of the world.  i agree that it was a stupid play call to begin with but grothe is still the one with the ball in his hands and you cant use grothe's experience in one arguement and then ignore it in another.

come on. i doubt wofford's def coord is a mastermind who will be the next new england patriots DC.

HEY CHICO....next time we  have 1st and goal from the 2...just give it to Richard Kelly until he scores or the other team has the ball. 

I like our chances either way.  but i never want 1st and goal from the 2 to end with the other team having the ball on the 20 EVER again.

Amen. 

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Triple...A post? from the 2? Umm, thats a slant there buddy. I live in the hell that is Orlando, so, no ESPN 360, or BH (well, they have it, but they are showing/replaying UCiF), so I haven't gotten to re-watch it. I personally am over it. From what I remember in live action, it was more of a crossing pattern than a slant, there were maybe 2 receivers, and, there wasn't enough room on the field to run that play. MG didn't see the safety/LB/whoever ended up with the ball, what ever, it's over.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

Triple...A post? from the 2? Umm, thats a slant there buddy. I live in the hell that is Orlando, so, no ESPN 360, or BH (well, they have it, but they are showing/replaying UCiF), so I haven't gotten to re-watch it. I personally am over it. From what I remember in live action, it was more of a crossing pattern than a slant, there were maybe 2 receivers, and, there wasn't enough room on the field to run that play. MG didn't see the safety/LB/whoever ended up with the ball, what ever, it's over.

Maybe I don't know what a slant is. I thought it was if a wr is lined up on the right, at the snap he immediately takes off, at an angle, to his left. Bogan did not do that. Maybe a crossing pattern would better describe it, although there was nobody to cross with. He went a little out to the right and then cut left, to the post ...  ;)

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I put this one mostly on Canales. Maybe Grothe got suckered by the LB, or maybe he just blew it, but still. You should never call a dropback pass from the 2-yard line. Get in a big formation, get some DBs off the field, and run the ball or go play-action. Don't drop back to throw. The receivers don't have enough room to get open and the throwing windows are really small. You can't even really run a fade pattern that close to the end zone. (Personally I hate fade patterns and wouldn't run them anywhere.)

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

Someone please tell me how Aston Samuels fumble wasn't his fault.

roflmao.

thank you to Bull Dozer, Bigums, Triple B and Matt for expressing my exact sentiments and pwning Bullpride.

the ball left Grothe's hands. he is not a remote controlled QB. no matter how much the Grothe-groupies want to make excuses, the kid bears his share of the blame for that INT.

scapegoating Chico this early in the season is NOT a good thing.

the fact that you people even need to make excuses for Grothe against a 1AA opener is NOT a good thing.

Someone please tell me how Aston Samuels fumble wasn't his fault.

roflmao.

thank you to Bull Dozer, Bigums, Triple B and Matt for expressing my exact sentiments and pwning Bullpride.

the ball left Grothe's hands. he is not a remote controlled QB. no matter how much the Grothe-groupies want to make excuses, the kid bears his share of the blame for that INT.

scapegoating Chico this early in the season is NOT a good thing.

the fact that you people even need to make excuses for Grothe against a 1AA opener is NOT a good thing.

SHARE of the blame. Yes.  My guess is despite the call, if he SAW the WR was covered, then he should not have thrown it.

With 11 defenders, 10 other offensive members, and a couple of officials on the field - it is possible Grothe didn't see the safety right?  I mean, you have to concede that.

So, if the QB doesn't SEE the WR is covered, how is he supposed to do something else?

Canales took some of the blame for the call.  That SHOULD be enough for people.

Finally, I don't care if Grothe calls 100 INTs, as long as USF wins the game.  A win is a win is a win.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we played woolford

caNT GET EXCITED

U GUYS SAY SAME THING AFTERwe dominate a 1aaa opponent

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Some folks really need to take a chill pill...

I looked at my pics from the game, and I actually caught this one just after the safety caught it -- you can see there were no other receivers to Grothe's right... looks like a bad formation out of which to call a pass play.  At least FSU was passing from the two, but had 4 or 5 WRs.

Wofford_Img.sized.jpg

Click here for a larger image

Archived