• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt: Daniels will play this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

all leavitt said is that daniels will play.  he didn say that he will start over grothe or grothe is on a short leash.

its important that daniels gets some meaningful game time experiences because he will be our guy going into 2010.

similar to teabow and chris leak.  it happens all over the country.  i think people are looking too far into this

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

all leavitt said is that daniels will play.  he didn say that he will start over grothe or grothe is on a short leash.

its important that daniels gets some meaningful game time experiences because he will be our guy going into 2010.

similar to teabow and chris leak.  it happens all over the country.  i think people are looking too far into this

people are looking far into it because leavitt said himself that BJ is pushing for the starting job (even tho we know he won't get it)

• Content Count:  172

Grothe is NOT going to get pulled. Where do you people get this stuff?

In my opinion, MGs worst game was probably against Cincy in 2007. I also know that in that game, we had receivers hurt, and there were some bad routes run. In the end, he threw a great pass that would have won the game, but it was dropped.

Point: even on a bad day, MG generally gives us the best chance to win. Even last year, TD pass to take the lead against Pitt. Nice drive to take the lead against UL last year as well. In about 16 months, I really hope that we are still so high on Daniels, I have a serious fear that we are going to realize that MG was horribly under appreciated.

Really? MG blew a couple of games, remeber last year against WVU? How about that sun bowl? If BJ is better i say good bye to MG.

• Content Count:  1,757

Sounds awesome, I can see the two of them in the backfield, making defenses guess which one gets the snap and maybe they will pass out of the formation

• Content Count:  4,016

Say good bye to Grothe?  He's on a tighter leash?  Please stop with all the funny posts.  BJ Daniels will play to give him experience, to give us new looks, and mix things up.  For us to have a great season Grothe needs to play and play a ton.  There is no red-shirt freshman on this team capable of replacing Grothe right now.  Adding in BJ for a few series each game will keep teams honest, and force them to respect his legs. 

You'll be glad he gets the minutes next year when he won't be a green rs-soph.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

In my opinion, MGs worst game was probably against Cincy in 2007. I also know that in that game, we had receivers hurt, and there were some bad routes run. In the end, he threw a great pass that would have won the game, but it was dropped.

Point: even on a bad day, MG generally gives us the best chance to win. Even last year, TD pass to take the lead against Pitt. Nice drive to take the lead against UL last year as well. In about 16 months, I really hope that we are still so high on Daniels, I have a serious fear that we are going to realize that MG was horribly under appreciated.

Grothe blew the Sun Bowl, what game were you watching?  Jonathon Stewart and their 4th string freshman QB destroyed our defense

Really? MG blew a couple of games, remeber last year against WVU? How about that sun bowl? If BJ is better i say good bye to MG.

depending on game circumstances i hope BJ is played to rest grothe and keep him fresh for important series.

matt grothe is one of the finest players to wear a bulls jersey and arguably the face of the team. its difficult and course counter-intuitive to think of grothe as a second stringer... leavitt is obviously keeping competition open and the best man will win.

• Content Count:  1,777

I agree that Grothe will not get pulled. Last year Grothe gave the team the best chance to win but he also missed several reads and made some bad passes that cost the team games. Just go back and watch the film. But then again there were some questionable plays called.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

my suspicion is that BJ is a better athlete, but Grothe has the experience.

BJ is probably faster, has a bigger arm and has more natural tools, but he has yet to demonstrate that he can win a game of football.

Grothe can and has single-handedly won games.  he's also lost some for us.  this is a testament to how important he's been for this team the past 3 years.

anyways, i'm not sure i'd want a game riding on a RS freshman over a 4 year starting senior when there are 50,000+ fans in the stands in New Jersey or Pittsburgh or Tallahassee...

but if BJ somehow turns out to be a special talent with instincts that can outperform a 5th year senior then put him in.  the chances of that happening are rare in sports, however.

i do like the idea of drawing up some special plays or drives in which both Grothe and BJ are utilized... throw in Landi on some trick plays and our trio of exceprtionally athletic QBs could be impressive.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

i do like the idea of drawing up some special plays or drives in which both Grothe and BJ are utilized... throw in Landi on some trick plays and our trio of exceprtionally athletic QBs could be impressive.

Don't forget Virgin at TE. He too can be utilized on some trick plays. I just hope we save a few of them to use against Rutgers and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Archived