• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt: Daniels will play this year

i do like the idea of drawing up some special plays or drives in which both Grothe and BJ are utilized... throw in Landi on some trick plays and our trio of exceprtionally athletic QBs could be impressive.

Don't forget Virgin at TE. He too can be utilized on some trick plays. I just hope we save a few of them to use against Rutgers and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Don't forget Theo Wilson at WR... remember, he threw a pass to Matt Grothe in the St Petersburg Bowl... Wilson played QB in Junior College.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

OK, just going from memory here...

RU 2007 - they blitzed all day and our OC never changed his play calling, mix in two busted fake kicks, and MG still threw a beauty to Jackson at the end to keep hope alive, but there was a PI called on Amarri. Oh, and the illegal forward pass--------Not MGs fault

Cincy 2007 - As I said, horrible game for Grothe, but he did hit Mitchell in the hands for the win at the end, so, you decide

UConn 2007 - Naked Bootleg, if I recall, C Hill also dropped a TD right before that (actually, he may have had a holding call 5 miles from the play) ----------again, MG did enough to win

Sun Bowl - Ummm yeah, Stewart made our defense look like clowns, and if you remember, MG pulled us close at half, then coming out, he hit TJ on a nice pass and Johnson fumbled, that was the end of the game

Pitt 2008 - Kick-off out of bounds, and poor, poor defense (secondary)

RU 2008 - I think this was a team effort

UL 2008 - again, we had a lead late and the defense couldn't hold, Grothe wasn't great, but I have to put some blame on the defense, seems like Roberts got beat several times in this one too

Cincy 2008 - I don't remember this one too well, Grothe had some picks, if I recall, one was off of Hill's hands, you may make an argument that this one was on MG

WVU 2008 - Ugly for both teams, cold weather, still, had a chance to win at the end.

So, in the last 2 years, I would say the 2 Cincy games, and the WVU game last year are the only ones you can pin on MG. And in 2007, he redeemed himself in my book.

Please explain the perception that he has cost us all 9 games that we have lost over the last two years? It seems like that is what a large group of folks on here believe.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

What I have said and will continue to say is 42 interceptions over the last 3 years is TOO much. It is too much by about 20 to 25. Interpret that as you wish.

Some of the 42 interceptions were end-of-half situations or places where it went through the WR's hands.

I don't recall a single game where MG was driving to win and through an INT that sealed a loss...

You're right, 42 interceptions is too many... but none of them cost us a game.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I love Grothe,

BUT if he hadn't throw a pick to Cincy that got returned for a TD, we would've won the game. Same deal with Uconn too.

I'm very interested to see what Daniels can do too in the 2nd hald of these first 3 games.  I really doubt he'll get much playing time after that unless we dominate some teams.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I'm sure B.J. is trying to beat out Matt and is hoping he's the starter."

That surprised me, I know there is n't a chance, but still

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Some of the 42 interceptions were end-of-half situations or places where it went through the WR's hands.

sure.  SOME.  but not all 42.  even if HALF of the picks weren't Grothe's fault, 21 picks would still be on the high end for a QB with only 40-sum TDs.

I don't recall a single game where MG was driving to win and through an INT that sealed a loss...

Rutgers 2007.  granted it was a long heave after a penalty, but that jump ball sealed the game.

You're right, 42 interceptions is too many... but none of them cost us a game.

i don't see how you can say this.

in the most simple terms Grothe's picks may not have come on game-ending drives where the game was on the line, but a game is FOUR QUARTERS.

games in which Grothe throws picks early [e.g. UConn 2007's pick six in the first half] puts the team in a hole, forcing us to play from behind which then puts us in desperate situations that change how we play the game...

so saying Grothe's picks haven't cost us a game is wholly inaccurate. many of Grothe's picks have put us in situations that have made it harder for us to win and easier for the other team to win, and when it all boils down that has certainly cost us a few games.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Last year at some point GA put up a stat about our record when Matt throws a pick. It was something like 9-14. That won-loss can't be justified.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Last year at some point GA put up a stat about our record when Matt throws a pick. It was something like 9-14. That won-loss can't be justified.

...and we're 1-0 when Delbert missed 4 FGs in a game.

One player does not usually have a chance to win or lose a game with one play. Maybe 5 of those 23 games really came down to MG throwing a pick.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

just a little statistical research...

here are Grothe's INT statistics since taking the helm in 2006:

wins - 16 picks

losses - 26 picks

one can make an argument, supported by statistical data, that an increased rate of interceptions significantly increases the likelihood of losing.

in other words, Grothe's picks have cost us games.

Archived