• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt: Daniels will play this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

You also have to remember that picks come in games we lose, because we are playing from behind due to other mistakes from other units, thus making MG force the ball and have to take bigger chances. Obviously we would all like to see the turnovers come down

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

BJ Daniels is twice the QB that MG ever was and will outperform him in every aspect of the game.  The sad part is that he will never be as revered or have the excuses made for him the way MG has over the past 3 seasons and this will have nothing to do with football.   

• Content Count:  4,016

Orlando Bull, nice break-out of Grothe's games.  I always hate guys that single out a player in football.  Football is the consummate team game.  No one can win on an individual basis, but I do realize the QB leads the charge and so he takes the brunt of things.

However, Orlando illustrated it quite nicely that Grothe has never lost us  a game, not truly.  The only real game where I remember him just completely not performing and looking lost was Cincinnati 2006.  Remember, for all of you guys criticizing the kid he has also been our leading rusher for three straight years too.  Some of the INT's come from fatigue late in the game, or late in the first half.  Like last year against UL, Cinci, and Pitt throwing INT's to end the first half.  All three were foolish calls by Gregory, he knew that Grothe was tired, and needed to tapper down the aggressiveness, and insure the points...employ some mis-direction, some range passes and stuff.  Gregory really hurt Grothe the past two years, just completely relying on is legs, and arms and then simply blaming him for faults, or INT's, when in fact many of the situations, and passes that Grothe threw INT's on were ill-advised circumstances to put him in like the end of half INT's above, or when Matt was under extreme duress, we're trailing in the game, it's the 3rd quarter, and Gregory has effectively thrown his arms up and said 'it's all yours Matt'....he is trying to make stuff happen.

On many occasions, in games we've won or lost, Grothe has kept us in those games with his legs and arm.  RU in 2007, maybe a few of you forget his long scrambles, his nice passing, in the face of intense blitzing...and as Orlando we were still a PI call from driving for the winning score.  Uconn 2007, he did drive us inside the 5 on three occasions and we walked away with 3 pts...that means something because i always say driving between the 20's is on the players and athletes (i.e. even a marginal coordinator can call good plays with good athletes), but driving inside the 20's, and particularly inside the 5 is on the coordinator...defenses compact, they get more aggressive, so coordinators have to be thinkers.  And yet inspite of a  bad coordinator call, a TD called back on a phantom hold by Ced Hill, and Ced Hill dropping a TD that hit his hands and chest by Grothe....

Orlando spelled it out well, and Grothe is a kid that is dependable, smart, and a winner.  Personally I believe his game would improve from an INT standpoint if our team could develop more of a running game (with running backs), a better intermediate passing game, and employ more mis-direction stuff.  All stuff that wasn't done under the Gregory era.   Do those things well then that lowers the fatigue on Matt, gives him more options  for positive yards, and the mis-direction doesn't allow the defense to sit on things and wait for plays like they did the past two years with Gregory's offense.

• Content Count:  4,016

BJ Daniels is twice the QB that MG ever was and will outperform him in every aspect of the game.  The sad part is that he will never be as revered or have the excuses made for him the way MG has over the past 3 seasons and this will have nothing to do with football.   

haha, whatever man.  This could be the biggest bunch of ignorant drivel I've ead in a while.  You do know that every day Matt is mentoring and tutoring Daniels? :D  You do know that during video sessions often BJ is absolutely lost and grothe explains the oppositions defenses and tendencies... :D

IF BJ becomes what you say he will become, and you are talking out of your arse....then it will be partially because of Matt Grothe.  So remember that before being an absolute punk and disrespecting the kid.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Orlando Bull, nice break-out of Grothe's games.  I always hate guys that single out a player in football.  Football is the consummate team game.  No one can win on an individual basis, but I do realize the QB leads the charge and so he takes the brunt of things.

However, Orlando illustrated it quite nicely that Grothe has never lost us  a game, not truly.  The only real game where I remember him just completely not performing and looking lost was Cincinnati 2006.  Remember, for all of you guys criticizing the kid he has also been our leading rusher for three straight years too.  Some of the INT's come from fatigue late in the game, or late in the first half.  Like last year against UL, Cinci, and Pitt throwing INT's to end the first half.  All three were foolish calls by Gregory, he knew that Grothe was tired, and needed to tapper down the aggressiveness, and insure the points...employ some mis-direction, some range passes and stuff.  Gregory really hurt Grothe the past two years, just completely relying on is legs, and arms and then simply blaming him for faults, or INT's, when in fact many of the situations, and passes that Grothe threw INT's on were ill-advised circumstances to put him in like the end of half INT's above, or when Matt was under extreme duress, we're trailing in the game, it's the 3rd quarter, and Gregory has effectively thrown his arms up and said 'it's all yours Matt'....he is trying to make stuff happen.

On many occasions, in games we've won or lost, Grothe has kept us in those games with his legs and arm.  RU in 2007, maybe a few of you forget his long scrambles, his nice passing, in the face of intense blitzing...and as Orlando we were still a PI call from driving for the winning score.  Uconn 2007, he did drive us inside the 5 on three occasions and we walked away with 3 pts...that means something because i always say driving between the 20's is on the players and athletes (i.e. even a marginal coordinator can call good plays with good athletes), but driving inside the 20's, and particularly inside the 5 is on the coordinator...defenses compact, they get more aggressive, so coordinators have to be thinkers.  And yet inspite of a  bad coordinator call, a TD called back on a phantom hold by Ced Hill, and Ced Hill dropping a TD that hit his hands and chest by Grothe....

Orlando spelled it out well, and Grothe is a kid that is dependable, smart, and a winner.  Personally I believe his game would improve from an INT standpoint if our team could develop more of a running game (with running backs), a better intermediate passing game, and employ more mis-direction stuff.  All stuff that wasn't done under the Gregory era.   Do those things well then that lowers the fatigue on Matt, gives him more options  for positive yards, and the mis-direction doesn't allow the defense to sit on things and wait for plays like they did the past two years with Gregory's offense.

Uh yeh...In your first paragraph you state football is the ultimate team game.  In your last paragraph you blast the rest of the team for MG's shortcomings.  Forgive me if I take your criticism and namecalling with a grain of salt.  You proved my point beautifully. 

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Personally I believe his game would improve from an INT standpoint if our team could develop more of a running game (with running backs), a better intermediate passing game, and employ more mis-direction stuff.  

his game would also improve from an INT standpoint if he had a stronger arm, was better at leading his receivers and hitting them in the numbers instead of throwing behind them or at their knees, knew when to throw the ball away or take a sack instead of throwing an ill-advised pass, etc...

i'm not coming down hard on Grothe.  i like the kid.  he's tough and has worked magic and miracles at points in his tenure.  we've won 26 games with him at the helm [lost 13] and many of our biggest wins and our only bowl wins have come behind his arm [and legs].

but the level of apologetics and excuses for Matt on this forum just gets ridiculous sometimes.

the kid has thrown 42 interceptions. only 2 less than his total TD count.

you can throw everyone under the bus--- from the receivers [TJ is in the league!] to the OLine to the old standby scapegoat Greg Gregory [and yes they all played their part]--- but to refuse to acknowledge Grothe's shortcomings and limitations and claim that his mistakes have never cost us games is just downright ridiculous.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-7-53/Leavitt--Daniels-will-play-this-year.html

It may have been smoke but it sounded like more than the second half of the first 3 games.... Maybe some trickery this season?

doesnt sound like grothe is tearing it up

too bad

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Personally I believe his game would improve from an INT standpoint if our team could develop more of a running game (with running backs), a better intermediate passing game, and employ more mis-direction stuff.  

his game would also improve from an INT standpoint if he had a stronger arm, was better at leading his receivers and hitting them in the numbers instead of throwing behind them or at their knees, knew when to throw the ball away or take a sack instead of throwing an ill-advised pass, etc...

i'm not coming down hard on Grothe.  i like the kid.  he's tough and has worked magic and miracles at points in his tenure.  we've won 26 games with him at the helm [lost 13] and many of our biggest wins and our only bowl wins have come behind his arm [and legs].

but the level of apologetics and excuses for Matt on this forum just gets ridiculous sometimes.

the kid has thrown 42 interceptions. only 2 less than his total TD count.

you can throw everyone under the bus--- from the receivers [TJ is in the league!] to the OLine to the old standby scapegoat Greg Gregory [and yes they all played their part]--- but to refuse to acknowledge Grothe's shortcomings and limitations and claim that his mistakes have never cost us games is just downright ridiculous.

Pride referred to 3 things that the coaching staff could do to help Grothe reduce his interceptions, the things you listed are physical properties that Matt can't change.  He has to make better decisions, but the staff has to put him in a position to do that.  Rutgers in 07 they kept blitzing off the edge, we never schemed to stop the blitz.  We never scheme to attack the edge, or deep.  How many quarterbacks will be succesful when the entire offensive gameplan is between the hashes and within 15 yards of the LOS?  Very few, and certainly not one with the limitations you listed.

Archived