• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should USF ban cars for incoming freshmen?

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Another thing USF needs to do is issue restricted parking tags if you live in the dorms across the street near Breckinridge, etc. There are 3 Bull Runners that go around that loop every 10-15 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon, thus there should be no need for those people to drive a few hundred feet to take up a parking space on campus...

Also if you live in a dorm you should not be allowed to move your car, your already on campus and should take the runner or just walk...

Every day when I come to USF I see people leave the of campus loop or a dorm just to drive a few hundred feet to occupy a space that a commuter, staff or faculty could had used that don't have a choice.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Another thing USF needs to do is issue restricted parking tags if you live in the dorms across the street near Breckinridge, etc. There are 3 Bull Runners that go around that loop every 10-15 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon, thus there should be no need for those people to drive a few hundred feet to take up a parking space on campus...

Also if you live in a dorm you should not be allowed to move your car, your already on campus and should take the runner or just walk...

Every day when I come to USF I see people leave the of campus loop or a dorm just to drive a few hundred feet to occupy a space that a commuter, staff or faculty could had used that don't have a choice.

That's actually a good idea.  Have a resident tag and a commuter tag and have specific lots for each.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

That's actually a good idea.  Have a resident tag and a commuter tag and have specific lots for each.

maybe this will show how naive I have become to the parking situation but I thought they already had this?

Also, I don't really agree with forcing freshman to not have cars...if Tampa had good public transportation I would agree but it doesn't. I didn't even own a car until I started at USF...spent my first two years of college in Boston and had no need for a car there with public transportation. I made it to New Hampshire on a regular basis as well as to NJ a few times with no problems at all

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Auction the spots off! Highest bidder wins!!!

I walk to campus everyday. Live right next to campus on 50th. There are plenty of people who drive though. I think some of our students are flat out lazy.

• 2 months later...

• Content Count:  398

I

maybe this will show how naive I have become to the parking situation but I thought they already had this?

Also, I don't really agree with forcing freshman to not have cars...if Tampa had good public transportation I would agree but it doesn't. I didn't even own a car until I started at USF...spent my first two years of college in Boston and had no need for a car there with public transportation. I made it to New Hampshire on a regular basis as well as to NJ a few times with no problems at all

I agree. The Bull Runner certainly is not capable of handling a huge influx of students (have you ever ridden one the first week of the fall semester?) and the Hartline is even less capable, with their schedules having busses come by maybe once an hour.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I would like to see some kind of move to reduce the amount of parking on campus... but I am sure this is not a priority.

• Content Count:  19,229

I would like to see some kind of move to reduce the amount of parking on campus... but I am sure this is not a priority.

Reduce parking?  Not sure that is neccessary.  More and more students are attending USF than ever before.  So the demand for parking is increasing.  If you are looking to lower the amount of parking... you are hoping to increase demand?  right?  Wouldn't attendance increase do the same thing?  I would think we would prefer to build more parking garages to ease the situation.  It has been tough to park on campus during mid day for decades.  Now with all the student living on or near campus driving to class, it is even worse than ever before.  UF has something like 12-15 parking garages on campus, and they don't let Freshman have cars (i think they don't let sophomores either... but i don't recall).  We have no where near the parking they do and we let everyone have a car.

I always resented the price of parking tags, especially given how tough it is to park, but maybe the tags aren't high enough.  To many people buy them and use them.

• 9 months later...

• Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

They actually have this already. Residents living along Holly are "R" passes, and residents living along Magnolia are "MR" passes. Students from off campus are "S" passes, and employees are "E" passes.

There are separate lots for each, but I think after about 5:30 you can park where ever you want regardless of your pass except for R and MR spaces since residents are here 24/7, while off campus students and faculty are not.

• Content Count:  1,524

USF needs to reduce the amount of traffic and commuters on campus. I wish the area around campus would be more pedestrian friendly. I guess they said that they are going to make the area around campus like that, but who knows when. If USF reduces the amount of parking, it will force more people to live closer to campus and not commute. That would hopefully increase the area around campus to become even more student friendly.

• Content Count:  565

Now, if 80% of students lived on campus their first year, then there would be a case for not allowing freshman on campus to have a car.  But, the director for ResHalls does not want to require 1st time freshman to live on campus, feeling that it is not right to draw a circle on a map and declare anyone coming to USF living outside of this circle must live on campus their first year.  I agree, even though I do feel that requiring students to live on campus could promote School pride.

Actually, that started this year... If you don't live in Hillsborough, Pinellas, or Pasco county, you are required to live on campus.

Archived