• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should USF ban cars for incoming freshmen?

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Looks like one university is doing it in the state of Florida. Being "green" is one of the factors. Would this be an option for USF? What are your thoughts?

www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/653172.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  684

i think it should happen, there would be numerous benefits, however, with a campus and vast as USF's i doubt it would happen

• Content Count:  971

In deciding between UF and USF, I choose to attend USF because:

1.  I could have a car on-campus as a frosh and

2.  I could have an air-conditioned dorm.

End of story

USF Class of 1975

• Content Count:  3,574

I personally don't see it happening until public transportation improves around USF.

There are plans, but we're looking way down the road.  The article mentioned how students at UM can take the rail (and other public transportation alternatives) or rent Zip cars.

• 1 month later...

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

NO.  There is plenty of Parking at USF.  The only problem is that none of it is as convenient as people would like.  Because people kept whining about parking, PATS decided to get rid of just about every flat lot on campus and replace it with a garage over the next 10-15 years.  Because Garages cost about $5000 more per spot than a flat lot, we have some of the most ridiculous parking prices, that keep going up every year to pay for the garages. 

Now, if 80% of students lived on campus their first year, then there would be a case for not allowing freshman on campus to have a car.  But, the director for ResHalls does not want to require 1st time freshman to live on campus, feeling that it is not right to draw a circle on a map and declare anyone coming to USF living outside of this circle must live on campus their first year.  I agree, even though I do feel that requiring students to live on campus could promote School pride.

• Content Count:  138

USF doesn't want to build more parking.  I wouldn't have came here if I couldn't have a car, and especially if I HAD to live in a dorm freshmen year.

• Content Count:  1,911

There's no need to limit freshmen as long as there are parking spots, and there are. Now, I think on campus residents should have free reign on the park and ride lots and the remote stuff but not in the garages. You can charge them less, but they shouldnt need their car quite as much as others, so make them park further away.

Also, it's a joke that Staff can park in Student lots but not the other way...every staff lot I've seen has a ton more spots than needed. Go look at the engineering staff lot at noon, it's not even half full...

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

i think it should happen, there would be numerous benefits, however, with a campus and vast as USF's i doubt it would happen

UF is plenty vast and bans for underclassmen

I say go for it.

But then, i am an alum and don't have to deal with it anymore.  I was happy I had a car when I lived in the dorm freshman year... but parking was a mess then, and i can only imagine how it is now.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

But then, i am an alum and don't have to deal with it anymore.  I was happy I had a car when I lived in the dorm freshman year... but parking was a mess then, and i can only imagine how it is now.

There's more parking at USF (with the new garages) now than there were when we were there. Only if parking is scarce, I say impose a limit.

• Content Count:  2,307

Make the freshman park in farther lots since they don't use their cars as much as everyone else.

I've heard of school that let freshmen bring their car in, but they pay extra for their parking tag.  A higher price might make students less likely to bring their cars if they won't be driving it much.

Archived