• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should USF ban cars for incoming freshmen?

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

USF needs to reduce the amount of traffic and commuters on campus. I wish the area around campus would be more pedestrian friendly. I guess they said that they are going to make the area around campus like that, but who knows when. If USF reduces the amount of parking, it will force more people to live closer to campus and not commute. That would hopefully increase the area around campus to become even more student friendly.

and...we have a winner. the community will be forced to develop inward towards the campus or risk a large loss in business due to students being unable to drive to said place of commerce. plus, the massive parking lots around campus, particularly up around the maple/cooper/greek area are a huge eye sore.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,726

USF needs to reduce the amount of traffic and commuters on campus. I wish the area around campus would be more pedestrian friendly. I guess they said that they are going to make the area around campus like that, but who knows when. If USF reduces the amount of parking, it will force more people to live closer to campus and not commute. That would hopefully increase the area around campus to become even more student friendly.

and...we have a winner. the community will be forced to develop inward towards the campus or risk a large loss in business due to students being unable to drive to said place of commerce. plus, the massive parking lots around campus, particularly up around the maple/cooper/greek area are a huge eye sore.

SERIOUSLY!!!

Build a **** parking garage next to BETA and make all the rest of that area more classrooms...or MORE eatery's/commercial shops.  Maybe a strip mall with a dry-cleaners or a grocery store for on-campus livers. 

SERIOUSLY!!! It baffles me WHY usf hasnt figured some of this stuff out sometimes.

SHEESH!!!

GOOOO BULLS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  36

Although USF has an abundant parking problem, banning cars for freshmen , like Michigan, would only cause harm. Tampa is a big city with meaningless transportation. Most buses end their route by midnight. Let the freshman have their cars. Let them learn responsibility.

• Content Count:  2,511

Another thing USF needs to do is issue restricted parking tags if you live in the dorms across the street near Breckinridge, etc. There are 3 Bull Runners that go around that loop every 10-15 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon, thus there should be no need for those people to drive a few hundred feet to take up a parking space on campus...

Also if you live in a dorm you should not be allowed to move your car, your already on campus and should take the runner or just walk...

Every day when I come to USF I see people leave the of campus loop or a dorm just to drive a few hundred feet to occupy a space that a commuter, staff or faculty could had used that don't have a choice.

That's actually a good idea.  Have a resident tag and a commuter tag and have specific lots for each.

It was that way when I was an on campus student in the 90's.  When did that change?

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Could not agree more psteazy. East campus is no where near as pretty as west campus. Not only do they need to get rid of the parking lots, but they need to plant some more trees as well. I feel like USF is only focusing on west campus right now. They need to start shaping up east campus.

• Content Count:  2,558

Now, if 80% of students lived on campus their first year, then there would be a case for not allowing freshman on campus to have a car.  But, the director for ResHalls does not want to require 1st time freshman to live on campus, feeling that it is not right to draw a circle on a map and declare anyone coming to USF living outside of this circle must live on campus their first year.  I agree, even though I do feel that requiring students to live on campus could promote School pride.

Actually, that started this year... If you don't live in Hillsborough, Pinellas, or Pasco county, you are required to live on campus.

so what are they going to do about polk manatee arcadia sarasota county residents who go to the other campuses but attend some classes at the tampa campus?  It is stupid to try to force people into living somewhere, what if the students have jobs that are not near campus?  When I was a freshman I had a fulltime job and needed to be able to have a car.  This is the dumbest idea, well right up there with allowing PETA on campus...

Archived