• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

should bj be reshirted

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

How would Gregory get an extra year?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,581
  • Days Won:  29

He is expected to get a Medical RS after this season, but you never know.

• Content Count:  4,016

No one ever 'expects' to get a medical RS, just ask Ben Mauk.  It is an option for Gregory, but it is not a certainty by any stretch particularly since he's already transfered and the NCAA frowns on giving a kid a 6th year who transfered already and sat one season.  My guess is he's probably got a 25% chance of getting it.

BTW, Leavitt has said good things about BJ.  So has just about everyone that has seen him play thus far.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

No one ever 'expects' to get a medical RS, just ask Ben Mauk.  It is an option for Gregory, but it is not a certainty by any stretch particularly since he's already transfered and the NCAA frowns on giving a kid a 6th year who transfered already and sat one season.  My guess is he's probably got a 25% chance of getting it.

BTW, Leavitt has said good things about BJ.  So has just about everyone that has seen him play thus far.

Yup we definitely can't place all our eggs in one basket when it comes to the medical RS.  Yeah we have had great luck with hardship waivers and things of the like but a medical RS is a much more elusive animal, especially when a kid has a transfer on his resume.  We got lucky with the way Grothe came in and stepped up right away with no game experience when pat went down a couple of seasons ago and i wouldn't place the future of the program on being that lucky again.  We gotta remember that we were blessed with the way Matt came in and played with no game experience but that is the exception and not the rule.  In a system like ours where the QB is going to take a lot of hits a good experienced back up is a must and not a luxury.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

Yup we definitely can't place all our eggs in one basket when it comes to the medical RS.  Yeah we have had great luck with hardship waivers and things of the like but a medical RS is a much more elusive animal, especially when a kid has a transfer on his resume.  We got lucky with the way Grothe came in and stepped up right away with no game experience when pat went down a couple of seasons ago and i wouldn't place the future of the program on being that lucky again.  We gotta remember that we were blessed with the way Matt came in and played with no game experience but that is the exception and not the rule.  In a system like ours where the QB is going to take a lot of hits a good experienced back up is a must and not a luxury.     

maybe I am nitpicking here, but PJ brusied a knee in a game where it was stated that Grothe would be getting significant playing time. At that point he had established himself as a serious contender for the starting position. This was based on solid performance during his RS season on the scout team and his progress over the summer. Even if PJ was not hurt, Grothe would have come in to the McNeese State game. You could pretty much tell that the coaching staff had made the switch to MG during those preseason practices. It was nice having PJ as a solid backup but it was night and day when it came to on field performance.

Putting that into a comparative to this season--- Grothe is without doubt the #1. Gregory is a solid #2 backup but with possibly only this year remaining.  Now where this differs from my perspective is more like 3 years ago with Carlton Hill. BJ is quite an athlete-- and he can contribute in many ways beyond just QB. He can add new wrinkles this season even if MG is with him in the backfield. And he simply MUST get reps and work in actual games starting this year. He will get the lion share of backup duty next year--- and when we finaly graduate Matt, he will be ready to take the Bulls forward for two more years. At the same time-- we will continue to get quality QB recruits in house. The next great QB recruit will get to redshirt. And they will compete with BJ for that starting job in 2010/2011 --- but for sure will be slated to take the job for 2012.

That seems pretty reasonable to me-- not like we are wasting anything but ensuring we are prepared for future needs.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  146

ps-- perhaps we have a mindset that it is normal to have a guy be 4 year starter at QB-- after we have been through Marquel Blackwell and now Grothe. It really is pretty rare to have this happen from what I've seen. YOu might get the occasional occurance when you fail to bring in a good recruit or a recruit fails to meet expectations (for us, that was Ronnie Banks and Pat Julmiste). But look at UL when they had Lefevre and Brohme. They had to bring Brohme up to speed that first season because he was their future and the future started the next season.

My ideal situation is to have a QB be an understudy for two years and a starter for two years. Not redshirting BJ accomplishes this as well as giving us a solid and dependable backup next season

• Content Count:  57

where are you getting the idea that landi is a walk on?  he's a 6'4" 200 lb athlete who committed to USF back in november, signed on siigning day and had offers from south carolina and wisconsin.

• Content Count:  4,016

Good stuff bull dozer and mikeg....

mikeg, I think bull dozer's point is spot on.  When Grothe wally pipp'ed' PJ, he was definitely going to get time but I don't think the staff realized how effective he was going to be...practice is one thing, game experience is another.  I remember hearing practice reports from reliable chaps about how Ronnie Banks was awesome, strong arm, accurate, great passer...in games a different guy.

Grothe stepped in green as a RS-FR and took the bull by the horns.  That doesn't happen all the time like you said, and mikeg's ideal situation is spot on that's what all teams strive for is a 2 year rotation at QB...you make sure the understudies get the requisite time so they don't become another Ronnie Banks.

Evan Landi is a nice athlete, and don't count him out either...

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

My ideal situation is to have a QB be an understudy for two years and a starter for two years. 

this is a good plan

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

why wouldnt he be?

you care what i think that is why you were first responder

As much as I would love to redshirt him to save a year. We need to be at least 3 deep at QB. If any injury to Grothe or Gregory, BJ would end up coming out of redshirt anyways. This way he is at least grabbing experience very soon.

not to mention we may have expressed to him that we planned on having him play right away-- something that may have helped bring him to USF. Apparently th coaches like what they are seeing in practice-- so it's a go. Done deal. No need to second guess it anymore.

But then again-- this is a smazza pot-stirring masterpiece. Find something that might inspire discussion, throw out the less informed or less-popular opinion and sit back and watch each side fight it out.

huh- man you guys dont know the game

unfortunately,mikeg never had much experience with college football before usf  got a team

this is a common discussion in the better programs--- whether to redshirt or not? and the better programs and coach's would redshirt bj

i know of a pretty good program that burned a red shirt of a decent qb and won a national championship. 

I was thinking the same thing. LOL

We could probably use BJ in much the same way.

Having said that, I was dead set against playing BJ this year BEFORE Voss left the team.

You need a dependable #3 QB going into a football season, especially with Grothe running the ball as much as he does.

If Grothe does happen to get injured at some point, it wouldn't surprise me if BJ ends up being his #1 replacement within a couple of games.

Archived