• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

should bj be reshirted

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think 90% of us are in agreement. Not to mention it isn't up to us.

for all the other reasons (value of a redshirt year in your pocket) and the fact that playing without a 3rd QB is just plain dangerous, my answer is a resounding NO.

Just a point of order here.  They don't apply for the redshirt until after the season.  If you had BJ as your 3rd QB and he never saw game action (or very limited) you can still apply for his redshirt.

With our schedule he should see plenty of action against

TN-Martin, UCF, FIU, NC State, Cuse, and to a certain extent Lousville and UConn (I'm still not sold on UConn).

I'm not saying he won't.  I was just saying having him as your 3rd QB does not preclude him from being redshirted.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

As some have pointed out...BJ playing this year has as much to do with the 09 season as it does the 08 season. Getting the kid in for those extra practice snaps (beyond running scoutteam) and in limited gametime situations means having some experience at backup in 09. Given the Alton Voss situation...if you redshirt Daniels...next season the cupboard really is bare behind Grothe. (And in '10 we can start the post-Grothe era with a QB who has been practicing and seen playing time for 2 years)

100% agree with this analysis.  And he will play this year at more than the qb spot.  Needs to get aclimated to the speed of the game at the college level.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Redshirt B.J. and put a converted safety at third string, like Gachette.

smart move

should i sense sarcasm?

or are you being serious?

He's serious as a heart attack.  

• Content Count:  2,461

You know the season is ramping up when smazza and mikeg start go'n at it!

HERE COME THE BULLIES!

• Content Count:  407

Redshirt B.J. and put a converted safety at third string, like Gachette.

smart move

should i sense sarcasm?

or are you being serious?

He's serious as a heart attack.  

sometimes its hard to know if hes being serious or sarcastic.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

why wouldnt he be?

you care what i think that is why you were first responder

As much as I would love to redshirt him to save a year. We need to be at least 3 deep at QB. If any injury to Grothe or Gregory, BJ would end up coming out of redshirt anyways. This way he is at least grabbing experience very soon.

not to mention we may have expressed to him that we planned on having him play right away-- something that may have helped bring him to USF. Apparently th coaches like what they are seeing in practice-- so it's a go. Done deal. No need to second guess it anymore.

But then again-- this is a smazza pot-stirring masterpiece. Find something that might inspire discussion, throw out the less informed or less-popular opinion and sit back and watch each side fight it out.

huh- man you guys dont know the game

unfortunately,mikeg never had much experience with college football before usf  got a team

this is a common discussion in the better programs--- whether to redshirt or not? and the better programs and coach's would redshirt bj

totally wrong-- I have been watching football since I was able to walk. I played football for 7 years. I went to a Big Ten school before coming to USF-- and went to every home game and fraternized with the players as I was also on a team there (wrestling).

It wasn't like USf is my first experience with football-- what total nonsense. Even if it were-- I have been around it far more than you ever were --- and think I know more about the program than you seem to think you know about everything.

you need to sthu

• Content Count:  3,403

why wouldnt he be?

As much as I would love to redshirt him to save a year. We need to be at least 3 deep at QB. If any injury to Grothe or Gregory, BJ would end up coming out of redshirt anyways. This way he is at least grabbing experience very soon.

not to mention we may have expressed to him that we planned on having him play right away-- something that may have helped bring him to USF. Apparently th coaches like what they are seeing in practice-- so it's a go. Done deal. No need to second guess it anymore.

But then again-- this is a smazza pot-stirring masterpiece. Find something that might inspire discussion, throw out the less informed or less-popular opinion and sit back and watch each side fight it out.

unfortunately,mikeg never had much experience with college football before usf  got a team

this is a common discussion in the better programs--- whether to redshirt or not? and the better programs and coach's would redshirt bj

totally wrong-- I have been watching football since I was able to walk. I played football for 7 years. I went to a Big Ten school before coming to USF-- and went to every home game and fraternized with the players as I was also on a team there (wrestling).

It wasn't like USf is my first experience with football-- what total nonsense. Even if it were-- I have been around it far more than you ever were --- and think I know more about the program than you seem to think you know about everything.

you need to sthu

owned.

• Content Count:  993

why wouldnt he be?

unfortunately,mikeg never had much experience with college football before usf  got a team

i know of a pretty good program that burned a red shirt of a decent qb and won a national championship. 

• Content Count:  159

why wouldnt he be?

How do you know there are not plans to use BJ this year to help the team win games?  If so, you have to use him if you think it can make you more successful this season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

BJ just arrived and haven't heard outstanding comments from Leavitt on him.

Let's see how this summer ends up. He may need the RS.

Gregory may get his extra year also in 2009.

I think RSing BJ in 2008 is best for USF.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived