• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

should bj be reshirted

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

I'm with smazza. I think he should be redshirted. How many reps did Severino get last year? The UCF game I think is it. Let's not burn a year, and just let Gregory handle the backup duties.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

I'm with smazza. I think he should be redshirted. How many reps did Severino get last year? The UCF game I think is it. Let's not burn a year, and just let Gregory handle the backup duties.

that plan is great as long as nobody ever gets hurt. Last season Grothe did not leave a game hurt until Oregon. The year before-- he got banged up more often and had to leave in favor of Julmiste.

You have to have a third guy-- and BJ is not jut useful as a QB-- he is an athlete who can contribute in many positions while not backing up G/G. Redshirting him is simply not an option short of finding another QB that  can be a reliable option for third string.

trust me-- the guy will get his time to shine someday as the starter-- and then the next QB will be there to replace them. You have to trust that we can finally recruit solid QBs. Ideally-- yeah sure-- let him redshirt. But without any viable backup to lean on, you have to pull the trigger. This is a solid football decision.

• Content Count:  2,478

why wouldnt he be?

you care what i think that is why you were first responder

As much as I would love to redshirt him to save a year. We need to be at least 3 deep at QB. If any injury to Grothe or Gregory, BJ would end up coming out of redshirt anyways. This way he is at least grabbing experience very soon.

why wouldnt he be?

you care what i think that is why you were first responder

As much as I would love to redshirt him to save a year. We need to be at least 3 deep at QB. If any injury to Grothe or Gregory, BJ would end up coming out of redshirt anyways. This way he is at least grabbing experience very soon.

not to mention we may have expressed to him that we planned on having him play right away-- something that may have helped bring him to USF. Apparently th coaches like what they are seeing in practice-- so it's a go. Done deal. No need to second guess it anymore.

But then again-- this is a smazza pot-stirring masterpiece. Find something that might inspire discussion, throw out the less informed or less-popular opinion and sit back and watch each side fight it out.

• Content Count:  7,890

i say yes

I'm not a practice and havent seen the kid play other than in HS so I am not one to say. I'll leave it up to the coaching staff. Now think of it this way do you want Grothe's back-up next year to have NO playing time at all. I think not.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

yes he should be redshirted no questions asked

• Content Count:  4,738

Someone on here mentioned not redshirting BJ makes us fully comited to getting some hotshit recruit.  If that is the case, even smazza shoud understand.  We need to recruit!

• Content Count:  993

let him play.  he isn't going to be used like severino.  probably more of 2a Gregory 2b Daniels.

• Content Count:  385

We have the opportunity to do something special this year... I agree with Leavitt's decision to let this kid play.

Also, Gregory will not get more playing time than BJ, so don't try and act like BJ will be taking Severino's role of clipboard handler this year. He will have an impact on a very good team. And who's to say he wont be starting in 09

We have the opportunity to do something special this year... I agree with Leavitt's decision to let this kid play.

Also, Gregory will not get more playing time than BJ, so don't try and act like BJ will be taking Severino's role of clipboard handler this year. He will have an impact on a very good team. And who's to say he wont be starting in 09

severino was more than a clipboard holder --- he was our holdeer for kicks for many years.

and one thing people forget far too often-- the original purpose of the redshirt year was to be used for injuries-- and I'm not talking about a severe version of the medical redshirt either.

I like that he gets out there and plays--- and should he get hurt down the line, he has the luxury of taking the season off to recuperate

Archived