• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the perception of USF fans

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

Ladies and Gents;

I read the initial pages of this thread, grew frustrated, and angrily skipped to the last page so that I could promptly reply.  If the theme of my message has been said before, I am sorry for repeating in my ignorance.

However, I want to take the unpopular (but realistic) stand here.  I am not necessarily “proud†to say that I am one of those obnoxious students that stand in the front row during every home football game and launch obscenities at the visiting teams.  But, nonetheless, reality shows that I am, indeed, one of those fans.  However, I would like to make a case on my behalf (and on the behalf of all the other “unruly†students that seem so despised in this thread).

First of all, let’s make this clear: A student’s personality at a football game isn’t necessarily his personality away from this environment.  For example, I am 24 years old, served in the military, maintain dual majors, participate in the Honors College and have a cumulative 3.8 G.P.A. as a junior here at USF.  I feel like a decent enough guy.  However, when West Virginia’s players were warming up in our endzone and Noel Devine looked at my buds and I with his obnoxious mouthful of gold, I did NOT want him to see that nice guy.  And he did not. And I am proud of that.  I would like to imagine that the loss hurt just a little more to White, Slaton, and company when they remember how much satisfaction USF’s fans got from it. 

Is vulgar language accepted throughout the stadium?  Probably not.  Is it acceptable in the student section?  Absolutely.  A post here suggested that some wrongly perceive home games as social events.  I think the person stating this is wrong; football games ARE social events.  Students attend universities to gain educations. We go to football games to enjoy ourselves. 

Moreover, someone else suggested that vulgar fans are football-ignorant fans.  I disagree.  I have been to every home game since I enrolled.  I traveled to El Paso.  I traveled to Boca Raton.  My roommates and I participate in a WBUL sports radio show.  I would say that I am pretty passionate about sports and knowledgeable to boot.  Before home games, we surely tailgate and get intoxicated.  We also, however, wait in line to gain those front row seats in the student section.  Given our level of dedication, we have the right to, really, choose whatever sort of language we prefer.

Two final points: First, posters want to compare USF’s fans to those that follow other institutions.  Folks, we are not Auburn.  We are not Penn State.  We are the University of South Florida.  In the SEC, the “Greek†communities dress in coats and bowties (sundresses for the ladies) for home games.  This idea was presented to out Greek community at USF and was quickly rejected.  Why?  Because we do not want to be Florida’s fans.  We want to be Bulls fans. 

Sometimes you have to embrace who you are.  And we are an unruly bunch.

Finally, please accept the larger picture.  USF is in Tampa, Florida.  This city is far from the cultural mecca of America.  And, to the city’s credit, it doesn’t attempt to be.  Maybe we are a bit “dirtier†than the average fan base.  So be it.  It’s the personality of the area.  Embrace it.  The university sure has; I recall “Party Like a Rockstar†and “Superman†by Souljah Boy being the working Bulls themes throughout the season in Ray J.  I can think of no better examples of class.  ;)

Anyway… I had to say something.  All the posts here seemed to build off each other and restate the same sentiments.  Someone had to speak on behalf of “our side.†

Thanks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Ladies and Gents;

I read the initial pages of this thread, grew frustrated, and angrily skipped to the last page so that I could promptly reply.  If the theme of my message has been said before, I am sorry for repeating in my ignorance.

However, I want to take the unpopular (but realistic) stand here.  I am not necessarily “proud†to say that I am one of those obnoxious students that stand in the front row during every home football game and launch obscenities at the visiting teams.  But, nonetheless, reality shows that I am, indeed, one of those fans.  However, I would like to make a case on my behalf (and on the behalf of all the other “unruly†students that seem so despised in this thread).

First of all, let’s make this clear: A student’s personality at a football game isn’t necessarily his personality away from this environment.  For example, I am 24 years old, served in the military, maintain dual majors, participate in the Honors College and have a cumulative 3.8 G.P.A. as a junior here at USF.  I feel like a decent enough guy.  However, when West Virginia’s players were warming up in our endzone and Noel Devine looked at my buds and I with his obnoxious mouthful of gold, I did NOT want him to see that nice guy.  And he did not. And I am proud of that.  I would like to imagine that the loss hurt just a little more to White, Slaton, and company when they remember how much satisfaction USF’s fans got from it. 

Is vulgar language accepted throughout the stadium?  Probably not.  Is it acceptable in the student section?  Absolutely.  A post here suggested that some wrongly perceive home games as social events.  I think the person stating this is wrong; football games ARE social events.  Students attend universities to gain educations. We go to football games to enjoy ourselves. 

Moreover, someone else suggested that vulgar fans are football-ignorant fans.  I disagree.  I have been to every home game since I enrolled.  I traveled to El Paso.  I traveled to Boca Raton.  My roommates and I participate in a WBUL sports radio show.  I would say that I am pretty passionate about sports and knowledgeable to boot.  Before home games, we surely tailgate and get intoxicated.  We also, however, wait in line to gain those front row seats in the student section.  Given our level of dedication, we have the right to, really, choose whatever sort of language we prefer.

Two final points: First, posters want to compare USF’s fans to those that follow other institutions.  Folks, we are not Auburn.  We are not Penn State.  We are the University of South Florida.  In the SEC, the “Greek†communities dress in coats and bowties (sundresses for the ladies) for home games.  This idea was presented to out Greek community at USF and was quickly rejected.  Why?  Because we do not want to be Florida’s fans.  We want to be Bulls fans.   

Sometimes you have to embrace who you are.  And we are an unruly bunch.

Finally, please accept the larger picture.  USF is in Tampa, Florida.  This city is far from the cultural mecca of America.  And, to the city’s credit, it doesn’t attempt to be.  Maybe we are a bit “dirtier†than the average fan base.  So be it.  It’s the personality of the area.  Embrace it.  The university sure has; I recall “Party Like a Rockstar†and “Superman†by Souljah Boy being the working Bulls themes throughout the season in Ray J.  I can think of no better examples of class.  ;)

Anyway… I had to say something.  All the posts here seemed to build off each other and restate the same sentiments.  Someone had to speak on behalf of “our side.†

Thanks.

bravo!

:clap

altho i've been speaking on behalf of "our side" for some time now.

graduated USF with a 4.0 institutional GPA (we shall not speak of my GPA at CC while getting my AA), but when it comes to football games my education is the last thing im thinking about.

if u are wearing opponent's fan gear when u walk by the student section, u will get bombarded.

if u are wearing Gayturd gear when u walk by my corner of the student section, i will whip out my genitals and urinate on u.

;D

• Content Count:  260

Don't take this wrong... but our student section ... for good or bad... can be exceptionally brutal and ugly.  Personally, I do not like hearing the "over rated" chant. And the other one is the "na na na na hey hey hey goodbye".   

Isn't enough that you beat them?   Have any of you ever travelled?  We went to the Penn State game and you would never hear those chants from Penn State.

Bottom line...  yes, we can be class less.

wow - you are really wrong there.  perhaps you didnt hear anything derogatory because penn state doesnt view you as an equal, a rival, a threat, etc.  i can thell you PSU has some really bad fans - just ask anyone who has a long time rivalry with them.

not that i mean to single out penn state - there are bad apples everywhere.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

wow - you are really wrong there.  perhaps you didnt hear anything derogatory because penn state doesnt view you as an equal, a rival, a threat, etc.  i can thell you PSU has some really bad fans - just ask anyone who has a long time rivalry with them.

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think our students are that bad..

Even though it was mean as hell and totally unacceptable...that was still pretty **** funny

• Content Count:  5,241

LOL!

...And then Ohio State beat them...

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Our student section is wild and crazy, and I love it. Where I sit, there are nothing but really old alumns behind us. If opposing teams are going to hate on us for being obnoxious, let them. We are what we are, and I think I can unequivocably say that our home games are never a cake-walk for visiting teams if our fans have anything to do with it. It's called home field advantage.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Fraternities, social clubs for kids who aren't tough on their own. 

Archived