• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bad News Fellas: Texas Tech to the Gator Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I don't understand... they are going to take an unranked team over a ranked team simply because they might (MIGHT) get Notre Dame of West Virginia next year?

In college football Notre Dame= fans in seats (those that love them and hate them) and TV viewers (those that love them and hate them).  ND would be picked over all but a handful of teams. 

On the other end of the spectrum, USF is an unknown quantity on traveling and the last couple years have not been impressive on bowl travel.  Hell we have fans now that are unwilling to travel for "lower" bowls. 

But there is no indication that ND or WV would be available for the gator bowl... why wouldn't they just take the best team this year regardless of the next couple of years. It just seems like a lot of if's to base your decision on this year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

According To Brett's Blog it will be between the Sun and Care Care

Hopefully it would be the sun as we would get to play a Pac 10 team for the first time and it gets a better payout from the BE

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

I don't understand... they are going to take an unranked team over a ranked team simply because they might (MIGHT) get Notre Dame of West Virginia next year?

and it leaves their options open next year. With that thinking why not take Cincy or UCONN, those are ranked teams that have beaten us? Look at the big picture folks.

• Content Count:  5,903

and it leaves their options open next year. With that thinking why not take Cincy or UCONN, those are ranked teams that have beaten us? Look at the big picture folks.

I am looking at the "big picture."

The Gator Bowl doesn't know anything about next year. They are banking on the fact that maybe Notre Dame can recover and get 6 wins. They are also banking on the fact that Texas Tech will have a better attendance than USF.

I could say the same for UConn and Cinci, but they aren't exactly around within the state like USF is.

What I am trying to say, is the gator bowl is gambling on Notre Dame or WV. They could have not the best attendance this year and STILL not have Notre Dame or WV next year.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Just to note in the human poll TT is ranked higher than us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

I am looking at the "big picture."

The Gator Bowl doesn't know anything about next year. They are banking on the fact that maybe Notre Dame can recover and get 6 wins. They are also banking on the fact that Texas Tech will have a better attendance than USF.

I could say the same for UConn and Cinci, but they aren't exactly around within the state like USF is.

What I am trying to say, is the gator bowl is gambling on Notre Dame or WV. They could have not the best attendance this year and STILL not have Notre Dame or WV next year.

well next year they could take a school from either conference. If they go B-12 this year. If I were on the gator Bowl selection team, I would lean towards a B-12 team.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Its not a gamble at all.  Lets say ND doesn't make the Gator in the next 2 years, they should be able to get either a decent WVU, USF, RU, Louisville, or Cincinnati team for that game.  So, how exactly is that a gamble when basically every year the same teams are available to choose from.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Just have to crack up sometimes at reading some of these threads.  Some people on here go on and on about how this season was not a disappointment and then those same people ***** and moan about the possibility of going to a lower tier bowl.  If you don't finish at the top, you don't get to be picked with the top choices. 

Why worry about where we are going at this point.  The only official invitation from any bowl that I have heard about so far is that Navy accepted the Poinsettia Bowl.  There is still a lot of football to play until it all settles.  As far as the Meineke goes, you can't compare an unknown travel base going to our first bowl from 2 years ago to this year's team.  We'll probably have the second best attendance in the conference this year.  There is a lot of interest in the program as we have drawn the highest ratings for a Thursday night game this year (2nd best ever), the highest ratings ever for a Friday night game.  We have several players with national name recognition,and  a team that was everyone's media focus for a few weeks earlier in the year.  There is a lot of excitement surrounding the program for a bowl to draw on.  If it comes down to us, UCONN or Cincy for the Sun Bowl, I have to think we are a much better draw for them because the way the bowl is set up.  There is only 8,000 tickets allocated to BE members meaning they need to rely on TV viewership to be successful rather selling a full allotment of tickets.  In that regard, only Rutgers is as appealing.  There has been a lot of disappointment from there fans so I am not so sure if they will travel as well this year as they did last year.  They may, but anything less than the Gator or BCS for them this year was a total letdown.

Still lots of football to play before things shake out.  Too early to waste energy specualting.  The only thing these threads are good for are some funny entertainment.

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

I still don't get how i'm a loser for being upset that I probably wont see USF play in the Gator Bowl, like I said i'm willing to consider Charlotte but I really don't think I can afford a couple nights hotel rooms or all the gas needed with the prices the way they are. I fail to see why wanting to see my second favorite team is bad. If UCLA was playing in a Florida bowl game, and they were my second favorite team and I was considering going to their bowl game over USF's due to money would I still get all the **** that I do? I don't think so.

• Content Count:  1,113

Well unfortunately our problem is work schedules.  Getting time off during holidays are rough and unfortunately I work in an area where if quota is filled for people out on vacation tough crap.  The only bowls we can get to are the Meineke and Gatorbowl.  Would have to fly to Meineke so kinda bummed out about Gator but either way if we can't be there at least we will be watching and cheering!!!!

Lots of fans we have talked to won't go back to the Pizza bowl.  Most have said they would love the Meineke.  So who knows, it ain't over till the "fat lady sings".  She isn't done ........yet!

Archived