• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One Week's Notice

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

wow...my job really sucks...

ANYONE IN THE LAKELAND AREA HIRING?!?!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Let me just say that Hermie is a character...you erased all doubt in my mind that Beub + Joe = Herm. But that's okay because I like FrankenHerm the best! At least your posts are somewhat funny. And if by "boxers" he means bikini briefs, he can have them back whenever you cough them up.

Back to this job thing...

I'm putting in my two weeks notice today. I know I'm just an intern but if I were to burn any bridges and this Research position at USF doesn't work out, I could be messing up a very well compensated Entry Level position when I graduate.

I don't have enough professional miles to offer advice but if you ever want to go in to the military, come find me.

I do know that if the packages will be equivalent then the choice is whatever makes you happiest.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Don't always follow the money.  If there is a large difference (20% or more), then you certainly have to consider it more.  But I always value long term prospects over short term.  If you are happier at a place that has more career opportunities, you'll likely perform better and have a better chance to make money in the long term.

In other words, if the money is close work where you are most comfortable.  It will reduce the blood pressure and lead to better opportunities.

• Content Count:  1,812

Is that raise really worth it if you think they are going to cut the ladder anyway?

Actually, there's a nugget or two of sage advice in Hermie's otherwise ignorant ranting.  That's the great part about being an editor... you can spot those things quickly.   ;)

I was told by my boss's boss that my position is not in danger of being cut (although my boss's is because they're looking to trim managerial staff, and his 5 to 1 ratio isn't cutting it), because it's nearly impossible to offshore communications-related positions effectively, particularly in user interaction.

At the end of the day, though, it's a raise that would immediately bring me to where I'll be with my NEW company in 12 months... and the new company offers the 40% telecommute option.  So it's really a 1-year band aid and I'll be in the exact same place with each organization.  The question then is this:  Is 40% telecommute worth delaying the raise for one year, knowing that I'll be there in 12 months?

Went through the same thing at my last company, every time I even thought about leaving they gave me a raise. I finally asked why they did not pay what I was worth and deal with issues I had in the beginning. When I did leave they offered to pay 10% over my highest offer, I gave them some advice I learned a while back when I was managing a lot of people. When someone is looking; they are as good as gone and nothing will change that. I get offers now unsolicited and always say I am not looking and give it no more thought.

You were looking for a reason so remember the reasons and do not think about the money.

Herman the more you post the more you sound like a 13 year old- or is it Ryan?

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Update:

I rejected their 8% raise offer and made an argument for a better number based on my skill set, Master's degree, etc.

Received a new offer today of +12.6% with an additional 4 vacation days per year.

• Content Count:  1,911

Atta boy! beers are on eats it

• Content Count:  3,574

Update:

I rejected their 8% raise offer and made an argument for a better number based on my skill set, Master's degree, etc.

Received a new offer today of +12.6% with an additional 4 vacation days per year.

Is this for the current job or the new one?

Sorry if you already answered this.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I'd have them throw in a suite at RJS for all Bulls home games and then sign on the dotted line.

• Content Count:  1,985

Take their counter offer and they will cut you loose on their terms.  At least that is my experience.  You just proved your disloyalty in their eyes.  

My thought here has always been commit to the move, if it is because they did not promote you, raise you, etc. then they step up, you are not going to be happy long term.  

You will feel obligated to stay if you accept, and when it is crappy again this will bite you.

• Content Count:  1,812

Take their counter offer and they will cut you loose on their terms.  At least that is my experience.  You just proved your disloyalty in their eyes.  

My thought here has always been commit to the move, if it is because they did not promote you, raise you, etc. then they step up, you are not going to be happy long term.  

You will feel obligated to stay if you accept, and when it is crappy again this will bite you.

Agree with all the way, I have actually done this myself, offer more money to an employee leaving and then start looking for someone to replace them on my terms- no notice just a pack and leave you have been replaced- everyone is replaceable and most at a lower wage.

Archived