• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One Week's Notice

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

If the shoe were on the other foot, and your boss wanted to let you go, do you think he would give you 2 weeks notice??????

Florida, unfortunately, is a state where you are at the mercy of the boss.  They call it a "right to work" state  LOL, want to bet?    You have the right to work at the boss' pleasure.

No matter, I still love Florida and I wish you well in your new endeavor.

Most states are right to work- meaning you do not have to be a member of a Union to be employed.

Companies are running scared when it comes to given any info on past employees so do not worry about that. I have been on both sides of this issue the bottom line is the relationship you have with former boss and the reference he can give as a personal reference and how you are viewed by clients.

In short 2 weeks for low level jobs is fine but the higher you go the more useless it becomes- no one wants someone who is leaving hanging around giving off bad vibes- this I have found is the case no matter how well meaning any professional is.

I am sure your work and dealings with others are impeccable and in this small world of networks and business that will be known no matter how many weeks you give. I was a CFO and when you leave in that position you are gone quick and that is what I did and never had a problem getting work. I hire every day and have never checked a formal reference, the level of people I hire (Mid level-Sr Management) have reputations that speak for themselves and I do not care how they fit in at old place only how they will work for me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,593
  • Days Won:  29

I would try to give them the 2 weeks.

When I left my last job, I gave a few months to help train ... and when I came back, the president still thought I "left them hanging"  ::)

It worked out for the better when they didn't hire me and I went to the same position with a stronger and international company.

Hard work "almost" always pays off.

Best of Luck Matt ! ... and 83 in your job search. I admit that I was concerned when I came back, but was lucky that only after a week received an offer. And I only went to past employers(3) and 1 competition of last employer. I never burned a bridge.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

FYI, upper management came at me today with an offer of a promotion and an 8% salary increase...

Still mulling it over.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Is that raise really worth it if you think they are going to cut the ladder anyway?

• Content Count:  1,911

This is why I became self employed.  That, and every morning I wake up and I can say my boss is the best looking, coolest guy int he world.   :D

i dont believe you are being harsh at all, I would counter offer that 8% raise with some extra perks.  If they really want you they will keep you.  

i quit my last job when they tried dumping a 10 person work load on me after a major glitch in our company auction website with zero incentive.  I left at luch (shady I know) but i was so in with the main hr lady of the company, even took her ugly daughter on a few dates, so if you were to call to ask about hermie momart she would say exceptional worker.   gotta get connects in every situation possible.  

you can always go work for wolfpackradio with your new best friend.  

• Content Count:  928

[smiley=iamwithstupid.gif] .

• Content Count:  1,911

seaballs go back to seattle and be depressed weirdo.  

btw, reuben wants you to return the boxer shorts you stole from his dresser.  

i may be stupid but i can promise you i have lost double the money you have ever made gambling alone.

Is that raise really worth it if you think they are going to cut the ladder anyway?

Actually, there's a nugget or two of sage advice in Hermie's otherwise ignorant ranting.  That's the great part about being an editor... you can spot those things quickly.   ;)

I was told by my boss's boss that my position is not in danger of being cut (although my boss's is because they're looking to trim managerial staff, and his 5 to 1 ratio isn't cutting it), because it's nearly impossible to offshore communications-related positions effectively, particularly in user interaction.

At the end of the day, though, it's a raise that would immediately bring me to where I'll be with my NEW company in 12 months... and the new company offers the 40% telecommute option.  So it's really a 1-year band aid and I'll be in the exact same place with each organization.  The question then is this:  Is 40% telecommute worth delaying the raise for one year, knowing that I'll be there in 12 months?

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Can you ask your current employer to add a telecommute option?  just curious.  That is a pretty valuable thing.  I have a 20% telecommute setup and I love it!

We have an informal telecommute policy as it is... if I want to WAH and there's nothing major going on, I can.  But there's no official structure or standards regarding the practice.

Archived