• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One Week's Notice

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

That's what I gave my employer today, as I've been offered a senior-level position with another organization doing exactly what I love to do (design and produce interactive E-Learning materials).

Now, I normally don't burn bridges and what not.  I play by the books.  But, given the current situation of impending layoffs, reorganization, salary freezes, the inability to even garner consideration for a promotion, and the effort to outsource as much as possible to India, I feel that I don't owe them anything at this point.  Harsh?  Perhaps.

Thoughts?

when someone quits and gives notice i let them leave and pay them

i hate lame duck employees

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

That's what I gave my employer today, as I've been offered a senior-level position with another organization doing exactly what I love to do (design and produce interactive E-Learning materials).

Now, I normally don't burn bridges and what not.  I play by the books.  But, given the current situation of impending layoffs, reorganization, salary freezes, the inability to even garner consideration for a promotion, and the effort to outsource as much as possible to India, I feel that I don't owe them anything at this point.  Harsh?  Perhaps.

Thoughts?

when someone quits and gives notice i let them leave and pay them

i hate lame duck employees

Agreed, dealing with one now that is out of my control and it is driving me nuts.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

It's been a crazy weekend here at Casa de Eats It

A third suitor for my services has emerged... 14.5% over where I am now, 4 wks paid vac., and a guaranteed 5% annual increase.

With as many doors that have opened for me over the last two weeks, I'm in awe.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

It's been a crazy weekend here at Casa de Eats It

A third suitor for my services has emerged... 14.5% over where I am now, 4 wks paid vac., and a guaranteed 5% annual increase.

With as many doors that have opened for me over the last two weeks, I'm in awe.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to be told this but, just in case, guaranteed annual increases don't mean a thing if the company isn't around. Sounds like you're pretty marketable so you wouldn't have a problem landing somewhere else but the health of the companies you're choosing between needs to be taken into consideration also.

Oh, of course... I've done my due diligence on all possible places in regards to long term stability.  This third one is actually a position working within Medicare... which isn't going anywhere.

• Content Count:  928

Over at Casa de SeaBull, I was able to negotiate my 2 weeks notice to a 1 week notice, while still maintaining a good report with HR. I'll start my 12 month long research at USF on Monday!!

Congrats on your positions __EI. I was told by a mentor to never shut the door on opportunity.

Ditto, Sea.  Good luck at your new gig.  My new company has a 100% tuition reimbursement program, even for Ph.D programs, so my intent is to get the Ph.D and come back and teach at USF for my "golden years".

• Content Count:  7,379

Ditto, Sea.  Good luck at your new gig.  My new company has a 100% tuition reimbursement program, even for Ph.D programs, so my intent is to get the Ph.D and come back and teach at USF for my "golden years".

Most PhD programs pay your tuition and a bit of a stipend for working for the professors. Just so you know.

• Content Count:  3,574

So did you accept the third company?

Just curious, but did you contact these 2 new companies, or how did they know you were in the market?  Or is this more of a networking connection you have on the side?

I accepted the third company, yes.

I had begun the interviewing process about six weeks ago by visiting indeed.com and finding opportunities.  I sent out a slew of resumes and received about seven responses, four of which I interviewed for.  Two others, I spoke with personnel but was overqualified after discussing the specifics of the position.

Of my four interviews, I ended up receiving two great offers, plus the counter from my existing employer.  Not bad for an English major.  ;-)

Archived