• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One Week's Notice

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

That's what I gave my employer today, as I've been offered a senior-level position with another organization doing exactly what I love to do (design and produce interactive E-Learning materials).

Now, I normally don't burn bridges and what not.  I play by the books.  But, given the current situation of impending layoffs, reorganization, salary freezes, the inability to even garner consideration for a promotion, and the effort to outsource as much as possible to India, I feel that I don't owe them anything at this point.  Harsh?  Perhaps.

Thoughts?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

I dont disagree. I have found that employers want you to do favors for them and then treat you like ****. I am currently looking for something else myself. I cant wait until I find something and give my 2 weeks.

• Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

Matt, After doing the corporate ladder climbing for 15 years and then having the ladder chopped in half, I realized the only person looking out for you is "yourself".  I  hope your new opportunity goes well.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Now, I normally don't burn bridges and what not.

I wouldn't start now ... You never, ever know what the future has in store.

All bets are off, though, if you win the lottery.  ;)

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Congrats on the new gig...I, however, would be careful not to burn bridges.  Everything and everyone is networked one way or another it seems.  You're a relatively young fellow and could likely run into these chaps in the future.

But, if you have already given the one week notice, you aren't looking for our advice.  

Best of luck to you mate.  

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Congrats on the new gig...I, however, would be careful not to burn bridges.  Everything and everyone is networked one way or another it seems.  You're a relatively young fellow and could likely run into these chaps in the future.

But, if you have already given the one week notice, you aren't looking for our advice.  

Best of luck to you mate.  

I totally agree here.

It seems that you have already made your decision for the 1 week notice.

If I could go back... I would do 2 weeks (and work your a$$ off during those 2 weeks).

Good luck and congrats!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Having been a manager in past days, I can tell you that if an H.R. rep detects any animosity towards the company (usually a one-week notice is considered same) they will just mark you "ineligible for rehire" and not say a word to you.  You may already know that.  It'll bring you two problems:

1)  You'll never work for that company again, and more importantly

2)  Potential future employers may be told you are not  eligible for re-hire at that reference with no further information provided (for fear of lawsuit), leaving your prospective employer to wonder "why?".  Was it a one-week notice problem as the applicant says or was it worse (embezzlement, harassment, incompetence, etc.).

It's tough sometimes when you leave a job, but I recommend always leaving on outstanding terms.  I hired people for about 20 years...I've seen some good applicants shot down over the old "ineligible for rehire" reference.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Brad:

I do see what you're saying, and yes, I've already done it.  I was just trying to foster dialogue as to what people though about it.  

I guess I worry slightly about what they may or may not say about me if called for a reference.  But my CV speaks for itself, and I have numerous senior managers in this organization who have offered their services as a positive reference.

I appreciate the input from everybody.  Change sucks, but as FLBeach said... the only person who looks out for you is you.  My manager himself told us that if they were to cut our jobs and ship our work to India, they wouldn't give US the customary two weeks notice.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

If the shoe were on the other foot, and your boss wanted to let you go, do you think he would give you 2 weeks notice??????

Florida, unfortunately, is a state where you are at the mercy of the boss.  They call it a "right to work" state  LOL, want to bet?    You have the right to work at the boss' pleasure.

No matter, I still love Florida and I wish you well in your new endeavor.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

At least one week is neccessary.

Archived