• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reasons we will not succeed in the BE -$$-

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

I have mentioned this before.  We will remain a mid major school until spending on programs increase.

From Equity in Athletics web site. Spending on the football programs (rounded).

Syracuse     $15,008,000

Pitt              $12,087,000

WV             $11,328,000

UConn        $10,433,000

Rutgers       $10,667,000

Louisville     $8,988,000

Cincy          $7,078,000

USF            $5,378,000

http://ope.ed.gov/ATHLETICS/Search.asp

We have a long way to go.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

Serious question -- What does having more money have to do with it?  Greater recruiting area (travel money)?  I am new to some of this.  Thanks for the help in advance.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

That list certainly does not prove that spending equals results, we may be spending a third of what Cuse is but that certainly is not translating onto the field. We are not that far from Louisville and no one would argue that they are having trouble finding an identity on the national level.

Equipment, coaches, recruiting (a big one, I don't mean illegal stuff), Practice facilities, Dinning facilities, etc. Things that impress recruiting and can bring a constant flow of GOOD players to USF.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

I have mentioned this before.  We will remain a mid major school until spending on programs increase.

Syracuse     $15,008,000

UConn        $10,433,000

And you just proved nothing.  L'ville spends almost half as much as Syracuse yet they are the 2nd best team in the league.  While USF's $5M can kick 'Cuse's $15M ass on the field.

That list certainly does not prove that spending equals results, we may be spending a third of what Cuse is but that certainly is not translating onto the field. We are not that far from Louisville and no one would argue that they are having trouble finding an identity on the national level.

Wait and watch Cuse in two years.  Louisville has been spending more than us for a while.  I think there is a pattern., cause and affect.

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903

Syracuse     $15,008,000

UConn        $10,433,000

Well, there is certainly a correlation between money spent and how well a team does... but, there is also a decreasing return to it as well. I tend to think we are beyond the point where money has such an important effect on the results. We have a practice field, we have a nice atheltic department, and we have an okay coaching staff. Would another $100,000 add one more win to our record? Another $1,000,000 add one more win? Money only goes so far.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Well, that's why we won't be the instant success this year or next year maybe not the next, but now that we are in the BE, we do get a split of the post season football regardless of whether we make a bowl or not.  if we do make a bowl, that's even more money for the pot.  I believe we made almost $2 million last year by going to a bowl and the our split of the conference money.  that was a huge jump over what it was in CUSA.  

bring that up in a couple of more years and see if the results are the same.  

As much as we all want it, there is no such thing as instant success for a lot of reasons.

Well, there is certainly a correlation between money spent and how well a team does... but, there is also a decreasing return to it as well. I tend to think we are beyond the point where money has such an important effect on the results. We have a practice field, we have a nice atheltic department, and we have an okay coaching staff. Would another $100,000 add one more win to our record? Another $1,000,000 add one more win? Money only goes so far.

That is my point, maybe spending and additional $2,000,000 may buy you two more wins and a winning season.  Winning seasons buy recruits.  True top recruits (those that can qualify and don't come with baggage) will grow the program.